Photo

Fan Mission: A Reputation to Uphold, by Springheel

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: A Reputation to Uphold, by Springheel (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. challenge, fun, ect. vs bugs. frustration, boredom, etc.

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (12 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

4. Excellent (17 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

5. Near Perfect (9 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

Appearance: visual pleasure, lighting, artistic style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. Good (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Excellent (17 votes [44.74%])

5. Near Perfect (17 votes [44.74%])

Story & Text: story, texts, briefing, graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. Good (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

4. Excellent (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

5. Near Perfect (12 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36409 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

POPULAR

I'm happy to announce the release of A Reputation to Uphold.

follow03.jpg

This mission continues the story of the thief Corbin, as he deals with the consequences of his actions against Sykes in A Score to Settle (though it is not necessary to play that mission first).

This mission was meant to be a speed-build, and relies heavily on prefabs, both existing ones and ones I created. Build time turned out to be about three months.

I tried to do something a little different to increase the replay value of this mission. Instead of typical difficulty levels, there are three different gameplay styles, each of which present a unique challenge. I'd like to think it's worth playing all three, but don't start with "Timed" first, as it's the most difficult.

Special thanks: grayman for help with many problems; Goldwell and Narrator for additional vocals; Sotha for his lean and urinate animations; Flanders, Skacky and Bikerdude for map elements; Bikerdude, Airship Ballet, Xarg, Araneidae, and Goldwell for beta-testing, and to Melan and everyone else who contributed prefabs to TDM.

Note: the Break-in difficulty introduces a slightly different style of gameplay; your lightgem is always 4 levels higher than normal, which means nearby ai can see you even in total darkness. You'll need to use cover and distance to remain undetected.

Download here:

http://www.mindplaces.com/follow.pk4

edit:  please make sure you have Version 2 installed.  This version fixes a mod issue that caused the mission to end too early if AI were alerted early in the mission.

• AluminumHaste, Melan, HMart and 17 others like this

#2 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11840 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Congratulations!

#3 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11840 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Download from where?

#4 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Im quite curious to see what this one achieves. Im happy to see this is not a separate time-space, that it follows and expands on A Score to Settle storyline, which was excellent. I guess I'll HAVE to play this. Thanks for releasing another one

#5 Taquito

Taquito

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Interestingly enough I just finished A Score To Settle for the first time after so many failed attempts. I guess this one is next.

#6 Vae

Vae

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Very nice, Spring...I will play this tonight...:)

#7 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5214 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Congratulations on the release; I look forward to playing it soon!
Posted Image

#8 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36409 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Download from where?

The link in the OP is fixed.

#9 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13766 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Download link just goes to your website Spring.

Edit:
Spring ninja'd it.

#10 Loa4ever

Loa4ever

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Congratz, I will try this.

#11 Taquito

Taquito

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

WOW! :o

#12 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7810 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

This is great. Thus far, it's like Mandrasola writ large. :)
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#13 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11840 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

Played through the first setting. Very nicely done. Didn't find enough loot, so I'm happy that the loot objective is optional.

Started the Break-in setting, but it crashed after hitting the Attack key to get started.

I'm playing with the SVN darkmod, and I see where it's crashing. I'll play with 2.01 tomorrow and see what happens. I assume that since you got through beta w/o this problem, it must be something that changed in SVN.

#14 Taquito

Taquito

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

One of the most beautiful and detailed maps I've seen in this game so far. The design and art direction is in the level of excellence. The elements of the environments make the city feels alive, even if the mission is pretty straightforward. Plus with this level of detail I did not encounter any fps drops, which is fantastic. This has definitely set the bar pretty high in terms of architecture and level of detail in a map. I'm loving it everything about it!

#15 Tr00pertj

Tr00pertj

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

Will DL now and give it a go.

Edited by Tr00pertj, 19 April 2014 - 12:14 AM.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

#16 Tr00pertj

Tr00pertj

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:14 AM

Finished on the first difficulty setting and the AI were all over me.

Spoiler

Congratulations on an awesome mission Sprinheel. Now to try another difficulty:)

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

#17 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5152 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

Woohoo, a new Springheel misson. Can't wait to play it. :)

Congratulations on the release.
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#18 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

Well done ! Thank you , look forward to playing it soon.

#19 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36409 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

Spoiler

This has definitely set the bar pretty high in terms of architecture and level of detail in a map. I'm loving it everything about it!

Thank-you very much! :)

Totally enjoyable experience and very detailed. I loved the uneven cobblestone roads they really looked the part.

Thanks, and I'm glad you mentioned that. After I was done I kind of thought I overdid it, but it was so much work I didn't want to go back and change them. :)

I assume that since you got through beta w/o this problem, it must be something that changed in SVN.

I hope so... :wacko:

#20 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Congrats! Going to dig in to this bad boy this morning.

#21 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11840 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Started the Break-in setting, but it crashed after hitting the Attack key to get started.

I'm playing with the SVN darkmod, and I see where it's crashing. I'll play with 2.01 tomorrow and see what happens. I assume that since you got through beta w/o this problem, it must be something that changed in SVN.

2.01 doesn't exhibit the problem, so I'm off to figure out what's ailing SVN.

#22 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Wow. Just finished this on Shadow difficulty and it was really amazing. The city felt so alive. The audio, there was a light ambient music track I'd never heard before that I liked very much. Not sure if it was new or just unused but it was subtle and excellent.

The city is just bubbling with atmosphere, the noises and steam, electricity, shadows, terrain, and the way the guard routes are lined out, all of it is other worldly. REAlly gives the player a sense of place. The rooftops against the night sky really give you the sense that you are in a vast city. I nearly felt at the beginning that I was watching a disney film about a thief the backdrop was so impressive, and you did this in 3mo.?! This makes me feel like my mapping skills are worthless! (shame on you! -lol)

Spoiler

I'll have to give the other two modes a shot here when I get some time. Absolutely gorgeous FM!

Edited by Lux, 19 April 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#23 Mr Mike

Mr Mike

• PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

I haven't yet finished this, struggling to open the safe (hints welcome), but I wanted to say that this is absolutely fantastic Springheel. I don't give praise lightly but this is hands down my favourite TDM experience so far. I got into Thief through the Assassins demo and, as you may feel, that first Thief experience really is something and can never quite be matched, but this gave it a damn good try and really reminded me of that first experience for several reasons.

The setting, story, audio and especially lighting is wonderful. And it seems that the higher skill levels will really add replay value. The multiple routes of entry also gave an incredible sense of freedom whilst never seemingly overly convoluted. Got to go back and finish this off, and probably replay straight again, but I needed to show my respect straight away.

PS - the uneven roads you really nailed. This is a masterclass in how it should be done

#24 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36409 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

The city is just bubbling with atmosphere, the noises and steam, electricity, shadows, terrain, and the way the guard routes are lined out, all of it is other worldly. REAlly gives the player a sense of place.

Thanks! That's something I really try hard to achieve. :)

you did this in 3mo.?! This makes me feel like my mapping skills are worthless! (shame on you! -lol)

Ha. Remember, I used a LOT of prefabs for the city section, and I used Sotha's modular building technique for the pub, so that helped speed things up.

I don't give praise lightly but this is hands down my favourite TDM experience so far.

Wow, that's high praise. Thanks very much and glad you're enjoying it! :blush:

As for the safe hint:

minor:
Spoiler

med:
Spoiler

pretty major:
Spoiler

#25 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18643 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I had the same situation, its related to the mem-leak issue that taaaki is looking into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users