The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Very nice!

3rd shot: some green vegetation would do good. Some vines and weed coming from the cracks in the ceiling and floor

last shot: vary the colour of the crystals but only slightly. So from white to light green and/or from a yellowish green to a more grey green. You can also have the crystals on the floor have a slightly different colour than the ones on the ceiling.

Very impressive. I like the impeccable attention to detail very much.

Some of the ceiling textures, some kind of stone panels, seem stretched.

You might want to check the patch inspector if some of the ceiling vaulting patchwork would be reduced in tris a bit so that it still looks good.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@ Flanders, thanks for the great advice, I'll do both of those things.

@ Sotha, thanks :-). About the ceiling texture, I kind of put myself in a bind where that texture doesn't really seems to fit if you tile it, but I'm hoping it doesn't look *too* stretched in game...I guess we'll see what the beta testers say.

@Capella, looks good! Did I ever mention that I got inspired for how part of the church in my map looks like based on your screens? Anyways, you should try using light textures on your lights, hanging ones like that are ideal place for them.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I need to fix this article but the top has some basic Light Texture details:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Light_Textures_and_Falloff_Images

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Light_Textures_and_Falloff_Images

Obviously, the "Strombine" method is way overkill for the above scene.

Looks good by the way :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If you are using light entities they are already using 'proper' light textures.

All lights in Doom3 are square, a light texture 'paints' the light round, etc...

Or paints bar shadows through the light or whatever.

You can still try different ones, on the entity there is a inherited property 'light_texture'. That'll let you browse and change it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hey Capela,

Like Badcog said, you can flip through light textures like you would any other texture by putting the "light_texture" spawnarg on a light. You don't need to dmap after switching light textures so it's pretty easy to flip through a couple and see if they work. I'm pretty sure you'll see some that match up with the hanging lights you have as well as the light you have stuck into the wall - if you need me to, I'll see if I can track down their exact names, but it should be easy to spot them. Mess around with light placement and you can get some pretty neat effects.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

@Capela:

[quote] Your quotation here [/quote]

:D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Capela - I like that shot, I like the differently shaped buidlings and how they have different characters, aswell as good use of materials. A couple of points:

- Though the textures are all well aligned, some of them are off the scale (stretched), that makes it look somewhat confusing.

- You are using moonlight in the city shot, which is rare to see, but it seems to be done with spotlights with big radius. Consider checking out my own map, or Katsbits's tutorial on parallel lights - this will make your life considerably easier, and give you much better results.

- You seem to be missing an ambient light. This is not really a problem, but for things to look consistent and realistic, you would need to account for reflections, so you can get rid of most of the pitch black masses (basicly, well placed spotlights with weak light going in the opposite direction as the main light source in the space). I have also done that in my map, on several occasions, you might want to take a look at that if indeed you want to use no ambient, or a very weak one (I used a darker than usual one).

The bad thing about no world ambient is pitch black. Seriously, if the player has to fumble around in a black screen at all it's not fun.

You need to be able to at least see where you're going. This isn't real life where you can stick your hand out and follow the terrain with it. Visuals is the ONLY clue you have as to where you are.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Capela - I like that shot, I like the differently shaped buidlings and how they have different characters, aswell as good use of materials. A couple of points:

- Though the textures are all well aligned, some of them are off the scale (stretched), that makes it look somewhat confusing.

- You are using moonlight in the city shot, which is rare to see, but it seems to be done with spotlights with big radius. Consider checking out my own map, or Katsbits's tutorial on parallel lights - this will make your life considerably easier, and give you much better results.

- You seem to be missing an ambient light. This is not really a problem, but for things to look consistent and realistic, you would need to account for reflections, so you can get rid of most of the pitch black masses (basicly, well placed spotlights with weak light going in the opposite direction as the main light source in the space). I have also done that in my map, on several occasions, you might want to take a look at that if indeed you want to use no ambient, or a very weak one (I used a darker than usual one).

All textures are Natural!!!!. Im using same textures but with difrent scales, i use only one ambient light for the hole map...maybe thats the problem. When im working in a area i put some hard spot ligths to see in game any brush problems. Maybe im to anxious to put a screenshot that should be more polished before i put it. :unsure:

Oh, not at all, I didnt mean to sound dismissive. You are doing great and creating interesting scenes, I was mostly pointing out technical stuff. If you dont want moonlight outside, then the parallel light is not needed. The ambient however might not be working. Make sure the light entity is named ambient world or something (it is explained on the entity, when you create it), and not light 1 or whatever.

Oh, not at all, I didnt mean to sound dismissive. You are doing great and creating interesting scenes, I was mostly pointing out technical stuff. If you dont want moonlight outside, then the parallel light is not needed. The ambient however might not be working. Make sure the light entity is named ambient world or something (it is explained on the entity, when you create it), and not light 1 or whatever.

NP.. -_- but you where right, my ambientlight was no more....i did it change it and now everyting seems different, need to change many lights now.

Thanks for your advice and to @Baddcog. B)

All textures are Natural!!!!. Im using same textures but with difrent scales, i use only one ambient light for the hole map...maybe thats the problem. When im working in a area i put some hard spot ligths to see in game any brush problems. Maybe im to anxious to put a screenshot that should be more polished before i put it. :unsure:

There should be a single ambient_world light that encompasses the entire map to prevent pitch black shadows. Set it very low, basically at a point where it barely registers on the light gem while standing in pure shadow.

Looks good. You could illuminate the "art" a bit and may add some carpets on the ground. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter