The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Ah cool, I might have a go at doing that then. Will start of simple like removing text and changing colors.

Wonna drop me a PM sop I can create these for you, so you can include them in the final release.

Once these release it's truly out of my hands at that point as to what people want to do with them, or if they want to kitbash/modifiy them with other existing assets. As for making additional skins, it would be difficult (but still possible) without using Substance Painter. Though I don't recommend it as most the control comes into play with smart masks and real time preview adjustments. I don't give out source assets (highpolys and working files) as a matter of principal, simply to maintain and supply legal grounds as the valid owner (should the need ever arise for it). It's a standard I uphold across all mods I've worked on but to that end I only share the final release versions for that reason.

Once these files (among probably a hundred other bits of models) make their debut in a collaboration FM, I'll be seeing to a public release for community use.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Epifire - that safe looks fkn awesome (idk if I'd open it onto a prize bust tho) and the distress on the metal is mint.

However, the hinges and handle look pristine or plastic compared to the rest of the metalwork.

There is a visual disparity between the mechanical parts that would experience wear (hand-wear on wheel and oil/movement wear on hinge) and the static parts that would remain polished and in good order (that are the most distressed).

Only my eye - pinch of salt, mate.

But... wow... Really nice.

Gorgeous work. Can you bind say a painting to them as a cover?

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I like the wood outlines of the hall doorway pass in the second picture. It has a very distinct reminiscence of Thief: DS, would love to see that used more often in TDM. There's something very special about it.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Springheel's modules and an hour of detailing a room produced this

eAXLUgv.jpg

edit: updated with slimmer windows

Nice, but the chimney of the fireplace should rach to the ceiling, shouldn't it?

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Good job there NeonStyle, your canals look fantastic!

I get a bit of a Thief 2 done modern vibe from that screenshot as well. Looking forward to playing it :)

• Like 1

NeonsStyle: I like where it is going - it is a different style than we are used to, and that's great!

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Spooks, that is just exquisite lighting

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

@Neons, very nice mixing the new modules with brush based buildings. Only crit is the canal could do with being half the width it is atm.

I can see that, however this canal is based on a real one, so I've modelled it after that. There will be others and they will be

very narrow. If you're going to do Venice, then you have to have at least one wide canal. :) I think it's important to mix prefabs,

modules with brush based buildings, otherwise everyones maps will end up looking the same. These are combination

prefabs and brush built.

Thanks guys. :)

Edited by NeonsStyle

Neon - very Venetian - instantly recognisable, molto bello.

Particularly like the difference between the architecture one side to the other - old buildings facing the new across the "street" with the gates somewhere in between. That is real.

I think Biker's comment about the width of the canal was based upon the fact that it is so open and green...

If it was murky and dark (a more reflective) and perhaps had some flotsam and jetsom (scum, misty emitter and , eg, "floating" planks or something) in it - eg, so the player can get across without swimming, it wouldn't look as large and it wouldn't be so... grassy.

It's very difficult to match the colours of the water with the environment - it could be made a [rather obtuse] split secondary to appear less dominant.

The colour most definitely is one major reason why the canal appears so large... This and the emptiness.

As a general rule, people don't step out of their doors onto a boat, since that's how they fall into the drink - perhaps some small jetties and/or mooring posts in the water would not only provide visual breakup of the pea-soup but also provide player pathway..?

A daring thieve's highway across the water without using a long route over the rooftops around it would be awesome - especially since it's gonna be a splash landing and not fatal if a player messes up that running jump or whatever.

(I don't want to get my nice new boots wet, I just stole them off that guy I killed).

Nb the damage done to boats (and structure) if a drunken sailor hits the wall or sharp corner. At these places, there are often obstacles/buffers also.

Hard shadows - that is, straight lines - outside or inside - sometimes placing something to distrupt the perfectly straight shadow line from a hard light is good, so it blends in with the softer lights.
That's not to say that hard, direct shadows cannot be impressive, but these might be cast through railings rather than from corner.

It might also be worth considering adding a level where the water has risen during heavy rain over the years, using some grimey decals on the buildings, for added detail and realism where the water has lapped at the edges, rising and falling, as well as some scrapes where the drunken sailor has accidently scuffed the sides a little.

With stuff like that - it wouldn't appear to be "too wide".

I thought at first it was a lawn until I saw the boats and realised it was Verdigris Venice.

With some detail such as the jetties, mooring posts, some mist, decals, slightly different colour, etc... it would not appear as a lawn, but as a canal (c. anal).

--

Spooks - are you sure you're not secretly an interior designer? The choice of your ambient light, colours, pattern, and interior decor is always so in compliment with everything else in view - it is consistently very well done, always improving.
I'd very much like to be able to climb down that chimney. I bet I could get stuck in the space between it and the wall and window if I could move that dustbin...

--

It's interesting that, historically, the reason we have lights in the middle of the room's ceiling is because this is where ppl would hang their hand-lamps or have centre-piece furniture and the practise of installing lights in the centre of the room still [mostly] continues today from tradition - only in the past few decades have people re-evaluated the practise, as design trends change and moden tech allows.

Only brick walls would have open scones, ornamented or indoor rooms that would have wall-mounted candles might have some tiled protection and rooms that had no centre lamp would have have places for lamps for adequete lighting for the room's task or function.

In TDM, it is nice that there is a mixture of these things due to the fact there is some form of lighted object that is no going to set the furniture on fire if it drops an ember out the fireplace.

http://www.elledecor.com/home-remodeling-renovating/home-renovation/advice/a3495/secrets-to-a-well-lit-room-a-71246/
http://www.hgtv.com/remodel/mechanical-systems/lighting-tips-for-every-room

Recessed lighting is a great way to achieve functional appearance, as well as provide enough shadow for stealth movement.
Functional lighting is a great way to achieve a realistic appearance, as well as provide enough recess for stealth movement.

It's nice to have an AI walk into a room and turn on the light [of a work/interest] area, turning it off before they leave.

A good opportunity to smack them in the back of the head while they do so:)

Or get caught thinking that this shaded area was safe, but now... oh... hi... *flashbomb*

When lighting an area, it can be worth thinking of how the people would want it lit for their comfort, aesthetic and safety - and then think, "candles and electricity are expensive", to puzzle out the shadows available.

// oh yeah, neon, to stop flooding canals without locks, water is levelled using grated drains and arches that make sure it stays level. This means that there would be a great opportunity to use an underwater, perhaps locked grate, as a way into a well guarded area.

Edited by teh_saccade

Oh looking lovely Spooks. Very moody.

I've always thought TDM levels too dark, because I felt in the medieval times, houses would be as light as they could make them;

of course that would depend on the wealth level.

It's like Patina, we take it for granted, and it's adds so much, but in the times, most of the stuff we consider old would

be new. That beautiful medieval house you saw, in it's day would've been the new kid on the block. Sometimes I think

we forget that in levels. However patina does do so much for immersiveness. There's nothing like a grime soaked wall. :)

Imagine how grimy your new modern home will look in a thousand years (if it's still standing), such a contrast to it's

state today.

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

Well I have background in art so I like to think that helps.

For me atleast the image is very very dark, so cant see much.

The first is/will be a marketplace area in the harbour.

My only feedback would be the spacing (height and width), its a tad on the large side, otherwise looking good with nice texture placement.

My only feedback would be the spacing (height and width), its a tad on the large side, otherwise looking good with nice texture placement.

Yeah, this had occurred to me too with the market... I was going to leave it until I had some other elements in there (stalls/AI) to decide for sure. My idea was to make it quite packed and cluttered with stalls on all sides, but obviously closed up for the night.