The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Hub poll thread

ungoliant

Hub Poll  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to replace the "New Missions" menu with a playable Bridgeport Hub area?

The Nope Pope says nope.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!, because I hated the city hub in TDS. I wouldn't want to repeat this experience in TDM.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Regardless on willingness and manpower to implement this feature, this will not work. On a fast machine, with everything loaded from cache, a small map takes only a few seconds to load. However, a bigger hub, on a slow machine, after boot (not yet cached PK4s), this will take a minute.

Players will not like to wait a minute just to select a mission.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

this hub thing isn't that bad at all, it only doesn't fit in the way pusianka intented it here

it could be quiet nice if for example someone would build an own campaign (if ever) and wants to include this feature

but I think it shouldn't be made as for example in Thief 3, I think:

- the hub shold be rather small

- it should extend from mission to mission, so you don't always see the same

- you should have a profit from going there, for example you can find a map for the next mission or unlock gadgets for the pre-mission shop like gas-arrows or something

- it could be optional like you can go there and accomplish e.g. the above mentioned things or just skip to the next mission

I think in such a way it may work, but as I said only in an own campaign, so its more an idea that may never come true :unsure:

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thief 3 AI had some advantages over TDM's, I had it written down somewhere, but there are reasons this AI wouldnt go well with a GTA kind of city, like Thief3 was aiming at emulating (for the success of the concept). One shared fault is that AI will know who you are even if they never saw you before, if you are a "suspect" (did something wrong in public and now is branded as a criminal) everyone will react to you even in the other side of the town (that would be limited to a node in T3). There should be a difference between AI that witnessed you doing the crime, those who got the warn, and those who are still unaware of the whole thing. AI in TDM wont notice you are doing something "illegal" like pickpocketing in front of everyone, as in T3. TDM's neutral AI is quite rigid and will not respond to almost anything you do, or that they see you doing (as if you are a ghost), either they are your enemy by default or they will ignore you exist. They also need to be placed carefully and have their own patrols and interactions drawn in detail by the mapper, there is no "random spawning of AI going about their business and walking the city with possible valuables" to populate the map and walk around by themselves. There is more to say, but anyway... Any rich city space in TDM has to be carefully orchestrated by the mapper and would most likely be aimed at a single run, beating the aim of what you guys are thinking about.

All the things about AI (guards or neutrals) noticing the player committing a crime or remembering if he was a criminal or not (as opposed to AI in other locations) is all part of the Security Level system in the works for TDM. Hopefully in the future it will have a system very similar to just how you described.

There are ways you could do random spawning of AI in TDM, and I think a few FMs have done it. I think mappers just haven't tried it very much.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The thing about respawning AI though is that you have to delete the old bodies, or the frame rate will go way down. While unlimited guards would be bad in missions, respawning civilians/city watch would add to making a city hub feel alive. This way, you could do cool things like having thugs fighting/running from city watch without interraction from the player.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

respawning civilians/city watch would add to making a city hub feel alive

They didn't in TDS.

"Look, the woman I just KO'd has an identical sister who just came around the corner. *thump* Hey, look, they must have been triplets! *whack* Hey..."

• Like 2

respawning AI wouldn't add more athmosphere to a map, i think at least it would just enoy the player

i mean, you knock out a guard patrolling in front of a door you want to lockpick and one minute later a new guy appears so knocking out the guard doesnt give you any benefit

btw. the player dont have to knock out a civilian just to pickpocket her neither anyone else if they ignore them until he is seen by something illegal (so he just had to avoid that)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

To all asking "where would be my mission", I already exaplined all possiblities and as for Bridgeport - I haven't said for one stupid moment it's gonna be Bridgeport. Best for consistency would be not to call the city any name. It allows everyone to say - hey, it's city called [enter the name that you like].

Best for consistency would be not to call the city any name

Kind of defeats the argument that "it gives is a much bigger connection to the world of TDM" if the hub is just some nameless, generic city.