The Dark Mod Forums

New Footstep sounds

SeriousToni

Hergestellt in Deutschland - nice example haha :D

Regarding footstep sounds, the footstep sound associated with texture: textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dry_earth_muddy is a wet mud sound, not a dry sound as you'd expect.

I have no idea how to go about switching it for the dry one, so I am using a nodraw sound solid patch to "overwrite" it in map.

Are you sure this is actually used in game? We have a lot of sounds not used ingame and I believe that the common dirt sounds will be used instead of the mud sounds you posted, but I am not 100% sure.

You can type s_drawsounds 1 in the console to see what shader is being used.

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Sorry if I offended someone. It wasn't my intention. I meant that it was fun to throw around ragdolls in-game, not suicides.

I suppose it makes sense that 70-80% of a lot of effects, sounds, are just well edited pieces conveniently well placed in motion pictures and games.

As always a careful balance of realism and the most appropriate choice for the game itself is the preferable option. The Dark Mod as the subject at hand was never a Hollywood-like, big buget, AAA project - my point being plainly that if the sound is not overdone, but a little enhanced (for the purpose of the experience being better overall) it's alright.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 year later...

Could you please put the latest download in the thread #1 post?

I'd like to have them here as an easy reference for whenever/if something happens to my TDM copy. I also find that the new sounds are better than stock TDM ones because they have more reverb, and that's exactly what all sounds in Thief games had even without EAX/OpenAL.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

I will, but does someone have a reliable host with fast download rate? On the free hosting sites the links disappear after time or are rather slow. :(

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I will, but does someone have a reliable host with fast download rate? On the free hosting sites the links disappear after time or are rather slow. :(

Google Drive, OneBox.

badge?user=andarson

Thank you!

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

I don't know how other people feel but sounds are jucier and better if they have more reverb by default.

The thing is that even in the Thief games they had more reverb, and that's why they sounded so great. Even without EAX. That's what TDM is lacking and that's what it needs.

The jump sound on wood needs more variations. Curently running/walking on wood is more similar to the sounds in TDS. Not bad either. but the jump sounds needs adjustment.

With the exception of all this, I appreciate the current sounds in this package with disctinction

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

That is some very fine work. Especially the tile sounds. I've always had issue with the tile sounds. One of the other

things that has always bugged me, is if you're a master thief, you're going to wear soft shoes, that are very quiet,

not leather soled shoes lol. Wish that was fixed.

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

That is some very fine work. Especially the tile sounds. I've always had issue with the tile sounds. One of the other

things that has always bugged me, is if you're a master thief, you're going to wear soft shoes, that are very quiet,

not leather soled shoes lol. Wish that was fixed.

Wait a sec, how then do we explain extremely loud footsteps in the classic Thief games?

You do recognize that in TDS footsteps are much milder in comparison (even though still retaining an inherent reverb, even without EAX)?

badge?user=andarson

Loud footsteps are for the player so he's always aware on what surface he walks on, and it's a balancing act for the AI. Invisible, inaudible master thief – where's fun in that?

I can fully understand that! Please note this package is just my personal taste of how I would like it to sound. I tried to still remain a noticeable difference between AI and player footsteps and added some detail on especially the player sounds (like if you walk on wood there's more stomping and if you sneak on wood it is more the shrieking wooden boards you hear). You can test out the sounds in the Black Jack training room or compare them directly with the ones in the pk4 file, but as I said it is just an alternative to the currently used ones, so I guess it should somehow be... alternative. ;)

You do recognize that in TDS footsteps are much milder in comparison (even though still retaining an inherent reverb, even without EAX)?

I put my hopes on this being fixed by a future natural support of EAX (or its equivalents), so I think we should stay curious on the following game updates. :)

• Like 2

TDS has no crouch footsteps :)

Ah no I meant TDM: As far as I remember the only difference between sneaking and walking was the volume of the same sound. So I put different sneak, walk and run footsteps inside the package :)

• Like 1

I put my hopes on this being fixed by a future natural support of EAX (or its equivalents), so I think we should stay curious on the following game updates. :)

Well, my thought and 2 cents is that even when EAX comes out, as with TDS there might be situations where EAX has an effect on performance. Some people might want that turned off for example.

In Thief EAX was more of a layer on the cake because the sounds were awesome as they were. But hey, perhaps I'm just too rushed and rude here with this. Sounds and music are such an individual thing of taste.

badge?user=andarson

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize the sound pack itself, but the "realistic" approach. Btw. TDS has no crouch footsteps :)

If I remember right it does. At least it's obvious on metal and tile floors.

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

I remember trying to make a custom surface definition once, it was a snow material, and while I was looking at values in other surface types, I was shocked there were no values for crouching.

[Edit] Yup, just checked in St. Edgar's. Also, you don't make any footstep sounds while carrying a body.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

Loud footsteps are for the player so he's always aware on what surface he walks on, and it's a balancing act for the AI. Invisible, inaudible master thief – where's fun in that?

Soft shoe sounds don't mean silent.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

If I remember right it does. At least it's obvious on metal and tile floors.

Nope. There are no crouch footsteps in TDS. One of the producers of the game insisted that should be none. They did exist early I'm development, and the dev I talked to tried his best to find a reasonable volume for them, but the code to support them was completely removed.
  • Like 2

So, you got sounds for walking and running Garrett, now it’s time for sneaking Garrett. This is where I was stunned by a brutal truth: the game doesn’t actually play any footstep sounds when Garret’s crouching! How come I haven’t noticed that before! Yes that’s quite embarrassing, really, but it doesn’t mean that game can do without crouching sounds schema. On higher difficulty levels AI with better “sensory model” can hear Garrett if he’s sneaking too close to them, so the next schema will serve as a guideline for our little guards and some other adversaries.

That's from my tutorial for the snow material for TDS, but I don't remember whether crouching footsteps actually worked. Not that it's important anymore :)

Edited by Judith

That's from my tutorial for the snow material for TDS

That looks like it's the snowstorm I saw all those years ago on TTLG. I quite liked it and it stayed in my mind, serving as the template for my own snowstorm. Unfortunately those vids seem to be gone (?), it'd be interesting to look back & compare.

In absence of the original, this could substitute as inspiration for TDM's northern regions:

• Like 1

A friend of mine recorded some snow footsteps last new year's, might fit with the new ones you made here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzxxd-sRPky_ZXd1THFhTUtRYnc/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik