The Dark Mod Forums

14 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

There a very good voice apps on the web, wich may serve you. F.Exmpl. https://www.kukarella.com/text-to-voice-converter

Free Plan

Text to Voice
120+ voices from 55+ languages and accents, plus 2,000 characters per month
Audio to Text
115+ languages, and 5 minutes of audio per month

More for 4.99€/month

Or this one, using AI and totally free

https://spik.ai

I don't know about you but I tried tons of TTS programs. All of them seem to be complete shite. I have become physically repulsed by these robot voices. So annoying. YouTube is full of examples. Anything is better than Text to Speech voice.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite the challenge in the title, right ? Well, as long as it is not difficult to implement into the base game, I think we should finally resolve this particular collection of missing assets. In

@Zerg Rush I wish you had picked a more original name...

I know someone who plays all the TDM mods like a rabid religion and would love ?❤? to be a female VA. What does she need to do, simply?

22 minutes ago, Anderson said:

I don't know about you but I tried tons of TTS programs. All of them seem to be complete shite. I have become physically repulsed by these robot voices. So annoying. YouTube is full of examples. Anything is better than Text to Speech voice.

I know, this is why I have looked for these two that have quite natural voices, apart from adjustable. The latter even supports adding pauses and emphasis to parts of the text.
The technology in this field has advanced a lot and Loquendo voices like YouTube are only found in very old applications and sites.
Certainly a Voiceactor is always better, but I think that for some voices in between and short texts they can work perfectly, saving work.
In fact some services are already used for dialogs in other games.
Well, it was just an idea

3 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

I know, this is why I have looked for these two that have quite natural voices, apart from adjustable. The latter even supports adding pauses and emphasis to parts of the text.
The technology in this field has advanced a lot and Loquendo voices like YouTube are only found in very old applications and sites.
Certainly a Voiceactor is always better, but I think that for some voices in between and short texts they can work perfectly, saving work.
In fact some services are already used for dialogs in other games.
Well, it was just an idea

TTS still can't do intonation properly. 😕 They make mistakes too often with disjointed and cut off words, awkward pauses and so on. It's a mess. To me TTS didn't evolve much from 1998 Half-Life grunts:

MY. ASS. IS. HEAVY.

Or like the VOX robot announcement. Most of the time I can't even understand what is being said. Sounds like utter gibberish. Again, most TTS suffer from that with more complicated sentences.

I suppose TTS works with short phrases in certain situation, but overall, might be appropriate more in sci-fi settings and such. I feel bad for being so harsh but TTS makes my life shorter somehow.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

13 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

You do not have to apologize, surely you are much better into the subject than me. It was just a thought of mine when I saw this thread.🍻

On second thought your idea might be valid for some custom robots and steam beasts voiceovers in TDM FM's. I'm just sorry for bringing out the silly parts where TTS is thought to sound well with humans.

Of course, for long dialogues they sure are not useful, I was also thinking about the voices of the secondary bots, whose vocabulary in many missions is quite limited and repetitive (I am hungry, I need a good strong ale, good performance this night, etc.since first TDM). These can be expanded and varied a lot with TTS.

But this can surely be used in missions to mix and create ambient sounds loops.

https://www.ambient-mixer.com

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1