The Dark Mod Forums

Roadmap for TDM in 2020

mcmike1489

i dont know where you get a global view of the coming changes, but to get a little view of this, take a look at:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/roadmap_page.php

and older changes to the game:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Category:What's_New

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

On 11/21/2019 at 1:58 PM, zergrush said:

Is the team going through any problems that we might assist with?

If people want to assist by donating programming time and skills, I'm sure the team will always welcome that.

• Like 3

It'd be easier to add the Unreal Engine 4 features you want to the Darkmod engine than to do a full port. The main improvement in graphics would be asset upgrades anyway. There's only so much render engine improvements can even offer for a game largely happening in dark confined spaces. 

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You're right, it would be much easier to put the Unreal Engine 4 features into the Darkmod engine, but someone has to have the time to do it to make it happen, I wonder who could do it and make it into a success? Only time will tell. The Dark Mod 2 would be a great sequel in the making to continue the legacy of the Thief franchise for those taffers that love this game so much as much as I do, let's just be hopeful and see what happens for the future of The Dark Mod for many years to come.

1 hour ago, mcmike1489 said:

I wonder who could do it and make it into a success?

There isn't sufficient number of competent enough modelers who could make TDM benefit from the bells and whistles of engine like Unreal 4 right now. Besides, higher fidelity requires tons of time, knowledge, and tools for making assets.

Personally, I'd be making stuff for TDM, even if development had stopped at 2.05. Having a locked tech isn't a bad thing per se; it's up to you and your skills to use it to your advantage.

• Like 3

Do we even need a sequel? Not saying it’s a bad idea, just the time. IF 2.07 ( which just came out this year right) was the LAST version, would we all suddenly stop playing and creating for it? I’d still use it for years to come, so why abandon more than a decade’s worth of collaborative hard work? The code isn’t perfect, but hot damn for a spiritual successor to Thief, it’s pretty taffin’ perfect. Why don’t we just ride this wave til it crashes to shore?

• Like 2

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

45 minutes ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Do we even need a sequel?

I would say no. TDM is great as it is and from the Unreal 4 games that I have seen, I doubt active shadows and lights would be much better anyway! Also as has been said, who should do the work building something from scratch, when even the planned TDM campaign hasn't been finished for years? Or the city hub that many players dream about...

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 3

I'm glad I'm sharing this with you guys, we don't know what the future holds for TDM, but hopefully we get something good sometime in 2020. And yes, maybe we're not ready for sequel just yet, but this game still has a lot to offer.  I'm no game designer nor programmer, just a gamer myself. And it would be great to get a city hub in TDM just like in Thief Deadly Shadows. The game engine for TDM is good for right now, not too bad.

An open source project never dies, so long as some human somewhere feels like grabbing some pizza and starting to code on it (maybe you!) That's one of the things that makes open source so great, also, being free from the money and politics of proprietary projects.

But yeah, open source projects never die, they just go into hibernation for a wile.

• Like 1

You have that backwards though. You first think of something that might make this game even better, and then do what most of us did (that didn't take any classes in coding) and grab a tutorial or surf a forum like StackOverflow and follow instructions to do the one thing you want to do, and now you know that one little thing. Rinse and repeat.

You start with just changing up your own local build and no expectations that it will go in the main mod, so it's just you playing and experimenting completely freely and wildly. Mistakes and accidents are expected and sometimes fun puzzles to crack. Just start with changing random code, recompiling and see what happens! We actually encourage that kind of irreverent experimentation. That's how a lot of us learned. 

• Like 4

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

On 11/27/2019 at 7:07 PM, mcmike1489 said:

Well I have not gone to school to work on computer programming so I wouldn't know how to make this game even better.

As far as I know, neither did John Carmack! He's the self-taught brilliant guy who gave us the game engine that this game uses (and many more).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carmack

EDIT: Daaaamn!

"

As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of children steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. Carmack was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions "no empathy for other human beings" and describes Carmack as "a brain on legs"). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.[6][7]

He attended the University of Missouri–Kansas City for two semesters before withdrawing to work as a freelance programmer.[8]"

Seems he did go to a bit of school. Still, this guy is probably the best thing that ever happened to PC games.

Edited by kano