The Dark Mod Forums

[Feature Proposal] New Lean for TDM 2.12

Daft Mugi

Here's the draft code patch so that folks who compile TDM themselves can give this proposal a try in game. And, if you do, I look forward to your feedback!

https://gist.github.com/daftmugi/43a23ca3471ae1d49eb0b9aa92ea8457

1. Install TDM v2.12 (dev16818-10434)
  2. Get the SVN repo
  3. Download "r10452-add-lean2.diff "
  4. Apply SVN patch: "svn patch r10452-add-lean2.diff"
  5. Compile
  6. Copy TheDarkMod.exe and glprogs to TDM (dev16818-10434) directory

Or, @Wellingtoncrab has provided a Windows build. (includes new frob and new lean)

1. Install TDM v2.12 (dev16818-10434).
  2. Download @Wellingtoncrab Windows build: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1062478154310103120/1154930878162669750/TheDarkModx64.exe
  3. Copy the TheDarkModx64.exe binary to your dev16818-10434 directory.

Or, @Daft Mugi has provided a Ubuntu/Linux build. (includes new frob and new lean)

1. Install TDM v2.12 (dev16818-10434).
  2. Download @Daft Mugi Ubuntu/Linux build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kUZtQrkAQpPHVRUX_JrhxSeWkzZX8P4D/view?usp=sharing
  3. Copy the thedarkmod.x64 binary to your dev16818-10434 directory.
  • Like 2

Your video really sold it to me. Good work.

I knew the TDM lean was kind of an awkwardly huge angular turn, but it's one of those things you don't think about after a while.

How about lean forward? And does anybody remember that lean trick in T1/T2 where you basically wrapped yourself around a corner in 2 directions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jaxa said:

Your video really sold it to me. Good work.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, jaxa said:

How about lean forward?

Yeah, I thought about showing the forward lean as well. But the difference between TDM 2.11 forward lean and the new forward lean is so small that I thought it wasn't worth showing.

8 minutes ago, jaxa said:

And does anybody remember that lean trick in T1/T2 where you basically wrapped yourself around a corner in 2 directions?

Yep!

• Like 1

No objections here.

I can only suggest that perhaps TDM's lean is designed to look different than Thief's to avoid some sort of legal issue with such a closely matched design?

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:

No objections here.

I can only suggest that perhaps TDM's lean is designed to look different than Thief's to avoid some sort of legal issue with such a closely matched design?

I don't think they have copyright over a "cubic bézier easing function".

From the video presentation, I think I prefer the current (2.11) lean. I also currently see no need for it, but maybe a testplay can convince some of us folks. Is there another way to test this than building tdm? For example creating seperate unstable branches that can be set in the installer. This should be possible.

Edited by datiswous

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

Manjaro linux

Here's an Ubuntu build. I don't know about Manjaro and Ubuntu binary compatibility. So, please give it a try and let me know. Just remember to get the latest dev installation first and then use this binary instead. Bonus: It also includes the frob proposal changes, if you are interested in trying those out as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kUZtQrkAQpPHVRUX_JrhxSeWkzZX8P4D/view?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

I think I prefer the current (2.11) lean.

What do you prefer about the 2.11 lean?

If you would like a similar lean to 2.11 with this new lean proposal code, you can set the following cvars:

pm_lean2_slide "100"
pm_lean2_angle "18"
pm_lean2_angle_mod "0.8"

Check out this comparison video between 2.11 and 2.12-FP with those cvar settings. Does that look better to you?

• Like 2

I quite like the new 2.12 lean, especially the crouch lean. In Daft Mugi's video at 1:23, you can clearly a big difference in shooting a water arrow while crouched. Overall, I think this is a really nice feature! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

@AluminumHaste Would you mind making a Windows build, so folks can try out this new lean?

I was about to but in the process of cleaning out the previous patches, I accidentally did a svn cleanup command with delete all unversioned files, without realizing I had done so on the Darkmod game directory, not the source code directory.

Now Tortoise SVN claims that all these files would go to the recycle bin, but it's empty. Can't recover these files either, tried with several recovery tools.

So all that work in progress stuff was lost, maps, textures, shaders, etc. All gone, last back up was....2014. All my fault, but this is too crushing, I'm done with this project for now sorry.

• Sad 5

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

15 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

So all that work in progress stuff was lost, maps, textures, shaders, etc. All gone, last back up was....2014. All my fault, but this is too crushing, I'm done with this project for now sorry.

That is awful. I know the sympathy won’t bring your work back, but I am very sorry to hear this happened to you.

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

39 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's truly crushing to lose all of those files. I feel bad about this, since you were helping out with these proposals. I hope the files find a way back to you.

Here is a patched windows executable I compiled with both @Daft Mugi's lean and frob patches. I played through all of A Bridge Too Far with and it appears stable to me. [irony] The crypto mining worm I included is pretty light weight so you will only notice a modest FPS drop. [/irony]

For what it's worth I think the new lean is an improvement. This combined with the frob changes made the game feel in general like there is less friction when I was trying to quickly snuff a candle, fire off an arrow, move a body quickly out of the way etc.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What's this about a crypto worm?

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

14 hours ago, thebigh said:

What's this about a crypto worm?

[irony]

Its a worm that makes crypto.

Kind of like a silk worm, but instead of fabric it weaves jpegs of boring monkeys using you local ms paint install or something.

I am not current on the technical details tbh but it’s nothing to be concerned about it. 

[/irony]

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
  • Haha 3

On 9/20/2023 at 12:25 AM, jaxa said:

And does anybody remember that lean trick in T1/T2 where you basically wrapped yourself around a corner in 2 directions?

I would love to know how they did it, because if I ever do my own little thief clone, that's a feature I must include at all costs. It was just plain awesome.

My FMs: By The Cookbook