The Dark Mod Forums

Main menu Mission name sorting

snatcher

It's useful to not sort them by "A" or "The" because there's always going to be people who can't quite remember if the mission is called "The Threepenny Revue" or just "Threepenny Revue". I definitely prefer the third version.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Oh no, we are gonna get stuck in a time loop!

Yes, I believe that true alphabetical sorting was the original design.

Some players complained that there were too many missions starting with "The" or "A" so finding the desired mission was tedious.

The titles were changed to "Mission, The" or "Mission, A" and that worked but was clunky.

Finally the design compromise was to sort them without the A or The prefix but display them naturally.

I agree that true alpha sorting looks more tidy and am not sure why anyone entertained the "complaint" in the first place.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

9 hours ago, thebigh said:

It's useful to not sort them by "A" or "The" because there's always going to be people who can't quite remember if the mission is called "The Threepenny Revue" or just "Threepenny Revue". I definitely prefer the third version.

In that case it would be very easy to check all "A" and "The" missions for the one you are looking for.

It always baffled me why the current sorting seemed like a good idea and has remained like this for so long. I agree on putting "The" and "A" to the end of the names, that's how Angel Loader does it.

If I could only ask for something it would be an option to sort by Newest/Oldest missions. I prefer to start from the oldies.

Oh hey, TaffingTaffer. You got your account working. Nice!

As an alternative you could sort by release date on the official website.

Not as elegant, but it should get the job done.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

34 minutes ago, thebigh said:

Oh hey, TaffingTaffer. You got your account working. Nice!

As an alternative you could sort by release date on the official website.

Not as elegant, but it should get the job done.

Yeah, I already do that. It isn't clear if some series actually released out of order plot-wise or the re-releases pushed the dates forward, though. ie. Thief's Den 1 especifically states that it was re-released, but the oldest Thomas Porter is TP 2.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Taffingtaffer said:

Yeah, I already do that. It isn't clear if some series actually released out of order plot-wise or the re-releases pushed the dates forward, though. ie. Thief's Den 1 especifically states that it was re-released, but the oldest Thomas Porter is TP 2.

Try the wiki:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

Multiple sorting options.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

19 hours ago, snatcher said:

Does a true A-Z sorting look that bad?

This indeed looks like the best sorting and it's the kind of sorting that I use everywhere. The and A is part of the title, ignoring them, or putting them at the end makes no sense.

Btw. on the mission downloader page the sorting is based on last mission released, which you can change, but the change is not saved. It's not consistant with the ordering in the mission list.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, nbohr1more said:

Oh no, we are gonna get stuck in a time loop!

Yes, I believe that true alphabetical sorting was the original design.

Some players complained that there were too many missions starting with "The" or "A" so finding the desired mission was tedious.

The titles were changed to "Mission, The" or "Mission, A" and that worked but was clunky.

Finally the design compromise was to sort them without the A or The prefix but display them naturally.

I agree that true alpha sorting looks more tidy and am not sure why anyone entertained the "complaint" in the first place.

I swear it's my fault, I remember bringing it up years ago.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Also, there are good reasons that things aren't sorted by "A", "An" and "The".

This is also done for the the words "A" and "An".

The reason we ignore these words isn't because the section would be so big, but because so many titles start with those words you're almost always going to be looking for the second word anyway.

You're basically just creating a second alphabetical list within an alphabetical list

Things like that. Right now it's not a huge deal because we don't have that many missions. So maybe it's a non issue as we'll never have that many

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

3 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Things like that. Right now it's not a huge deal because we don't have that many missions. So maybe it's a non issue as we'll never have that many

Yeah we can always change it when it becomes a real issue, instead of this forward planning. Or have it included as an option like in the mission downloader (assuming it works similar).

Edited by datiswous

I actually prefer missions sorted by "A" and "The", tbh.

Would it be possible to add a custom search filter, where the user can type something in a text box, and the list is filtered by that? That would help finding missions quicker, either way.

Also, I wish I could sort the already-downloaded missions list as well.

Edited by Skaruts
  • Like 1

My FMs: By The Cookbook

2 hours ago, Skaruts said:

I actually prefer missions sorted by "A" and "The", tbh.

Would it be possible to add a custom search filter, where the user can type something in a text box, and the list is filtered by that? That would help finding missions quicker, either way.

Also, I wish I could sort the already-downloaded missions list as well.

I was just thinking about the search box yesterday. It would be handy if the search results, particularly with similar titles , could be highlighted

hex-237553415B315D3741

8 hours ago, Skaruts said:

I don't think gui's have that option. Although, maybe I'm wrong, because there is an input field possible via Editdef.

Is anyone in here in favor of the current sorting (very first screenshot in this topic) over other options? Please speak up.

1. By going current, missions are kind of sorted and mission names are respected.
  2. By going true alphabetical, missions are sorted and mission names are respected.
  3. By going article last, missions are kind of sorted and mission names are not respected.

Please comment if you disagree or have something to add to my three points above.

If I were to decide I would personally find defending the second option the easiest: how would you like Windows to sort your files and folders?

TDM Modpack 4.0

14 hours ago, snatcher said:

Is anyone in here in favor of the current sorting (very first screenshot in this topic) over other options? Please speak up.

1. By going current, missions are kind of sorted and mission names are respected.
  2. By going true alphabetical, missions are sorted and mission names are respected.
  3. By going article last, missions are kind of sorted and mission names are not respected.

Please comment if you disagree or have something to add to my three points above.

Why not create a poll?

• Like 1

I think that a good way is to sort it by download order, the most recent missions are not always downloaded first, that the new added missions are on the top of the list. I sometimes, after downloading/updating a Mission, it is somewhat annoying to scroll through the Missions list to find it. Adding these as the first in the list is maybe a better solution than by release date. This also avoids having to use unnecessary sorting algorithms.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉