The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.12

stgatilov

Volta 2 crashes to desktop on mission completion before the "mission complete" screen appears.

Edit:

Spoiler

It only happens when I put Belero on the elevator instead of shouldering him.

Edited by Baal

On 2/12/2024 at 6:45 PM, nbohr1more said:

You made new saves under the latest build right?

Yes, however, did more tests now. The problem already starts with the first beta build. When downgrading to 2.11, everything works fine.

2 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Yes, however, did more tests now. The problem already starts with the first beta build. When downgrading to 2.11, everything works fine.

Thank you!

Does is also happen in the first 2.12 Dev build

dev16778-10275

?

If not, can you bisect to the first dev build where it happens?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

15 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Thank you!

Does is also happen in the first 2.12 Dev build

dev16778-10275

?

If not, can you bisect to the first dev build where it happens?

The problem does not show up with all related dev builds. However, I cannot test with the last build (16854-10518), which I simply cannot start and get the report

image.png.d68833e6ea295ea514ad41ac9c0e7097.png

EDIT: As per our friend dragofer's suggestion, I made a blank script file in this build and removed the turrets from the WIP for a test. Then I can start the game and the mission and can save/load without problems.

Summary:

• 16842-10488: no problems
  • 16854-10518: cannot test (see above)
  • 16854-10518 (modified scriptfile, no turrets) : no problems
  • beta 1: problem appears
Edited by JackFarmer

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

The problem does not show up with all related dev builds. However, I cannot test with the last build (16854-10518), which I simply cannot start and get the report

Summary:

You can work around this error by putting a completely empty file called tdm_turret_scriptbased.script in your script folder, and temporarily removing all turrets from the map. Would still be interesting to see whether 10518 is the first build where the problem appears, or beta1.

1 hour ago, Dragofer said:

You can work around this error by putting a completely empty file called tdm_turret_scriptbased.script in your script folder, and temporarily removing all turrets from the map. Would still be interesting to see whether 10518 is the first build where the problem appears, or beta1.

Just added a test as per your suggestion in my post above.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 7:18 PM, Baal said:

Volta 2 crashes to desktop on mission completion before the "mission complete" screen appears.

Hide contents

It only happens when I put Belero on the elevator instead of shouldering him.

Maybe you can provide a savefile?

13 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

EDIT: As per our friend dragofer's suggestion, I made a blank script file in this build and removed the turrets from the WIP for a test. Then I can start the game and the mission and can save/load without problems.

Summary:

• 16854-10518 (modified scriptfile, no turrets) : no problems

@nbohr1more@Dragofer

Update to the post quoted above: only missions with turrets are concerned, all others work fine.

On 2/15/2024 at 12:18 PM, Baal said:

I was able to reproduce this in 2.12 beta as well as 2.11.

1. Start mission
  2. setviewpos -5727 974 292 24 -57 0
  3. Wait for new objective
  4. setviewpos 3795 5676 -3164 18 160 0
  5. Wait for objective complete
  6. Shoulder body
  7. setviewpos -1643 3574 -1903 4 180 0
  8. Drop body on elevator platform
  9. Press elevator button

Setting "logFile 2", I was able to capture some console messages before the crash. "MISSION COMPLETED" displays twice instead of once. I haven't had a chance to look further into this.

WARNING:idClipModel::Handle: clip model 0 on 'bellero' (dc8) is not a collision or trace model
WARNING:idClipModel::Handle: clip model 0 on 'bellero' (dc8) is not a collision or trace model
MISSION COMPLETED
MISSION COMPLETED
----- idRenderModelManagerLocal::EndLevelLoad -----
    0 models purged from previous level,  1031 models kept.
---------------------------------------------------
Regenerated world, staticAllocCount = 0.
Getting threadname failed, reason: No such file or directory (2)
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
ModelGenerator memory: 133 LOD entries with 0 users using 2128 bytes.
WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)
--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
...shutting down QGL
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
Shutdown event system
--------------------------------------

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

@nbohr1more

Any updates here? Sorry for being a pain, but this is a critical problem preventing me from finishing my campaign beta preps.

This is being investigated.

2.12 has the needed save state features so the cause is still unclear.

If the problem cannot be solved in a reasonable time-frame, we may need to revert to 2.11 turret features and suggest completing any needed additions via local changes to your mission (... pretty unlikely, as we are highly motivated to retain the 2.12 turret improvements).

However this gets resolved, it is the last blocker issue for 2.12 to leave beta phase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Update:

@JackFarmer

The root cause of the turret crash has been found.

It seems that it was given the same physics code as the security camera but does not have handling for cases where no clip model exists.

Removing the physics code fixes the issue.

That said, I guess we may look into adding it back so that the turret follows the same destruction features as the camera?

• Thanks 2

On 2/22/2024 at 5:01 PM, nbohr1more said:

If the problem cannot be solved in a reasonable time-frame, we may need to revert to 2.11 turret features and suggest completing any needed additions via local changes to your mission (... pretty unlikely, as we are highly motivated to retain the 2.12 turret improvements).

In fact, there are no 2.11 turret features since it's a completely new thing for 2.12. Unofficial script versions of the turret also rely on code changes that were made during turret development for 2.12.

I fixed another case of clipping into the ceiling during a mantle that starts in the standing position and ends in the crouching position (a.k.a forced-crouch mantle). The fix is included in beta212-07.

The fix changed a lot of code, so please let us know if you find any issues.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 12:57 PM, stgatilov said:

beta212-07 is available.

This one is considered release candidate, meaning that most likely it will be turned into official release soon.
For this reason, here are the deprecated 32-bit binaries.
It would be great if someone briefly checks the 32-bit Linux executable (cannot do it myself).

I don't have a 32-bit OS but I am able to launch the 32-bit executable on Linux Mint 21.3.

I think the story is similar to what I saw in 2.10.

Lots of large maps produce AAS errors on launch but seem mostly functional.

King of Diamonds seems to have lots of AI that are circling or having path finding issues.

On a positive note, I was able to launch "The Painter's Wife", "Penny Dreadful 3", "Behind Closed Doors", " Shadows of Northdale 1", "Not an Ordinary Guest" basically all the largest maps and no loading errors were seen and all allowed in-game play.

Oddly enough both Iris and The Painter's Wife have no AAS errors and no AI path-finding bugs even though they are the largest.

• Thanks 1

I experience significant lower FPS in both TDM 2.12/64 #10644 (beta212-06) and TDM 2.12/64 #10651 (beta212-07) that I don't see when I run 2.11, and that I didn't notice in earlier 2.12 betas.

In Training Mission, when starting the mission and looking straight forward, the FPS is now 23 (was 32 FPS in 2.11), and when going down the short stairs and looking up to the skylight, the FPS is now 9 (was 18 PFS in 2.11).

The settings between the versions seem to be the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fiver said:

I experience significant lower FPS in both TDM 2.12/64 #10644 (beta212-06) and TDM 2.12/64 #10651 (beta212-07) that I don't see when I run 2.11, and that I didn't notice in earlier 2.12 betas.

In Training Mission, when starting the mission and looking straight forward, the FPS is now 23 (was 32 FPS in 2.11), and when going down the short stairs and looking up to the skylight, the FPS is now 9 (was 18 PFS in 2.11).

The settings between the versions seem to be the same.

Can you double-check and see if the performance loss also impacts beta 5.

I believe that a volumetric light was added to the skylight.

You can also try setting r_volumetricEnable 0 and see if performance returns to normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1