The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.12

stgatilov

7 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Can you double-check and see if the performance loss also impacts beta 5.

When setting r_volumetricEnable to 0, I see some light disappear and FPS increases by maybe 2-3 FPS, but does not come close to the previous values.

I run on a computer with 8 CPUs and none of them goes over 50%. I tried enabling the menu setting "Frontend Acceleration" and restarting, but that seemed to make no difference.

For r_volumetricEnable set to 1, I tested the following:
* beta 1: 33 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 2: 32 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 3: 33 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 4: 33 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 5: 17 FPS and 9 FPS

6 minutes ago, Fiver said:

When setting r_volumetricEnable to 0, I see some light disappear and FPS increases by maybe 2-3 FPS, but does not come close to the previous values.

I run on a computer with 8 CPUs and none of them goes over 50%. I tried enabling the menu setting "Frontend Acceleration" and restarting, but that seemed to make no difference.

For r_volumetricEnable set to 1, I tested the following:
* beta 1: 33 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 2: 32 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 3: 33 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 4: 33 FPS and 24 FPS
* beta 5: 17 FPS and 9 FPS

Thanks! Looks like a map change rather than an engine issue. To verify further can you test beta 5 or newer with uncapped FPS set to max 300 in the advanced menu?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

Ā 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

Ā 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

12 minutes ago, Fiver said:

Tested on beta 5, still 17 FPS and 9 FPS.

Thanks! I'll look at the portal design in that area.

For a baseline, can you post details about your GPU, Driver, and Host OS

Ā 

Ā 

So I thought whether to mention this here, in the end I guess it makes sense as it's now technically a bug report. The discussion started out as a feature request, or rather a set of them... then it was mentioned that one of the functionalities I described should in fact exist, but an error is causing it to be overridden. We aren't sure when it was introduced but since I've always observed the broken behavior it might be years. You can read the full conversation here:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6436

What I observed and initially requested: When the player shoots at an AI, the AI shouldn't go searching in a completely random direction, and instead go somewhere toward the player as they should have a general sense of where the arrow came from. Currently guards completely ignore the direction of an attack and will cluelessly run to a completely random spot when hit which is very unrealistic: If an arrow hits you in the back, you aren't going to sprint forward looking for the perpetrator there.

How this turned into a bug report: Someone investigated the issue and discovered that when attacked, AI should in fact be picking a search area between their own position and that of the players. I understand the pain event mistakenly overrides that decision, causing the guard to pick random locations within their own radius when attacked. Now that this is known, maybe this can be fixed in time for 2.12 so we aren't stuck with the broken behavior for the whole release?

10 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Maybe this can be fixed in time for 2.12 so we aren't stuck with the broken behavior for the whole release?

Ā In the beta phase, we usually only address regressions since the respective previous version or bugs with newly introduced features, in order not to unnecessarily lengthen the beta-phase. And we are already in release candidate territory, as stgatilov already said.

On 2/24/2024 at 6:57 PM, stgatilov said:

beta212-07 is available.

This one is considered release candidate, meaning that most likely it will be turned into official release soon.
For this reason, here are the deprecated 32-bit binaries.
It would be great if someone briefly checks the 32-bit Linux executable (cannot do it myself).

Ā 

Excellent. This will take up my whole upcoming week, I'll take all my time off to good use testing the latest release candidate and suggest if there's really any problems. The devs are right that the beta sounds like its no longer regressed between introduced features. This is going to make my week!Ā 

Edited by TheUnbeholden
Spelling.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Issue confirmed. It looks like the shadow count in that scene has grown from 2K to over 15K. It is being investigated.

I also see 9 FPS in room "Keys & Lockpicks". It appears to be caused by the light from the windows.

Is it maybe interfering with the "tilde brings up console" functionality?

My missions: Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Stand-alone Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  Duncan Lynch seriesĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Down and Out on Newford Road Ā  Ā Ā  Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  the Factory Heist

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  A House Call

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā The House of deLisle Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

22 hours ago, Fiver said:

I also see 9 FPS in room "Keys & Lockpicks". It appears to be caused by the light from the windows.

This is surely because of volumetric shadows.
I get 200 FPS without them and 100-120 FPS with them (that's not fullscreen).
Point lights in this room also have volumetrics enabled, not just the projected lights --- I believe they should not.
But even if it gets fixed, performance will still be lower when volumetric shadows are involved.

Since @FiverĀ has extremely low-end machine, it would probably make sense to tweak r_volumetric* cvars.
Maybe "r_volumetricLowres 2", maybe "r_shadowMapSize 512". Maybe simply disable them.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

it would probably make sense to tweak [...] cvars

I tried changing the following cvars in the main room:
* r_volumetricLowres 2 gives me 1 more FPS (from 17 to 18)
* r_volumetricEnable 0 gives me 3 more FPS (from 17 to 20)
* r_volumetricForceShadowMaps 0 gives me 2 more FPS (from 17 to 19)
* r_volumetricDustMultiplier 0 makes no difference
* r_volumetricBlur 0 gives me 0.5 more FPS (from 17 to 17.5)
* r_volumetricDither 0 makes no difference
* r_volumetricSamples 0 gives me 2 more FPS (from 17 to 19)
* r_shadowMapSize 512 makes no difference

Edited by Fiver
spelling

2 hours ago, Fiver said:

I tried changing the following cvars in the main room:
* r_volumetricLowres 2 gives me 1 more FPS (from 17 to 18)
* r_volumetricEnable 0 gives me 3 more FPS (from 17 to 20)
* r_volumetricForceShadowMaps 0 gives me 2 more FPS (from 17 to 19)
* r_volumetricDustMultiplier 0 makes no difference
* r_volumetricBlur 0 gives me 0.5 more FPS (from 17 to 17.5)
* r_volumetricDither 0 makes no difference
* r_volumetricSamples 0 gives me 2 more FPS (from 17 to 19)
* r_shadowMapSize 512 makes no difference

Please try this version with Detail set to Normal or Low on the advanced menu:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXyCQ_etzyiHTn7_8QtRTSAlEvBS3ycg/view?usp=sharing

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Anything we add to "public repositories" has to go through a "release process". Too much work.

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=TDM_Release_Mechanics

Either you ( or @BaalĀ or @jaxaĀ ) test this package quickly or it probably doesn't have a chance to make it to 2.12.

At this point it's probably not going to be in 2.12 anyway since we are already at release candidate phase

so it might just be offered at Moddb as an optional download until 2.13. I am hoping to squeeze it in.

Ā 

• Like 2

Ā 

Ā 

8 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Anything we add to "public repositories" has to go through a "release process".

I understand. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I'll wait until it is available in the repository (maybe a later hotfix, or dev build, or possibly the next beta if one is made), then I'll make it my top priority to test it.

21 hours ago, jaxa said:

What am I supposed to be testing? What's going on?

Looks like it's too late so we will be reverting to the 2.11 training mission.

If you want an early peek at what might end-up in 2.13 you can test this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F-LlcNx2OVtYggQXQQ7umA0K_AQrpllY/view?usp=sharing

• Like 3

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Looks like it's too late so we will be reverting to the 2.11 training mission.

If you want an early peek at what might end-up in 2.13 you can test this one:

Why can the official missions not be updated via the mission downloader? These are just fm's. This would give us players earlier fixes, instead of having to wait another year. This makes no sense to me.

Edited by datiswous