The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

No, put the mission folder in the doom folder as before. The fms folder can be for just released fms. Remove it from there or there may be conflict. I think there is a way to run it there but I can't recall the args. Seems simpler to me to keep development projects separate in the doom folder like we've always done.

This is embarassing, it is not really working, putting the folder in the doom3 folder stops the crashing but the console just says that it cant find remembrance.map in the Maps folder (as if the game was in default mode, no project set). I had to package and install the WIP in order to playtest it - is there a wiki entry about this (setting up projects in the 1.08 version) I'm not aware of? Thanks for the tips btw, fidcal.

Putting your files in the fms folder and change the entry in the currentfm.txt should work. Since the files are no longer copied into the doom folder Fidcals suggestion may not work because of that. Anyways, mine should as I could load my map via console after it was installed (what only extracts the files and changes the entry in the currentfm.txt).

EDIT: If this should work be sure to never press the clean button, or all your files will be deleted.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I guess so.

Unfortunately, putting the uncompressed folder in fms folder, and then changing the set mission txt also crashes TDM. Im only able to load it by packaging as a pk4, putting it into the fms folder and installing it through the menu. And yes, all the files should be there. Im going to double check if I deleted a file or something, but then the pk4 file wouldnt work either.

Sorry, this is my fault. Looks like I omitted the devpath thing in my answer. That should fix it. Also, when normally developing you enter map in the consoling but to test the whole thing, briefing, shop, etc you need to put it in currentfm.txt before launching Darkmod then run it from the mission menus. I've not actually done that since the changes but presumably it still works.

Jesps, could you achieve it by having an item in your inventory and the player would select it and press enter, which would call the script? ("Remote control button A" and "Remote control button B" inventory items)

Or is it a minigame? Could it be done with a gui that is overlaid in player view, usable with the mouse? ("steampunk cannon controls: turn left, right and fire buttons.")

Sounds intriguingly unusual, is this for the unusual mission contest?

A gui hud was surprisingly easy to make. Thanks for the tip. Now there is just one small problem (and it's a big one)

When I move the cursor around on my gui, the player also turns, which can be distracting since he needs to look at a specific object while playing the mini-game.

A gui hud was surprisingly easy to make. Thanks for the tip. Now there is just one small problem (and it's a big one)

When I move the cursor around on my gui, the player also turns, which can be distracting since he needs to look at a specific object while playing the mini-game.

Cool!

Stop player control and transfer the the view to a camera. You could even have the controls have camera effects like shake or small turning when the buttons are pressed.

Like in the steampunk cannon example, you could glue the camera on the cannon's barrel. Then the turn buttons turn the cannon and the camera that is glued onto it.

Pointing the camera at a target_null that moves just a bit would make a mild camera held-in-hand shake effect and make the scene a bit more interesting.

http://wiki.thedarkm...Part_1:_Cameras

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have not been able to find a way of adding a hud to a camera. :mellow:

However, it seems map scripts can alter cvars. The cvar 'sensitivity' is the mouse sensitivity, by setting that to zero the player's view can be locked (and of course resetting it when done). Maybe not the most pretty solution, but it seems to work.

Now I just need to figure out how to rotate the player's view. :)

Now I just need to figure out how to rotate the player's view. :)

scriptEvent void startMouseGesture(float key, float thresh, float test, float inverted,

float turnHinderance, float decideTime, float deadTime);

Start tracking a mouse gesture that started when the key impulse was pressed.

Discretizes analog mouse movement into a few different gesture possibilities.

Impulse arg can also be a button, see the UB_* enum in usercmdgen.h.

For now, only one mouse gesture check at a time.

thresh: Waits until the threshold mouse input thresh is reached before deciding.

test: determines which test to do (0 = up/down, 1 = left/right, 2 = 4 directions, 3 = 8 directions).

inverted: inverts the movement if set to 1, does not if 0

turnHinderance: Sets the max player view turn rate when checking this mouse gesture

(0 => player view locked, 1.0 => no effect on view turning)

decideTime: time in milliseconds after which the mouse gesture is auto-decided, in the event that

the mouse movement threshold was not reached. A DecideTime of -1 means wait forever until the button is released.

deadTime: how long after attack is pressed that mouse control remains dampened by the fraction turnHinderance.

I have not been able to find a way of adding a hud to a camera. :mellow:

A bit of Dark Mod history this reminded me of. The first FM, Thief's Den, was made before missions could be completed. There was a Mission Complete screen but not implemented in-game yet. Fresh from Dromed's improvisations, what I did was point a camera at an entity gui pointing at the mission_complete.gui and teleported the player into a black room with a speaker playing the fanfare! I don't recall if any keys worked other than Esc to exit after that but I think I can claim to be the first person to play a Dark Mod mission to completion! Tada!

Loot objectives also were not working yet. I created a trigger counter and counted loot frobs manually!

Once we proved how close we were to completable missions then loot objectives and Mission Complete, etc. were implemented and the demo released working normally. I still have the original map though if we ever have a Dark Mod museum. Just browsed it but not tried to see if it still works.

• Like 3

Hey Guys,

I'm getting an unusual crash during dmapping. Actually, it's not during the dmap itself but right afterwards. I've noticed that there's a few seconds after the dmap process finishes that the game keeps on thinking (maybe it's compiling everything). It's during that time that my Doom 3 crashes. It seems like the AAS file is put together properly and I can play the game normally if I restart Doom 3, but I get a warning message saying that the rat AAS is out of date.

I have no clue where to even start trying to solve this :-(.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Are you actually using rats (or tiny spiders) in your mission? If so, try removing them.

EDIT: Oops, too slow.

Hey AluminumHaste,

I tried deleting those files and then re-demapping, but I still got the crash. I also tried erasing all the human AI's I added recently, and that didn't do anything either :-(.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com