The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I guess that makes sense for fan project overall, but cases like that (core systems) it needs some extra care, as it will be hard or impossible to change later. It's kinda too late for that, but it probably should have been something like snd_open / snd_opening, snd_closing / snd_closed. This way you have a bit more freedom, e.g. you can make more simple system, with just snd_opening/closing, where the two sounds include pressing the handle and door squeaking / squeaking and doors being shut. The downside is that the opening / closing time has to be systemic as well, it has to match the sounds. Or, you can have more complex 4 sound setup and you can change the door opening/closing speed.

I am not saying I am always happy with this. It's just the kind of inconsistencies one gets when several working on something every now and then with no clear hierarchical order behind that specifies the rules and concept. As you say, a fan project. :) The question is whether this or any other workaround justifies your needs or you (and preferable a few more people) would prefer a change beeing made. In the latter case all that is left is to convince the team to change it and someone to implement it :P

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

IMO it's kinda too late for that, as it would change behavior of all doors. (Or it would require new door entities.) For basic systems, I try not to think about what I want, but how to make it the most usable and versatile for the broadest user base I can think of. And since designing this stuff is rather hard without prior experience, I prefer copying solutions from other games or engines, instead of reinventing the wheel just for the fun of it ;) IIRC, the system I described is in Deadly Shadows. But this is kind of repeating the discussion Grayman linked to.

Edited by Judith

Noob question lol.

Cuts in brushes degrade performance right? I'm thinking a Moorish building in spain, like those ones with the Moorish stripes. My guess

is that would be a hit on performance due to the extra tris right?

ie

Cordoba%20Mosque1.jpg

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Cuts in brushes can make unnecessary divisions, which results in more tris than needed. But, the tris tolerance itself scales well with graphic cards. Shadow tris might be more problematic. Since you're already working with Epi, you can bother him to make an arch/column module in modeling software, so this way you'll have cleaner geometry and less shadow tris.

Edited by Judith

As an aside, I tried to make something just like this early in my dromed experimentation days, and that was my first experience with a map completely exploding when I tried to portalize it (dromed's version of dmap). And I think that was only for 3 or 4 arch sets! Now just looking at something like that rustles my BSP jimmies. Well, first off, I imagine you'd want to do this with patches or models overlaying a brushwork ceiling above it to begin with.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It's just a thought at the moment. I have to build an objective and I'm looking at different options for design, and

I was toying with this idea. Epi would definitely be able to do it, but I think he's a bit tied down at the moment, and

it was more a passing thought than a committed plan. I will probably try something else.

BTW I was talking about the orange and creme sections not all the arches. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I have encountered another problem: I would like to have a func_static that removes itself as soon as it is damaged, but for reasons unknown the entity does not react to the damage stim. Other stims like water and fire work fine. Does the func_static need any spawnargs to register damage? And if yes, which ones?

It needs health to be set to a value above zero, at least.

You could try func_damageable (not to be mixed up with func_damage!)

Unfortunately, this did also not work. Could you (or anyone) point me to any entity that can innately be damaged? I only found a damageable crate (ind Containers/Test), but this ouls also not break, when I hit it with the sword. Apparently, it is not that easy to register damage on an entity. With one that is known to work, I would just check all spawnargs for the one I am missing.

The movable wbottle entities in the kitchen folder can be damaged and spawn flinders.

What kind of response did you set on the entity? A Damage response would need an entity class set up to take damage and be 'killed', as other people have said (and it might need to have a stim magnitude set; if memory serves the magnitude is used as a multiplier for the damage def), but if all you want is to remove the entity from the game then there's a dedicated Remove response that should work.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

My current setup has a Damage Response and the effects "Remove _SELF" and "Frob Door". It works, when I use the Water or Fire Response, so it appears that it does not register the damage it takes. I will try later with the bottle's entity, but as far as I have seen this is a specific entity, which leads me to believe that not each entity can register damage

EDIT: Problem with the kitchen bottle entity is that it is moveable and needs a collision model, which I don't have for my entity.

Maybe a bit mor context, what I am trying to achieve: I want to create some ropes that disappear when shot, which in turn should trigger an entity that falls down and blocks a passage. First I tried to bind a moveable to the ropes, but either the obstacle got removed with the ropes (bind obstacle to rope) or the ropes fell down with the obstacle at mapstart (bind rope to obstacle). This is why I switched the obstacle to be a sliding door that moves down and need a trigger for it. As written before, this works fine with any other Stim than damage. Maybe there is another solution I am not thinking of, though.

Edited by Destined

The damage response will respond to a damage stim received. If nothing happens my assumption would be that weapons do not send any of such stims. I would guess that the collision model is required for the entity beeing able to be damaged. I mean the whole weapon system works with collision. However, when weapons are hitting buttons they normally activate them. So you could bind an invisible but solid func_button to the upper end of the rope that could take care of the rest.

Correct, weapons don't deal physical damage via Stim/Response. I've posted before, e.g. here, about the complications that implies for reacting to damage.

Buttons respond to physical impulses, I think (see e.g. the impulse_thresh_open spawnarg).

If nothing simpler works you might investigate scripting with SIG_DAMAGE: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Signals

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

There are missions that use boards the player can smash with a sword. WS1 has them. Maybe they'll provide clues?

Problem with the kitchen bottle entity is that it is moveable and needs a collision model, which I don't have for my entity.

A collision mesh wouldn't be hard to add if that's the only sticking point--build one out of brushes using a collision texture in DR and export it as a model.

You can do that. Another thing you can do is just choose an existing collision mesh, since often you'll find an object close enough in size and shape that its collision mesh works well enough. In this case, there's already a bottle collision mesh. But if it's the wrong size then a simple tall & skinny rectangular prism brush converted to a model is probably fine.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You can do that. Another thing you can do is just choose an existing collision mesh, since often you'll find an object close enough in size and shape that its collision mesh works well enough. In this case, there's already a bottle collision mesh. But if it's the wrong size then a simple tall & skinny rectangular prism brush converted to a model is probably fine.

He's talking about ropes though...I'm not sure there are existing cms long and thin enough to work for that.