The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Normally not. I'm not sure whether one could script that, as the lockpicking process is completely handled inside the code, not scripts iirc.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

why would you expect the mechanics of the lock to return to a partially picked state when the AI has used his key to relock the door, which by definition means the lock has been set to its fully locked state?

I think the solution is to lengthen the patrol of the AI so there's a time gap long enough to fully pick the lock. Or shorten the lockpicking time.

Greetings!

I had a question regarding the mod folder structure. I am currently working on a FM, and I would like to add some custom content in my PK4 (items, materials, sounds, animations...). I've read the wiki pages concerning the models and textures folder structures, but I can't get it together.

Could someone take a screenshot of the general folder structure of a FM ?

Thanks!

My advice to you would be to do as I did and install one of the larger and more custom fan missions and look at the folder structure in there (just use winRAR to extract the .pk4 to its own folder). The documentation is lacking or outdated for a lot of areas with regards to folder structure and asset locations, so use what exists along with a working example unpacked to your desktop to form an understanding of how it all comes together.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Got some time to follow some more of Fidcal's AZ tutorial. I get some kind of Z-fighting at the top of the courtyard here, but it's only one layer of portal sky, meaning it can't be two brushes overlapping. What is happening here?

fAb3Ima.jpg

Also, instead of the "value" of a light, I can only select a colour using the Windows colour selection dialogue. Is that normal?

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Got some time to follow some more of Fidcal's AZ tutorial. I get some kind of Z-fighting at the top of the courtyard here, but it's only one layer of portal sky, meaning it can't be two brushes overlapping. What is happening here?

Also, instead of the "value" of a light, I can only select a colour using the Windows colour selection dialogue. Is that normal?

Have you added a big fog to the scene? If so make the fog light a bit bigger still so it doesn't coincide with your portalsky.

"Value" in the latest version of DR is labelled "Lum:". Either adjust it directly or use the greyscale slider to the far right of the dialog.

Yeah, from the image it looks like fog. Fog lights create z-fighting if they directly end up at a surface.

Could someone please tell me why I get these weird lines whenever I walk near candles (i've tried it with a few different candles and get the same effect)

I'm running TDM 2.03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkrk_v4F5Gk

Another strange bug i've been having is light going through the floor. Above that make-shift door there are two lights and i've even rebuilt the door but the light still comes through the floor. It's so frustrating and I dont know how to solve it :/

o6hT9ps.jpg

I've never seen that "strange lines" issue, too. For the second issue, you should check whether there are caulked surfaces where the lights can shine through. But maybe you can't solve this. Had this issue, too in the past.

I've never seen that "strange lines" issue, too. For the second issue, you should check whether there are caulked surfaces where the lights can shine through. But maybe you can't solve this. Had this issue, too in the past.

Ah I see, it seems caulk was the culprit! Thanks haha now I just have to figure out the weird lines bug :/

However I am still having the first issue and I managed to noclip and get in close to the light and it looks like some sort of box, my guess would be the box of the light radius but I could be wrong

4MSbGxj.jpg

Light bleed: it's the ceiling of the room with the bleed that has to stop lights above shining through, not the floor of the room above. It's opposite to what goes on in real life: shadows are cast by the (invisible) back faces of polys only. Like Obs and grayman said, caulk sky won't shadow a room, and if you fix it with a patch the patch has to face downwards.

Your weird lines bug: hmmm, no idea. It seems to be moving independently of the light position, but it shows through by blotting out light from surfaces. It could be a renderer debug line... does it vanish if you set r_debugLineDepthTest to 1? (nb that cvar is sticky so you probably want to turn it off again).

What light texture is used by the candle. Did you use any other effects in that scene (fog, particle stuff or so). I'm just wildly guessing, as said this issue is unknown to me.

More of an animation question:

Is there a framecommand or other keyword to stop AI from pushing each other so that they can get close to each other in an animation?

There has to be one, because I remember Doom3 had two zombies, the other was lying on the ground and the other was feeding on the one of the floor. Also AI can pass through each other when in narrow spaces.

Does anyone know how to do it in animation?

Thanks!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

More of an animation question:

Is there a framecommand or other keyword to stop AI from pushing each other so that they can get close to each other in an animation?

There has to be one, because I remember Doom3 had two zombies, the other was lying on the ground and the other was feeding on the one of the floor. Also AI can pass through each other when in narrow spaces.

Does anyone know how to do it in animation?

Thanks!

Not tried any of this, I just had a look to see what could make an AI go solid and non-solid. Conversations and scripts and animations can apparently all do it.

Animations have frame commands "disableClip" to make an AI go non-solid, and "enableClip" to make them normal again.

Scripts have two ways to do it. They can use disable/enableClip() on the AI too, but they also have becomeNonSolid() and becomeSolid(). They seem to do the same thing in different ways.

Any of those can be used in a conversation too, from the "RunScript" option.

Depending what you're doing, you might want to reinforce the "enableClip" frame command by having a target_callObjectFunction activate enableClip() on the AI too when he or she leaves the area, in case the animation gets interrupted by the player before the AI becomes solid again!

• Like 2

Excellent! Thank you! It works!

Putting frame 1 disableClip into the anim seems to do the trick.

Also,

i) I can hurt the AI in animation with arrows, so attacks DO NOT go through them while disableClip is on.

ii) I can interrupt the animation and the AI seems solid towards the player and seems to function normally, even the anim never reached the enableClip frame command.

This removes a critical obstacle from the route to the stuff I want to do. Thanks again!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.