Abandoned Works

141 replies to this topic

#126 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

Wrecker's Reach, from the Crucible Campaign, is up for adoption. 
(It's possible this map may not run under the current TDM version, as it may reference out of date assets.)

[deleted]

If this map is part of the campaign there are no doubt going to be some specifications on what it should have (story, locations, characters, other things), do you have something to share on that?

Btw I recognised part of the dock area from some concept art that MrLemonyFresh created a long time ago, that was interesting to see. Also makes me wonder who else worked on it so far?

Edited by Dragofer, 09 July 2018 - 02:06 AM.

#127 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20179 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

If you have a more recent one feel free to post it.

Its in the campaign SVN repo, along with ALL the omen's mission's - which i don't have access to any more.

Edited by Bikerdude, 05 July 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#128 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:46 AM

Yes, probably that's the latest version before any modifications for Crucible. It might be a guide to what was originally intended as a stand-alone. Though whether it would be easier to work from that or from any later Crucible version I don't know. So long ago... I still think somewhere else there is more beta testing feedback. There's an illustrated storybook within the level and I vaguely recall someone praising that. Probably the latest Crucible upload is safest to work from as presumably it would have more bug fixes. Any developer can change it how they like anyway. Seems like a lifetime ago...

#129 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20179 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

Though whether it would be easier to work from that or from any later Crucible version I don't know. So long ago...

I beleive there was a bunch of bug fixing and other additional mapping work done that would say a new authother a a lot of work.

#130 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37378 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

Seems like a lifetime ago...

Well, seven and a half years is a lifetime in video game terms. :mellow:

That was two years before we went standalone.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#131 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:04 AM

I took a screenshot of Wrecker's Reach in its current state, fullsize here. (To get the map to run in 2.06 I temporarily deleted 2 custom moveables and had to use the 64-bit client, as the 32-bit client shut down during loading without any error message.)

ITwVweth.png

It's got a retro look, reminding me of missions as they were in 2010, so it'd be easier for a newer mapper to continue in the same style than if it were laden with particles, decals, detail models etc. like some of the other campaign maps. What's looking quite far along is over half the city and the galleon with its 4 decks, while the remainder of the city and a church area in the north are waiting for interiors.

As for my question in the previous message, it might be better to put it differently: how much liberty does a mapper have in making a campaign map? Is there anything else beyond the Story Editing document in the campaign repo?

Edited by Dragofer, 09 July 2018 - 02:07 AM.

#132 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20179 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:22 AM

@Dragofer,

• Correct, I did a lot of work on this map (see campaign map thread), I had planed to get to the north area and the church when that map was the nest inline to be released.
  • Thats a good question, on the one hand it would save you a lot of effort to use as much of the original story as possible, dropping the info that links it to the crucible campaign.

@Springheel, at this point I think it makes sense to make the campaign forum open to everyone.

Edited by Bikerdude, 09 July 2018 - 02:27 AM.

#133 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37378 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

As for my question in the previous message, it might be better to put it differently: how much liberty does a mapper have in making a campaign map? Is there anything else beyond the Story Editing document in the campaign repo?

As with any adopted map, you can do what you like with it--the hope is that at least some of the work that was put into it can be salvaged. Using the existing story probably doesn't make much sense, since the player would have no context for what is going on or why. 

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#134 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

As with any adopted map, you can do what you like with it--the hope is that at least some of the work that was put into it can be salvaged. Using the existing story probably doesn't make much sense, since the player would have no context for what is going on or why. 

If I'm reading this right this map no longer needs to be a part of the campaign? I can in some ways understand if you prefer the official campaign to be made entirely by the team, if that was the thought behind it, but regardless I think there should still be the option of continuing it as a campaign mission.

#135 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8987 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

Interesting thought.

I guess there's no reason why non-Team members can't release missions called "Crucible of Omens" other than

COO developers having qualms about the quality of the results, etc.

Since it's abandoned work, I'd say that as long as the resultant mission is at least on par with the average TDM

release there's probably no grounds for objection. The whole project was conceived as a menagerie anyway

so high quality FM authors from outside the original project should be fine.

I guess it just comes down to "we sorta promoted this as the official campaign".

We can side-step that by referring to it as "The Dark Mod Community Campaign" I guess.

Melan was the last one to have any authority over any of this, so if he says it's alright to continue the COO story

in these as a "community effort" then that should be all we need for that.

• Bikerdude likes this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#136 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37378 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

If I'm reading this right this map no longer needs to be a part of the campaign? I can in some ways understand if you prefer the official campaign to be made entirely by the team, if that was the thought behind it, but regardless I think there should still be the option of continuing it as a campaign mission.

You're right, I didn't make the situation clear in this thread (it was posted elsewhere).  The Crucible of Omens campaign is dead and has been for a long time.  Some of the maps have been reclaimed by their original authors to be used as they see fit.  The remaining ones are being offered to anyone who thinks they can use them, to try and avoid entirely wasting the time and energy that went into them seven years ago.  

#137 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20179 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

I guess there's no reason why non-Team members can't release missions called "Crucible of Omens" other than

COO developers having qualms about the quality of the results, etc.

+1

• CarltonTroisi likes this

#138 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20179 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:44 AM

Has anyone adopted Coo: Restless or Shadowhide's city mission?

#139 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4446 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:40 AM

POPULAR

I adopted Restless Plunder (along with one half of The Nexus), and will finish it up after my 20th anniversary contest mission.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, RPGista and 3 others like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#140 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20179 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

Has anyone adopted Shadowhide's city mission?

@Flood, I will grab this back if thats ok?

• nbohr1more, Anderson and CarltonTroisi like this

#141 fllood

fllood

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

@Flood, I will grab this back if thats ok?

sure Biker. Updated the list.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

#142 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20179 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users