Photo

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful by Melan (2013/07/28)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

POPULAR

loading_screen_penny_zps22b89ef0.png

Penny Dreadful is a new fan mission series dealing with the exploits and misfortunes of Gerald Foxley, lowlife and common opportunist. To stick with the theme of lurid and disreputable pulp literature, I plan these missions to be nasty, brutish and short. I will work on them when I get burned out with the campaign, or after we finish it.

The Grail of Regrets

"A few days ago, I received note from a man by the name of Grimy Morgan. I have bought the odd trinket from him before - he is one among the hundreds of workers labouring to keep Bridgeport's electricity supply going, and his kind always finds the most unusual things...

Morgan rigs water arrows in his underground lair, and occasionally, he is able to palm the odd piece of wind-up machinery when his superiors aren't looking... and most aren't looking too hard. This time though, he promised something more, a passage he'd discovered below the power junction he works in.

Morgan hasn't contacted me again, and I am starting to think he may be looking for other offers, or thinking of getting his hands on whatever's there on his own. So much for gratitude...

Whatever this is, he should have learned to keep his mouth shut. My name shall not be Gerald Foxley if I cannot claw my share from his hands - the only question is how much punishment he is prepared to take before paying up...

Download links:
MEGA (24 MB)
...and the mission downloader!

Notes:

• There are usually multiple ways to reach your targets - although some are less obvious than others.
  • There are no lockpicks in this mission, as Foxley can't use them; also, he is no master thief when it comes to stealth - be careful!
  • There is no poll to rate the mission because I do not believe in them. Your comments are welcome in writing, however!

Special thanks: to my testers, Bikerdude, skacky, TylerVocal, nbohr1more, Springheel and Premier, for detailed and thorough feedback. Springheel for the custom GUI, loading screen, and much appreciated criticism. Bikerdude for several performance and aesthetic fixes. All mistakes remaining are mine.

1.1 note: This mission has been released in an updated version. This update contains minor bugfixes, and cuts down on file size by removing duplicate assets which have been incorporated into the TDM core since the mission's release (24 instead of 72 MB!). Thanks are due to the betatesters of this new version, Bikerdude, lowenz, nbohr1more and Oldjim.

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, STiFU and 19 others like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#2 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5524 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

POPULAR

Ooh! Congrats for the release.

Posted Image
Playing a Melan TDM FM is like making love to a beautiful woman... You reserve plenty of free time, eliminate all distractions and then... You just close the curtains, dim the lights, get into the mood and enjoy.
  • Springheel, Bikerdude, AluminumHaste and 5 others like this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#3 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:55 AM

Congratulations. Now go away, summer and daylight, I want to play this.

#4 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

Sotha: awkward analogies ahoy! :blink:

Sooooo, did the mission crash inexplicably? ;)
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#5 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

That is a beautiful poster! Really captures a mood. Love it. Congratulations on yet another release, what a very pleasant surprise indeed.

Can't wait to dig in to this bad boy. Its 5 AM here and dark as a whore hole in here... headphones engaged!

Edited by Lux, 28 July 2013 - 04:12 AM.

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17958 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Mission page created and file mirror'd :-)

Its 5 AM here and dark as a whore house in here...

:laugh:

#7 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4746 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

Yippie \o/. Can't wait to play.
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#8 MoroseTroll

MoroseTroll

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

Downloading now... :)

#9 Briareos H

Briareos H

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Very good mission which succeeds, in my opinion, at appearing larger than it actually is. I was impressed by the fact that all three different areas/environments clearly received equal love, each standing on its own very well. I enjoyed the architecture and texture placement very much as well as the loot -- glad to see a mission which isn't a loot fest for once, I came short of a few gold but found most of it, including some nicely rewarding secrets.
I think the mission also succeeds at appearing more difficult than it actually is, there are lots of shadows but because of the layout and enemy placement, it is tense and fun.

Congratulations (and thanks!) for a great mission Melan :)

#10 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

Mission page created and file mirror'd :-)

:laugh:

Ooops!

On to the mission, wow... Penny Dreadful says it all!
Spoiler

Thanks, Melan, for yet another mission benchmark! Can't wait for further missions in this series.

#11 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11533 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Roger Calibristan, interviewing fans at Comic-Con, elicited this reaction during one notable interview: "Every time Melan releases a mission, I end up going back and tweaking my own WIP. So much to learn, and so little time."

Congrats! DL'ing now.

#12 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Got his error :( (TDM 2.0 last SVN build)
Can't make love to Melan's map :D

Edited by Springheel, 28 July 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#13 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 35903 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

(removed image for spoiler reasons)

Update your SVN and try it now.
Posted Image

#14 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17958 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Got his error :( (TDM 2.0 last SVN build)

Springheel did test this under 2.0 and didn't report this bug, so for now just play under 1.08.

[doh, ninja'd)

#15 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I have a problem - well several actually
First download link - Mega gives this result - using Firefox
Attached File  2013-07-28_165005.jpg   12.32KB   1 downloads
Second download link - Fidcal gives this result
Attached File  2013-07-28_165243.jpg   21.01KB   1 downloads
Third download link worked but trying it in V2 and I get a frame rate of 5 - 6 fps at the start then tried in 1.8 and got a frame rate of 6 - 9 fps
Forget frame rate problems - it is my system as I just tried Flakebridge Monastery and also got horrible frame rates - now to find out why
Update - one of the Kaspersky processes was using 97% CPU and I don't know why - a reboot fixed it

Edited by Oldjim, 28 July 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#16 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Phantastic mission!
I really enjoyed the setup, the puzzles and the architecture, as well as the uncertainty whether you will ever make it out again.
The notes about the machines were very confusing, though....
Spoiler

Emotional walkthrough. :rolleyes:
Spoiler

Not sure if I found an
Spoiler
or what... at any rate I got a fire-arrow... at some fairly unusual place.
The only question I would have :
pretty much at the beginning of the crypts,
Spoiler

How to get to there?

#17 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hmmm... A Melan mission is a really good reason to fire up the old laptop and play TDM again. Great news, this should be great!

#18 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Update your SVN and try it now.

Thanks, now it's working!

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#19 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11533 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well, the architecture is beautiful, but I must suck at this game, because I can't find my way off the streets. :blink:

#20 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17958 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Well, the architecture is beautiful, but I must suck at this game, because I can't find my way off the streets.

We had this issue in b-testing for some users....

Spoiler

#21 SirGen

SirGen

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Well this level lived up to the hype for me! The level layout was great. The use of ambient noise was spot on. The difficulty wasn't too easy or too hard.
Spoiler
I don't think that I've played any other levels by Melan yet, but I definitely look forward to them.
Spoiler

Thanks for the great level Melan!

Edited by SirGen, 28 July 2013 - 02:00 PM.

Alberic is my sparring partner.

Whaddya mean, smiley faces aren't punctuation :huh:

#22 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11533 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

Spoiler

#23 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#24 skacky

skacky

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I've managed to Perfect Thief the mission (getting all the loot while ghosting). The mission doesn't have a lot of loot indeed, but finding everything is not as easy as it looks. :P

Grayman:
Spoiler

#25 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7349 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Mirror:

https://dl.dropboxus...06561/penny.pk4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17706561/penny.pk4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users