The Dark Mod Forums

Thief (2014) Anyone played it?

Eyeshine

I didn't play it. Not being allowed to jump whenever you like is just insulting to me.

"First, they came for the level editing tools, which massively extended the life of a game and allowed fans to expand on the environment. Then they came for the water you can swim in, because "who needs water anyway?". Then they came for the jump button and the rope arrows, because designing levels to prevent the player from going places he's not supposed to go is hard. Next, they will come for the "free look" feature, because designers can force the player to look in a given direction, streamlining development and making the process of cranking out sequels and DLC faster.

I didn't play it. Not being allowed to jump whenever you like is just insulting to me.

You can't jump either in Arma 3 but it is an awesome game too :P

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

That's true, but at the same time, you can't strafe guards with a helicopter gunship in Thief, so it's a fine balancing act

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

the thing with jumping in thief 1 & 2 was that it made a noise, which would bring a guard towards you, and if you were out of view they would search for a while then give up, and while they were walking back to where they were you could knock them out. then you wouldn't have to waste a broadhead arrow to make a noise by firing it at stone or brickwork.

the problem with contextual commands in thief 4 using the same key to do many things is game breaking, because instead of it doing what you expect it to do it woulld randomly pick one of the options it had. eg you can use the contextual jump to jump over a gap on a roof section, only it swoops instead and you fall to your death.

then there's that factory where you have to hang from a hook to get to the next part, only to hang from the hook its not the jump key, its the use key, to get off the hook its not the use key or jump key its something like the x key, only it doesn't mention it in the keyboard settings, the hook dangles you in front of a guard if you don't get off in time, which is something like a 2 second gap after you enter the area on the hook with the guard. luckly there's a convenient cupboard you can hide in, which the guard wont look in, even if the guard saw you go in it. he'll wander around in front of the cupboard before giving up saying something like it must have been rats. the cupboards are used by the game to do a contextual game save. which is why if you die in game it will load you back in the game in the last cupboard you hid in, or at a zone cross over point if you haven't recently hid in a cupboard, or back on that hook if you die to the guard before getting in the cupboard.

the thing with jumping in thief 1 & 2 was that it made a noise, which would bring a guard towards you, and if you were out of view they would search for a while then give up, and while they were walking back to where they were you could knock them out.

You didn't even have to wait for them to give up. Just jump in place a few times, lean forward and when they come into range (because they always walked straight towards your current location) hit them with the blackjack. It worked so reliably you could almost consider it an exploit.

It was an exploit, even when the AI were actively attacking you, as long as you were in full shadow you could knock them out by hitting them on the back of the head.

And people wonder why I roll my eyes when they complain about TDM being too hard because they were good at Thief 1/2 blackjacking.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Actually, I did not know this exploit. On the other hand, I always was a "ghost" type player, and avoided knocking out guards. Maybe influenced by the old "Splinter Cell" games, where every interaction with NPCs gave a lower stealth score... Still, I tried to avoid detection and thus was pissed, when I did not get to a ledge I wanted to reach and alerted the guards. That's why I did not mind the missing or contextual jumping.

What about burricks in Thief Gold ?

What do the burricks have to do with any of the lame humor I mentioned in T3?

I only just finished playing T2014 today.

I remember that Eidos said that Stephen Russell (hallowed be his name) was not selected because T2014 required that the actor's voice performance be mo-capped.

Having played the game, I can't recall any sequence that required more than walking and talking ? Certainly nothing that Russell could not have done.

I guess in the end it was lucky for Stephen that he didn't get the gig, because the lines the Stephen Russell sound-a-like had to perform were atrociously written !

Did they use any of Russell's audition work in T2014 ? There's this guard in the new game that says "You need brass hammers to feel safe on the streets these days !". It sounds just like one of Russell's many guard voices from the originals.

• Like 2

MC excuses are really bullshit :P

Thief 2014 has a good VA of Garrett nonetheless, but take Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Sam Fisher.....

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

What do the burricks have to do with any of the lame humor I mentioned in T3?

Well, do you take burricks seriously? Weren't they part of some sense of humor? I hope I'm not confusing you.

I mean, in my understanding they were supposed to be more like a "cool" thing to add variety in the underground sections of the game but instead they were annoying since they ran faster (I think) than the other NPC's and had that spit they could through at 10 meteres..

In Thief 3 at least the Kurshok were more predictable and less annoying to deal with. Also they were part of the storytelling. All of that lore with how they ended up there. Together with the Reptiles who were with the Pagans in the Kurshok mission, curious twist. I fancied them from that point of view.

I'm not sure if the Kurshok were supposed to be a humorous smurf analogy of the Pagans but they were ok I guess. At least there's only like 2 instances they can be met throught the entire game.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Well, do you take burricks seriously? Weren't they part of some sense of humor? I hope I'm not confusing you. I mean, in my understanding they were supposed to be more like a "cool" thing to add variety in the underground sections of the game but instead they were annoying since they ran faster (I think) than the other NPC's and had that spit they could through at 10 meteres..

I didn't see anything particularly humorous about Burricks. I don't know what being annoying, running faster or having a missile weapon has to do with humour.

I never said anything about the Kurshoks. I'm talking about how ridiculously the pagan language was presented in T3. Just like in The Smurfs, the word "smurf" can be an adjective, verb or noun ("He sure smurfed that smurfy smurf, didn't he Papa Smurf?"), the Pagan dialect in T3 threw random "bees" into sentences and added "ies" onto the ends of words with no rhyme or reason.

the Pagan dialect in T3 threw random "bees" into sentences and added "ies" onto the ends of words with no rhyme or reason.

Wait, wasn't that the case in Thief 1 and 2 as well?

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

They did it far better. As Spring was saying, it was with no rhyme or reason in T3.

I recall the rhyme. But reason? Just because!

Why are Hammers are inclined to speak old English?

I don't know why Garret lives in a rent appartment whereas supposedly the money he makes could relieve him of living like a student on internship. I know a Thief has to be on the move all the time but... sometimes when he says that "I steal to pay my rent" is really odd. There are questions to the story at some points.

Why not take a house in the suburb or something ? :wacko:

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

In T1, the speech sounded sinister and ancient.

In T3, the speech sounded silly and childish.

Why not take a house in the suburb or something ? :wacko:

Because the last time he did that (in Autumn in Lampfire Hills), it turned out that there was a hidden tomb full of traps and the undead right below his suburban cottage? ;)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

In T1, the speech sounded sinister and ancient.

In T3, the speech sounded silly and childish.

You know, the fact that T3 implemented the Factions system probably exposed the weaknesses and sillyness of The Pagans just like that. You have a couple of bases around The City and an entire level with the Pagan Sanctuary dedicated entirely to them.

In Thief 1 most of the encounters with them were through cutscenes, various non-human enemies and only seldom human pagans who didn't speak that much in the first place. The Pagans were always kind of around but also an enigmatic entity.

Even Thief 2 had that hostility of The Pagans in The Trail of Blood despite the main mystery uncovered in Thief 1.

The very fact that you can be friends with Pagans changes some of the attitude towards them.

badge?user=andarson

That has little effect on the quality of the dialect the writers of Thief 3 put together.

There is a lot with the amount of dialogue in there. I'd say that it's more to do with the voice actors probably, rather than the writing.

Well, some people are more sensitive to it than others I guess.

The humor was pretty much the same for me in all 3 games. I didn't notice a significant difference.

badge?user=andarson

There is a lot with the amount of dialogue in there. I'd say that it's more to do with the voice actors probably, rather than the writing.

Well, some people are more sensitive to it than others I guess.

The humor was pretty much the same for me in all 3 games. I didn't notice a significant difference.

Really? Thief 1 and 2 didn't have broad slapstick comedy.

Really? Thief 1 and 2 didn't have broad slapstick comedy.

I really don't know, for instance I didn't find this funny very much:

But I guess you can't argue about someone's sense of humor, it's way too subjective.

badge?user=andarson

That illustrates nicely the difference between relatively mature humor and silly campy humor.