The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

I also just read that there seems to be some kind of NDA, which is probably why you don't read much about the process after being greenlit. Well, i at least hope you guys can get the full game on Steam, and people don't just pull the updater there, and have to install it themselves, or have any other of the advantages of Steam. Anything else would be quite a bummer, because it'd kind of defeat the point of being on Steam. More popularity, yes, maybe, although i have no idea how free greenlit games are being marketed within Steam (i figure people only get recommendations based on their purchases, or the games they were interested in, and TDM might pop up then).

It's far easier for commercial games.

Steam does not want to become entangled in the legality of GPL and Creative Commons.

Most projects that end-up on Steam aren't; made by a huge contributor community, code licensed as GPLv3 AND Creative Commons licensed as BY-NC-SA.

They have tasked us with creating a formal legal organization to carry all the liability of violating those license types.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, a quick Google search brought up this: https://partner.steamgames.com/

Ah, stupid me, i see now that it seems like you really have to be registered, and greenlit first to be able to access it. Well, that's weird. Thought they'd be interested in people informing themselves before they Greenlight.

Submitting to greenlight and having people vote for you is one thing. After being greenlit, Valve reveals all the legal crap...so yeah, it all came as a surprise. Hopefully it is something that works with TDM.

They have tasked us with creating a formal legal organization to carry all the liability of violating those license types.

And you have to be registered in the US as a mandatory condition?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

And you have to be registered in the US as a mandatory condition?

No, any organization legally recognized by the host government as a non-profit or equivalent should work.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

There's TONS of info on getting your game onto Greenlight and getting Greenlit, there's nothing about what happens AFTER that.

http://steamed.kotaku.com/inside-the-murky-process-of-getting-games-on-steam-1764091520

http://steamed.kotaku.com/the-future-of-steam-greenlight-1690655700

// also reddit

Edited by teh_saccade

I skimmed through both articles and didn't see any info about what happens after being greenlit, which is what we're talking about now. It's all the legal stuff they drop on you after being greenlit. It would have been helpful to have an official outline from valve before submission, before paying the submission fee. At least that way everyone knows what is expected and whether or not they even want to form a legal entity.

What do you want to know..?

Here's the steamworks partner FAQ landing:
https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/welcome

Unfortunately, it requires that you pony up the fee to get access to that info.
//this is where making friends with someone who has access is useful...

Thankfully, for you guys (and lamentably for the shovelware gamemakerstudioclones) the cost was marginal compared to what Steam Direct might be charging for the same service in the future.

Consider that greenlight (and NUbisoft) is a blight upon the gaming industry and ought to be burned alive.

Hopefully, it will be removed later this year:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-removing-steam-greenlight-this-spring

Edited by teh_saccade

lol we know all of that, there's nothing that you can add that we don't know at this point.

The biggest problem is that we're quite uncommon on Steam apparently, being CC license.

There's nothing in their FAQ or any online documentation about getting a CC game on Steam Greenlight.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

There's nothing in their FAQ or any online documentation about getting a CC game on Steam Greenlight.

If Valve can't manage this or it's too much effort, just keep TDM like it is or ask GOG instead. Steam never managed to sell a ready working version of Bloodlines either, but GOG did! After all the Greenlight process itself should have given some publicity to TDM and later claiming "We are the mod that didn'r care to be on Steam" would give some more ;)!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

After all the Greenlight process itself should have given some publicity to TDM and later claiming "We are the mod that didn'r care to be on Steam" would give some more ;)!

Not exactly a bragging right worth aiming for.

Let's see if the correspondence with Steam leads somewhere and how making a limited liability organization will turn out.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

lol we know all of that, there's nothing that you can add that we don't know at this point.

The biggest problem is that we're quite uncommon on Steam apparently, being CC license.

lol was trying to be helpful and share experience as "you" didn't show any indication of knowing owt.

Perhaps it would've been useful having a conversation with someone at valve before clicking buttons and then getting angry that you just spent £70 on a profile badge and a headache. This is the general route of things - asking someone when you don't know / can't find out (as in, hey, my game's free like it says in docs, but it's also a mod, but it's also free tech, so what hoops must I jump"?

Will stop adding to thread of useless drivel that is surmised in the words, "Steam CC license uncommon we know lol".

// one thing I *can* add that you don't know is that having a "steamworks developer badge" on your personal profile does not get you more chicks.

// fuck steam - it's a massive toilet bowl of unflushed shovelware - go with abandonware pirates, GOG.

Edited by teh_saccade

I do agree with your that the Steam community often leaves a lot to be desired.

Ours is much better, but we don't have the numbers they do.

Steam is a HUGE target for anyone thinking of releasing a game, or increasing exposure.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

We did try to get info about Steam in advance and it had us spinning in circles getting nowhere for a really long time. Plus even if we had held off we might not have made the cut off until their new system. So if we were in the wrong it's forgiveable.

I'm not a fan of the general Steam community either. But I am in favor of all those people who think like us out there that may literally have no other avenue to find out about us. We don't have an advertising budget, and this gets our project seen by more people than we could get close to otherwise.

That said, if it's really not in the stars then we can legit say we gave it an honest shot and as a nice silver lining we still have our fantastic little community already here that's not going to get bombarded by steambros.

• Like 4

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

If Valve can't manage this or it's too much effort, just keep TDM like it is or ask GOG instead. Steam never managed to sell a ready working version of Bloodlines either, but GOG did! After all the Greenlight process itself should have given some publicity to TDM and later claiming "We are the mod that didn'r care to be on Steam" would give some more ;)!

I don't see a benefit of releasing at GOG BTH. They're not nearly as big as Steam, and they don't have something like Steamworks either (whether or not TDM will be making any use of it...). Articles in games magazines will probably have a much bigger impact than getting your game on GOG.

• 4 weeks later...

We did try to get info about Steam in advance and it had us spinning in circles getting nowhere for a really long time. Plus even if we had held off we might not have made the cut off until their new system. So if we were in the wrong it's forgiveable.

I'm not a fan of the general Steam community either. But I am in favor of all those people who think like us out there that may literally have no other avenue to find out about us. We don't have an advertising budget, and this gets our project seen by more people than we could get close to otherwise.

That said, if it's really not in the stars then we can legit say we gave it an honest shot and as a nice silver lining we still have our fantastic little community already here that's not going to get bombarded by steambros.

Fair enough.

Sometimes, if the source doesn't want to tell - it can help to ask someone who's been through the process. WRT advertising, I can see the benefit - so I hope it is worth the expense, time and effort that you will put into this and best of luck.

Life's a bitch and you learn from it so you don't catch syphillus next time.

---

I'd say to the comment above:

Why disregard GOG, (who basically screwed over the abandoware scene, but allow me to play any £40 game I want DRM free, for free before I decide to buy it since there's no demo)?

Would a game like Thief 2 appeal more to GOG users or Steam kids?

Why must it be so black and white that it cannot be both, eh?

"I don't see the point of selling sandwiches anywhere but the biggest sandwich shop, cos there's loads of people who go there - even though there's the bakery where people love our fillings and like the bread".

Duhhhhhhhh 0 or 1 only please. No other input acceptable. Must. Close. Mind.

• Like 1

Try speaking with fables on reddit, perhaps..?

https://www.reddit.com/user/fables22

There's also this that contains the form to submit your game to their catalogue:

https://www.gog.com/indie

However, they have a policy that they don't publish F2P games and - essentially - because TDM is free... it might be why you've not received a reply.

Money talks and all that...

fkn abandonware thieving cyberpunk ruining mthrfkrs.

Edited by teh_saccade

I dislike GOG for killing the abandonware scene and profiting from exploitation of dusty old crap and donations, like a cat charity shop that pockets all the cash to look after "the cats" which are their own cats and give a can of premium tuna for their mates every now and then.

They even use the same exact same cracked .exe for Covert Action that we sorted fkn years ago.

The only good thing about GOG is it saves sourcing a dodgy crack for the new titles, imho.

No big loss - I forgot about the F2P thing.

But you guys are in a bit of a bind with this one, with steamworks and trying to get onto a major platform, if you want to keep it as a free game... I can't think of a solution that doesn't involve you spending money to not break even that doesn't involve donations from, eg, kickstarter for incorporation and licensing, etc.

Plus, you're gonna be in the same category as Clicker Heroes... and that makes it a tough decision on which F2P game I want to download...

Have you tried itch.io or Humble Store?

They get press fairly often in the rags.

Well GOG is the only place to get out of the box working Fallout, Planescape Torment, many other obscure adventure/RPG games. They have reasonable prices and more attention to detail rather than releasing unpolished old games as Steam does in chunks (unless the devs step in as was the case for KOTOR 2).

Step by step I guess. If it's necesarry GOG could be the next candidate. They seem to be doing fairly well for themselves. Most importantly Witcher 3 jump started them on the no-DRM crowd.

badge?user=andarson