Photo

Fan Mission: Braeden Church (by grayman) (2018/7/1)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

POPULAR

Announcing the release of Braeden Church.

Attached File  braeden_church.jpg   948.54KB   2 downloads

Summary

William Steele: In the North introduced us to some memorable characters: Lord Harckoff, Lieutenant Trumble, Father Grimmore ...

The setting was a renovated Builder church. But what was that church like, back when Father Grimmore was alive and the Harckoff family was nowhere to be seen?

This mission takes place on one very nasty night back then, when a gang of murderers and thieves raided the church.

You happen to be in Braeden on the same night, and you decide to visit the church, with a goal that's quite different than what the gang had in mind.

Download

This mission requires TDM 2.06 or later.

Available through the in-game mission downloader.

Build Time

Who knows? This was an idea I had after releasing In the North, and it got built in bits and pieces over the years. Its time has finally come.

Thanks to ...

Bikerdude, Amadeus, Cambridge Spy, Ubersuntzu, s.urfer, and AluminumHaste for beta testing.

Bikerdude and Mortem Desino for the conversation voices.

I18N

Initially, this mission is not ready for translation. I intend to deal with that in the future.

Recommendations

1. If you haven't played In the North, I recommend you play it before you play Braeden Church. (Braeden Church is NOT a Steele mission.)

2. For those of you inclined to race past conversations, I suggest you don't in this case. The opening conversation is an important part of the mission.

Enjoy!!

• Springheel, Bikerdude, AluminumHaste and 13 others like this

#2 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Grats! I was looking forward to this.

#3 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8927 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Added to the missions page and it should be available in the in-game downloader:

http://www.thedarkmo...details/?id=128

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#4 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

Thanks, NB. Will edit OP in the morning.

#5 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:45 AM

Great mission, thank you Grayman!

It's my first time playing on v2.06 and it felt like a big upgrade to me.

The atmosphere in this FM is fantastic, especially when you...

Spoiler

I found all 3493 loot on my first playthrough without breaking a sweat. Everything was placed/hidden intuitively, which was great. It took me a minute to work out how to use the magic key, though :-)

Thank you for all of the hard work that went into this.

EDIT: In case anyone else has trouble figuring out how to use the magic key, you have to...

Spoiler

Edited by Kerry000, 02 July 2018 - 08:53 AM.

• Tarhiel and Thiefette like this

#6 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

Great! Glad you liked it!

#7 Cambridge Spy

Cambridge Spy

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

Here's my playthrough of Braeden Church:

• RPGista likes this
"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

#8 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Enjoyable out of 10.

Observations:

Spoiler

#9 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:48 PM

@SuaveSteve:

Spoiler

Thanks for playing!

#10 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:45 AM

Edited by Atomica, 01 August 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#11 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:07 AM

In general, possible missing textures, models, skins, script support, etc.

In particular to this mission, no idea. We don't typically test how missions will behave on older versions of TDM.

Edit:

And if you have a crash or hang or some other problem, we don't usually debug older TDM versions.

So it's best to upgrade. 2.06 is ~280Mb when updated on top of 2.05.

#12 taffercobbles

taffercobbles

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:29 AM

I really enjoyed this. Because I wanted the revenants to have people to fight, I broke my usual habit of blackjacking everyone and played the game properly, sneaking around. OK, I may have still blackjacked one or two. Missed around 300 loot, so I'll have to go back to it when I have time.

#13 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

Was fun to blackjack all the bad guys.

For blackjack-oriented players, this mission is too easy even on expert - despite having invisible light gem brighteners in random places on the exterior.

I would expect ghosting to be hard though.

Spoiler

#14 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1839 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

Nice litte-size-big-esploration FM!

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#15 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:41 PM

Nice litte-size-big-esploration FM!

Thanks!!

#16 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

For blackjack-oriented players, this mission is too easy even on expert

To each his opinion, but... i really hope that mission makers don't take note about the "lack of difficulty", which is often stated here. The general difficulty in TDM and its mission is so extremely high that it puts Thief 1-4 to absolute shame, and makes them complete childs play. For casual players, it's absolutely fatal when mission makers make the missions even harder, because a handful of elite players think it's easy peasy. TDM by itself is a very hard game, especially for people getting onto stealth games, who aren't used to hide, avoiding AI to see them, blackjacking, which is much harder in TDM than in the original Thief's etc. If you really want people to get into stealth gaming, and TDM, please, don't make the missions so hard. It's already hard enough for me, and i play Thief games for 15 years now. Not a specific request regarding your statement, or this mission, just a general thing. I don't think anyone but a couple of players benefit from ultra hardcore carnage difficulty.

TBH, if someone states that the mission was "too easy" for him, i actually expect just the right kind of challenge. :P While when someone writes "The mission was the right difficulty", i already expect to be frustrated. Like at the start of the Cleighmoor mission. I mean, don't get me wrong, nice mission and all, but, 4 elite guards with flares in the sewers right at the start is a bit way over the top, especially when you're supposed to pickpocket them for maximum loot results. Why would 4 elite guards guard sewers anyway?

Edited by chakkman, 03 July 2018 - 02:57 PM.

• Judith and Atomica like this

#17 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1839 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

Thanks!!

And it's so charming and fascinating to revisit those good old RED catacombs!

Edited by lowenz, 03 July 2018 - 03:05 PM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#18 Boiler's_hiss

Boiler's_hiss

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

Most of my impressions of FM are already noted by others, thus it remains after me to ask this.

Spoiler

Edited by Boiler's_hiss, 03 July 2018 - 03:49 PM.

• AluminumHaste likes this

#19 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

Spoiler

#20 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:12 PM

For casual players, it's absolutely fatal when mission makers make the missions even harder, because a handful of elite players think it's easy peasy.

The higher base difficulty of TDM is likely caused by having more game mechanics that take longer to master (it took years until i realized that i can ceil-water-arrow torch bearers and i still didn't try the crate knockout myself).

But there are difficulty levels for the Missions and extra difficulty settings in the options menu. So it probably is possible to make most missions as easy as the old thiefs by just making the AI almost deaf and blind.

And i am definitely not an elite player - i can't finish most of Fieldmedics missions and never completed "Swing".

Like at the start of the Cleighmoor mission. I mean, don't get me wrong, nice mission and all, but, 4 elite guards with flares in the sewers right at the start is a bit way over the top, especially when you're supposed to pickpocket them for maximum loot results. Why would 4 elite guards guard sewers anyway?

Yes, Cleighmoor sewers where a challenge. I do not remember elite guards though. But they had lanterns and the noisy water made sneaking up on them a lot harder.

#21 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

Hey, congrats on the release! I'm a little late to the game, haha (this month has been insane for me) but I can't wait to try out the final version!

#22 Wenex

Wenex

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for creating those missions and keeping the game fresh and alive :) I think I said it once to you in PM or somewhere but will say it again; my favourite FM I ever played on TDM was created by you. Can't remind myself of a name, but I remember it had a prison/warehouse atmosphere with I believe some sewer parts.

Can't wait to check this one after I finish Shadows of Northdale. Cheers.

@edit

I found the FM you created that I fell in love with. It was William Stelle, but I'm not entirely sure which one exactly. It must have been the first one though, since I barely started playing TDM back then.

Edited by Wenex, 10 July 2018 - 06:48 AM.

#23 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:36 AM

The general difficulty in TDM and its mission is so extremely high that it puts Thief 1-4 to absolute shame, and makes them complete childs play.

You really should try my TDM Unofficial Patch, if you have not already, it helps with black jacking a lot and exstinguishing more light sources makes the game easier as well! So I recently played this mission as well and was able to black jack everyone on Easy before I entered the catacombs so no enemies for the revenants were left...

Edited by wesp5, 13 July 2018 - 01:36 AM.

#24 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

Congratulations on the release. Will look forward to playing this once TDM is updated. :D 

Thank you 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#25 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

You really should try my TDM Unofficial Patch, if you have not already, it helps with black jacking a lot and exstinguishing more light sources makes the game easier as well! So I recently played this mission as well and was able to black jack everyone on Easy before I entered the catacombs so no enemies for the revenants were left...

I always wanted to give it a go, but, never did. Thanks for reminding, i will do soon. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users