• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#126 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

No backup, no pity. Always have backups!

• OrbWeaver likes this

#127 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7597 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:08 AM

you send your map to a beta tester who also has access to the finished map download server they alter your map, you think its finished, you send your finished map the the person who has access to the download server, they think their map improvements are better than yours, they up load their version of your map, you only find out later on after people have been playing your map that they are not playing your version of your map but someone else's version.

That's a different scenario. I was asking specifically about the situation described by AluminumHaste, where Bikerdude sends the map back to the original author rather than publishing it himself.

Or, you send your version to someone with a specific request for them to do ONE THING, and they send the map back.  You thank them, dive in, and do some more work, before discovering that they made all kinds of changes that you didn't want and didn't ask for.  You didn't think to look at the entire map, because you never assumed someone would just decide to pave over your own work without permission like that.

Well yes, I suppose that makes sense if you're working on a large and complex map, and manually inspecting everything is not easy. Unlike code, there is no real way to "inspect the diff" of changes to a map, even if you are using version control, because the map is not human-readable but has to be loaded into DarkRadiant or the game itself.

What I've done to myself also Orbweaver is that I stupidly overwrote the files in the map directory with what I thought were the latest files. Didn't realize until it was too late.

Fair enough, we all make mistakes. But this really highlights why you should not rely on just a single copy of the map in your maps directory, but should have regular backups or version control.

Perhaps I need to make a tutorial on "Basic version control for mappers" or something, because this is such an easy problem to solve. It makes me sad to think people are losing work and burning out as a result of data loss that could so easily have been prevented.

• Sotha and Anderson like this

#128 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:06 AM

Isn't there a hint like "keep backups" in the A-Z tutorial? If not, I could look for a good place to add it. I don't think that people need a tutorial on how to create backups, but working with SVN may not be too bad.

• Anderson likes this

#129 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

The devil hides in the details.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#130 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:50 PM

Perhaps I need to make a tutorial on "Basic version control for mappers" or something, because this is such an easy problem to solve. It makes me sad to think people are losing work and burning out as a result of data loss that could so easily have been prevented.

At least, in Windows, there's the option to sync certain folders to online storage and/or some local drive.
I've included the maps, dependent folders and 'wip/subfolder' of the DR/TDM partition to be sync'd to the external usb storage drive, as well as the archive drive, along with other game projects and those massive adobe files and assets.

This way, there's no need to manually copy stuff every time - the sync'd folders don't have their content deleted as with dropbox or onedrive sync or whatever.
Rather than mirror, it can be set to contribute so that the files aren't removed from the sync'd folder if they're removed from the source, or altered/removed at the source if they are in the sync.
I'm not sure if it will save duplicates as (copies). Not something I've ever tried due to my convention.

Even with Illustrator's crash recovery update last year, using that stuff (especially on windows), I think it's made me a little OCD when it comes to saving stuff regularly and in a numbered sequence.

The tool from MS is called SyncToy:

https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=15155

To make backups to more than one location using the sync, it's possible to daisy-chain the first sync'd folder to another.
Once it's set, it's just a case of taking the start-up performance hit and the time for the copy operation.

Pretty sure there are going to be many freeware sync things for all platforms.
This one's nice because it's simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users