The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@ capela: You did some nice screen shots a few months back and then disappeared. I thought that maybe you gave up which was a shame as you showed so much promise. please stick with it as your screens show that you have an ability for creating art in DR.

Thanks man, im happy to see someone that think doing a game its a form of art. I usually don't vote, i should. Your cathedral.. I silent take notes to... B)

Thanks man, im happy to see someone that think doing a game its a form of art. I usually don't vote, i should. Your cathedral.. I silent take notes to... B)

Sure it's art. I don't see how this is any different than panting a picture but instead of using paint and paper your clicking on points of a grid.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

His lordship's bathroom. The idea was that this is the kind of family that reads about the tropics but lives encased in marble, so it's a kind of abstract representation of lying in a canoe on a sundrenched sea. I'm wondering whether the upper walls look a bit empty, but I'm not sure what to add to them.

itb4.jpg

It's barely visible in a static image, but there's steam rising above the tub. For some reason, using a deform particle patch interfered with the bath's shadow on the floor below. I'm now using a cluster of manually placed func_emitters instead, and this no longer happens:

light_edge.jpg

• Like 3

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I love your use of colors & the design of everything!

Looking forward to your FM :)

Edited by Goldwell

@Goldwell Thanks! That's really encouraging.

I hope it ends up playing well. I'm the kind who cares about setting the scene a lot, so my effort is often going into thoughts like "Hmm, I wonder whether I could reskin that statue as topiary to make it reflect pagan-wilds-versus-technological-urbanisation themes", rather than patrol routes and so on. But time will tell.

Thats creative, neo design with the minimalistic bathtub. ;) Consider using more everyday objects to give it a more lived in feel, like a bench to help people go into the tub, tubes with dripping water to counter the pure surfaces, and windows to let in the moon light, otherwise those plants wouldnt be able to stay alive.

Edited by RPGista

It's barely visible in a static image, but there's steam rising above the tub. For some reason, using a deform particle patch interfered with the bath's shadow on the floor below. I'm now using a cluster of manually placed func_emitters instead, and this no longer happens:

It could be simply that the patch was upside down, release the particles donwards, which then raise again. Have you tried flipping it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm wondering whether the upper walls look a bit empty, but I'm not sure what to add to them.

Perhaps paint them to look like the sky on a sunny tropical day? Mostly light blue, with the odd tuft of white cloud, and maybe in the distance, a few birds? Noone expects the sky to be "full of stuff", so that might be an easy way to have your empty upper walls look in place?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

@Tels I just tested, and it definitely happens when the patch isn't upside down. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

@RPGista Windows do have yet to be added, but they'll be in positions you can't see in that shot. I like the idea of tubes in general, but I'm not sure an opulent, marble-walled bathroom would have pipework left in plain view. (Plumbing is giving me trouble, since the faucet_simple models don't fit a posh bathroom well.)

@Xarg Cheers, that's a possibility. It depends on how it would go with the blue floor, and in general how it would fit with the rest of the design (where the sun tile is presently the only 'pictorial' element).

Edited by VanishedOne

If you used a cool, medium blue (like how the sky is at mid day) for the sky, to contrast with the warm light blue you've used for the water, it should be ok given that you've got the golden sand as a barrier between the blues, even from the perspective of someone lying in the bath.

Edit: Maybe even use some patches to make the clouds come out of the wall, like someone made them out of white cloth with something like feathers in it, to give it a more 3D effect? Perhaps a fan behind a sand coloured grate behind the tree to create a "wind" effect in the room, so the plants move around a little? Depends how "realistic" the tropical bathroom is supposed to be, I guess

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Some more shots of my WIP -

post-496-0-00243600-1416836103_thumb.jpgpost-496-0-81180800-1416836108_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-62582300-1416836119_thumb.jpgpost-496-0-55427300-1416836128_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-25804000-1416836137_thumb.jpg

And when are we going to be blessed with exploring this beauty?!

I've been teased so much with your pictures, I want some reward now :D

Love the parlour and kitchen shots. Those new wallpaper textures make a huge difference!

• 2 weeks later...

Very consistent colour scheme, and a neat level of detail. Nice!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved