The Dark Mod Forums

Abandoned Works

fllood

Wrecker's Reach, from the Crucible Campaign, is up for adoption.

(It's possible this map may not run under the current TDM version, as it may reference out of date assets.)

[deleted]

If this map is part of the campaign there are no doubt going to be some specifications on what it should have (story, locations, characters, other things), do you have something to share on that?

Btw I recognised part of the dock area from some concept art that MrLemonyFresh created a long time ago, that was interesting to see. Also makes me wonder who else worked on it so far?

Edited by Dragofer

Yes, probably that's the latest version before any modifications for Crucible. It might be a guide to what was originally intended as a stand-alone. Though whether it would be easier to work from that or from any later Crucible version I don't know. So long ago... I still think somewhere else there is more beta testing feedback. There's an illustrated storybook within the level and I vaguely recall someone praising that. Probably the latest Crucible upload is safest to work from as presumably it would have more bug fixes. Any developer can change it how they like anyway. Seems like a lifetime ago...

Seems like a lifetime ago...

Well, seven and a half years is a lifetime in video game terms. :mellow:

That was two years before we went standalone.

I took a screenshot of Wrecker's Reach in its current state, fullsize here. (To get the map to run in 2.06 I temporarily deleted 2 custom moveables and had to use the 64-bit client, as the 32-bit client shut down during loading without any error message.)

ITwVweth.png

It's got a retro look, reminding me of missions as they were in 2010, so it'd be easier for a newer mapper to continue in the same style than if it were laden with particles, decals, detail models etc. like some of the other campaign maps. What's looking quite far along is over half the city and the galleon with its 4 decks, while the remainder of the city and a church area in the north are waiting for interiors.

As for my question in the previous message, it might be better to put it differently: how much liberty does a mapper have in making a campaign map? Is there anything else beyond the Story Editing document in the campaign repo?

Edited by Dragofer

@Dragofer,

• Correct, I did a lot of work on this map (see campaign map thread), I had planed to get to the north area and the church when that map was the nest inline to be released.
  • Thats a good question, on the one hand it would save you a lot of effort to use as much of the original story as possible, dropping the info that links it to the crucible campaign.

@Springheel, at this point I think it makes sense to make the campaign forum open to everyone.

Edited by Bikerdude

As for my question in the previous message, it might be better to put it differently: how much liberty does a mapper have in making a campaign map? Is there anything else beyond the Story Editing document in the campaign repo?

As with any adopted map, you can do what you like with it--the hope is that at least some of the work that was put into it can be salvaged. Using the existing story probably doesn't make much sense, since the player would have no context for what is going on or why.

As with any adopted map, you can do what you like with it--the hope is that at least some of the work that was put into it can be salvaged. Using the existing story probably doesn't make much sense, since the player would have no context for what is going on or why.

If I'm reading this right this map no longer needs to be a part of the campaign? I can in some ways understand if you prefer the official campaign to be made entirely by the team, if that was the thought behind it, but regardless I think there should still be the option of continuing it as a campaign mission.

Interesting thought.

I guess there's no reason why non-Team members can't release missions called "Crucible of Omens" other than

COO developers having qualms about the quality of the results, etc.

Since it's abandoned work, I'd say that as long as the resultant mission is at least on par with the average TDM

release there's probably no grounds for objection. The whole project was conceived as a menagerie anyway

so high quality FM authors from outside the original project should be fine.

I guess it just comes down to "we sorta promoted this as the official campaign".

We can side-step that by referring to it as "The Dark Mod Community Campaign" I guess.

Melan was the last one to have any authority over any of this, so if he says it's alright to continue the COO story

in these as a "community effort" then that should be all we need for that.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If I'm reading this right this map no longer needs to be a part of the campaign? I can in some ways understand if you prefer the official campaign to be made entirely by the team, if that was the thought behind it, but regardless I think there should still be the option of continuing it as a campaign mission.

You're right, I didn't make the situation clear in this thread (it was posted elsewhere). The Crucible of Omens campaign is dead and has been for a long time. Some of the maps have been reclaimed by their original authors to be used as they see fit. The remaining ones are being offered to anyone who thinks they can use them, to try and avoid entirely wasting the time and energy that went into them seven years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

@Flood, I will grab this back if thats ok?

sure Biker. Updated the list.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

• 5 months later...

That's a dead link Spring. This is why we really need a central place to store all these things. It's understandable people need to clear out

their cloud storage, but it's a real shame when we lose stuff. If we had a central place where it was all stored, it'd be there for everyone

for as long as the mods alive. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

That's a dead link Spring. This is why we really need a central place to store all these things. It's understandable people need to clear out

their cloud storage, but it's a real shame when we lose stuff. If we had a central place where it was all stored, it'd be there for everyone

for as long as the mods alive. :)

What link are you talking about?

Does anyone have a copy of Wreckers Reach? I tried downloading it from the Campaign.7z, but it downloads, but fails

to save on my disk everytime, even though there's 1Tb free. I tried a few times, n gave up.

What I'm really looking for is a quarter circle of that delapidated pier model we have. We only seem to have straight sections.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Does anyone have a copy of Wreckers Reach? I tried downloading it from the Campaign.7z, but it downloads, but fails

to save on my disk everytime, even though there's 1Tb free. I tried a few times, n gave up.

What I'm really looking for is a quarter circle of that delapidated pier model we have. We only seem to have straight sections.

I do happen to have a copy of Wrecker's Reach, after downloading the campaign not too long ago from bikerdude's mega link on Chrome. Might be that the safest way to download that is to install the Mega program to your pc or phone.

There are no circular piers here however. You'd have to make brushes, texture them with pier_platform and rotate them to get piers like in that Chains of Satinav screenshot.

neons_harbour.zip.txt

• Like 1

Thanks Dragofer. Appreciate it. Will look over it later on and see if has any nice ideas for another map I've been fiddling with.

• 4 months later...

This actually might be interesting if it's possible to to put some smaller builds into one map .. but I dont know if it is, for every map will have objects with the same names ..

What I'm making now is central courdyard with 5 doors. 1 leads to the end level that I'm building now myself, but behind the others will be teleporters to 4 different (themed) places .. that I know I won't finish all myself.

Is it possible to make a whole map a prefab, so it can be put in an other map, or is there an other/better way, or is it impossible?

This actually might be interesting if it's possible to to put some smaller builds into one map .. but I dont know if it is, for every map will have objects with the same names ..

What I'm making now is central courdyard with 5 doors. 1 leads to the end level that I'm building now myself, but behind the others will be teleporters to 4 different (themed) places .. that I know I won't finish all myself.

Is it possible to make a whole map a prefab, so it can be put in an other map, or is there an other/better way, or is it impossible?

Technically speaking what you want to do is very simple. All it takes is to open DarkRadiant twice to open both maps, then select & copy-paste (via ctrl c & v) between them. Names get updated automatically, so if both maps have func_static1 to 100 then the new arrival's func_statics will get renamed 101 to 200. If there are spawnargs referring to these names they conveniently also get updated. What you'd have to watch out for is that you'd probably have multiple ambient_world lights, location setting entities etc.

Whether this is advisable at this point is another question:

1) For your first map you could reasonably expect to have your hands full just getting a feel for how all the parts of a complete mission work. The generally advised practice on these forums is therefore to aim to get everything to work on a smaller scale, as each step already takes longer than usual if it's your first time and mistakes are easier to correct, before moving on to more ambitious projects.

2) Each mapper works differently. I've taken over a harbour map from this thread but spent considerable time figuring out how the map's been put together and then reshaping it into a state I personally can work with. For example, rooves and subterranean brushwork were highly irregular, both requiring a redo before I could add attics & basements without getting confused. This kind of work is something I'd recommend putting in if you find a map idea here that you want to see to fruition (i.e. I have a high affinity for maritime environments and also had a large ship looking for a new home). But if you just want to have some more content in your map then I'd say it'd probably be more wholesome for you to use (mostly) your own work. This is just my personal opinion based on my own experience, though.

• Like 3