The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Playing chapter 5 and I see they stole an idea from our very own Saturnine from his mission 'Rose Cottage'

But you're not going to tell us what that is..? ;) If it's the mannequin thing, that's been done before in other games prior to Rose Cottage.

Edited by brethren

Maybe it's a reference to the Shroud of Turin and we are not looking too deeply into things.

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Well, if you recall "J.C." Denton from Deus Ex...

Edited by Melan
  • Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

NuFans suck. Look at all this information I see no hardcore defender of Thiaf bothered to notice:

The game's been out a little over a week. I think most fans are still working on finishing the game. And to be honest, the majority of Thief fans (old or now) aren't nearly as pedantic as you are.

SHROUD Cloth Simulation Engine

I raised an eyebrow over that too.

Tell me if I'm crazy, but I vaguely remember a description of the HUD where the edges of the screen were supposed to be darkened by Garrett's hood, which he put on whenever he went into some kind of stealth mode. Did I just dream that or does someone else remember the same thing?

• Like 1

I shot a guy in the forehead yesterday (focus mode off and no arrow cam), and I have to admit it was pretty satisfying watching him keel over like a log with half the arrow jutting out the back of his head, the feathers perched against his forehead.

Edited by Lux

it was pretty satisfying watching him keel over like a log with half the arrow jutting out the back of his head, the feathers perched against his forehead.

Jeez, and to think I've been called sadistic in the past. Your calling card could be taking away the shaft and leaving the fletching on your victim's forehead. Probably shouldn't give you any ideas, actually.

So many time now I kill every fucking Ai around me because they keep repeating the same fucking line over and over again, but then to maintain my no-kill moral code I do a quick load.

Haha, I do that with TDM. If I get discovered by somebody in a particularly annoying way, I'll rail them with a broadhead and then load.

• Like 1

Yesterday i acted by instinct without thinking like the pro acrobat that i am, climbing on the ledge of a walkway to mantle towards the next higher walkway. Except i was playing Thi4f and not TDM. So it was decided that i could not mantle on the ledge but instead i had to be mantling over the ledge and down i went towards the pavement below. Which was ok because i landed on some woman. Who thought i was assailing her and quickly ran to the guards. No problem since i'm a highly skilled escapist. By the time she reached the guards i was safe lurking in the dark, many streets away. However since this was thi4f i still lost. The game finally remembering that i had specified that molesting civilians was not to be allowed.

That was real. Nic Cantin talked about that. Someone quoted it and I read it just yesterday, myself.

So my conspiracy theory is that they had some agreement with "SHROUD Cloth Simulation Engine" to use their tech for that hood idea, but it didn't work for whatever reason (hood is too opaque?). But because of the agreement, they were obligated to keep it active in the engine, so they made it into a smokey haze instead with no option to disable.

I wonder if new players are having those amazing thrills that TG and TMA gave me - of REALLY being Garrett and hiding in absolute fear of Hammers, guards and all the other Thiefy enemies and escaping via rope arrows, mantling and waterways etc.

Personally I'll not bother with this new version of Thief - for two reasons

1. I don't want to as it's just not my 'cup-of-tea'... I have not seen anything in the videos and walkthru's that draw me in.

2. I don't want my previous (and continuing) fun with previous Thiefs and TDM ruined forever with this nu-age teen game concept.

As this new version has nothing to do with the previous games whatsoever, I don't know why they did not give it a new name.

Had they called it another name and developed a new character instead, the game would not have old Thief payers up in arms about not being faithful to the Looking Glass classics.

• Like 1

Thief reboot seems to play like hitman: absolution with all the cool stuff darkened and emo-ified, and strange tributes to the old games including that awkward rope arrow business. I saw in a video today this guy was in a room looting each and every drawer, for a knife, a fork, and a pair of scissors. That didnt bother me, what bothered me was when he went to the dresser and started open the tiny boxes. One had a broadhead arrow. In a tiny box on a dresser?! :P