The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bikerdude

Fan Mission: The Gatehouse by Bikerdude & Goldchocobo (updated 02/11/2014)

yay nifty short mission.

Needs a troll or some such under the bridge. More backstory would be nice. Got stuck on the railing when approaching the mirror puzzle...should have taken the stairs in stead of trying to parkour. The lava puzzle was different, perhaps too different for a Thiefy game. Didn't see a concluding video/voiceover/whatever at the end...not sure if one was supposed to be there yet.

Glad you enjoyed it, as for the puzzles these were all inspired by very similar ones that can ben found in some Thief1/2 missions.

This was quite good. I've been avoiding this because I expected it to be filled with horror elements, zombies, haunts, revenants, what have you. I'm not a fan of getting scared. But this wasn't like that at all, except briefly, with awesome avoidability (is that a word?). This reminded me of the old Thief adventure and puzzle missions and FMs. Great job!

The mirror puzzle was challenging, and in the end I think I got it right with sheer luck. The pressure plates of the floors were totally Thiefy, loved them, though they messed with my health bar more than I would have liked! The same with the descending ceiling. Ouch! The lava pits were a struggle, as I didn't turn on always run, so I kept falling into the lava and reloading. Took me ages until I finally noclipped to the last set of pillars. Bad of me, I know :( The statue puzzles were pretty straightforward IMO, and I had no troubles with them.

My only question is: What happened to everybody? I can only guess the ceremony went awry somehow, and everyone... were struck dead by the Builder's wrath and ended up in the pit?! I couldn't find any readables to explain the missing inquisitor, soldiers, et al. Anyone know the story?

My only question is: What happened to everybody? I can only guess the ceremony went awry somehow, and everyone... were struck dead by the Builder's wrath and ended up in the pit?! I couldn't find any readables to explain the missing inquisitor, soldiers, et al. Anyone know the story?

When I wrote the story, I intended to leave the interpretation of events up to the player. However, in my imagination, that's somewhere along the lines of what happened!

Also, read the incantation book in the cathedral very carefully.

Found this mission innovative, but short. If you combined some treasure seeking it would have been more exciting.

After the lava, when I reached the cavern passage, on the right side, I could lean through the wall. Not sure if anyone picked up this glitch.

A really solid mission all around. Has aged incredibly well with the soft shadow update.

Some help for anyone stuck on the light puzzle!

wlILrpO.jpg

For the answer.

D3
A2
C2
A1
A3
D2
B3

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

I really liked it, great work... this sort of FM is something I'd like to see more of! Proof that a short mission can still be awesome. Also proof that a FM doesn't need lots of enemies to sneak behind in order to be good, the focus on puzzles felt very different but none the less good. The mapping itself was of great quality too especially before the cave area.

Awesome mission! Nice flow, finished with no peeking to solve puzzles.

Liked the visual part much, especially

Spoiler

the bridge in the beginning, hell part and forest in the end.

Also the main character's comments are very well used.

Spoiler

Now I suddenly am not sure but does he recite some prayer when he sees the dead couple killed by the traps? If yes - I think it very vell thought.

Where can I listen to music from the menu? Who's the author?

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.