The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dragofer

Fan Mission: Perilous Refuge by Dragofer (2019/09/10)

Very good FM overall. Simple and elegant mapping, with a bit of intrigue and some nice stuff to find. It's not always often you see a change of scenery in TDM, the pier theme was a nice idea.

• Like 2

A wonderfull mission, full of great atmosphere and cool details! I had a weird bug though: the guy in the room next to Anna tried to open the door when I sneaked by and he got stuck, so I heard a continuous thumping and thought there was a monster behind it, maybe connected to Anna's curse! Luckily while searching Anna's room he somehow got unstuck, but speaking of Anna's curse, if you update the mission maybe you could remove a hand from the chest so it makes more sense?

I also noticed that you made it so that only the lids of all containers were frobable which makes getting loot out of them much easier. Would it be possible to use a def trick or something to make this work with other missions too? Or is the only way to do that for the mission authors to implement it themselves?

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

On the Download Missions page, when you go to your mission's full Description, there are a bunch of <\br> tags. Thought that might be a problem with how your description was written, as I checked a few different missions and didn't see the issue there? I tried to grab a screenshot, but somehow failed. (I think screenshots sometimes capture background TDM menus/pages instead of the active window.) And since I've already downloaded your mission, it's not on the Download Missions page for me anymore. Hopefully you can replicate :)

• Like 1

Thanks Darkness_Falls for the headsup, and @MirceaKitsune and @wesp5 for your generous reviews. No idea how the </br>'s got in there as I don't use them, but that'd be a good opportunity to bring in some fixes for other issues that cropped up after release.

As for the unfrobbable container bodies, they're all atdm:froblock entities so it should be possible to overwrite them with a modified version that changes 'frobable' from '1' to '0'. It's entirely possible, however, that this entity class is used in other ways as well, potentially breaking missions, but looking at i.e. St. Alban's Cathedral it looks like it's used exclusively for container bodies. I've attached that file to this post: remove .txt from the ending, then unzip to your darkmod folder.

modified_lootboxes.zip.txt

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

As for the unfrobbable container bodies, they're all atdm:froblock entities so it should be possible to overwrite them with a modified version that changes 'frobable' from '1' to '0'.

Thanks, I will test this with the next missions I will play!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Thanks Darkness_Falls for the headsup, and @MirceaKitsune and @wesp5 for your generous reviews. No idea how the </br>'s got in there as I don't use them, but that'd be a good opportunity to bring in some fixes for other issues that cropped up after release.

As for the unfrobbable container bodies, they're all atdm:froblock entities so it should be possible to overwrite them with a modified version that changes 'frobable' from '1' to '0'. It's entirely possible, however, that this entity class is used in other ways as well, potentially breaking missions, but looking at i.e. St. Alban's Cathedral it looks like it's used exclusively for container bodies. I've attached that file to this post: remove .txt from the ending, then unzip to your darkmod folder.

modified_lootboxes.zip.txt 2.13 kB · 1 download

The br tags were added by me to the mission page. It works on the website but apparently it is rendering incorrectly in-game.

I think we should fix that on the TDM side rather than living without basic line breaking on the website side and having all mission descriptions

look like a wall-of-text...

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 12/10/2019 at 9:00 PM, nbohr1more said:

I think we should fix that on the TDM side rather than living without basic line breaking on the website side and having all mission descriptions

Why not interpret the description as markdown? The site can convert it to html and the game can, too; but no train smash if it leaves it as is.

• Like 1

Just finished this up and really enjoyed it. 

Spoiler

Took me a long time to make it to the ship as there were so many wonderful places to explore lol. Each area was well done with a look and feel of reality back in the day.  I'm not sure about what the door hanging off the hinge above the shopkeeper led to but I seemed to get everything so maybe just atmosphere? The only negative I found was some of the lanterns seem to give off too bright of a glow but a quick shot with a water arrow took care of that. 

Thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to more. :)

• Like 2