The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

This is not a DR question per se, but a low priority question, of which answer I may or may not use in the future:

Is there an AI spawnarg, which changes the amount of damage the AI does in combat? I'm thinking about melee attack, which deals so much damage that it kills the player/AI's instantly. Would fit for example, a deadly swordsman, who always strikes at their victims hearts with unerring accuracy. You know... Just to keep the player at their toes, as usual. :P

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Depends what you what really. If you just want a floating skull that would be real easy. It would just trol regular ground like all AI, not actually float, so it can't float over a table. But it just need animated above the origin bone (which always marks ground level).

The def files, etc... are a bit harder to get the AI to do what you want. But if you want a flying skull I co di it really fast, just need an obj file of the skull (maybe someone could import the current skull into Blender and export for me. I don't want to instal Blender but maybe I need to anyway)

A regular floating skull hovering at ca. 650 units* above ground would be very good; of course, one that could change altitude and hunt down the player in the most distant recesses would be the bee's knees, but I would be more than happy with the first. Something that resembled the demilich above (maybe using graveyard>bones>skull2.ase as a base, with red pinpoints as eyes), or its spectral equivalent would look perfect. Should we discuss this via PM?

* I suppose adding others at lower altitudes, i.e. 80, 160 or 300 units would not be hard to do once you had a prototype.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

May I ask an improvement question without getting misunderstood? I've tried to search but found nothing...

Is there somehow possible for a shortcut for "copy texture" and "paste texture" in DR? Something to add in a future release of DR perhaps?

I was thinking about selecting a face, copying it, selecting another face, pasting, all with keyboard shortcuts and not have to get up into the menu and copy and then paste/paste normal.

But is it not more to it than that? :o I thought ctrl+c was only appliable to copying brushes/entities (even between maps) and not for faces...The commands I am thinking of doesn't have the shortcut printed after it, in the menu...

(I'm at work right now so I don't remember the exact words...)

You can regular copy/paste from a brush face to a brush face or patch (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) but regular copy from a patch copies the patch itself (since you can't select only a face)

I didn't know about paste to camera, that's gott be great for getting angles (I make an angled brush then copy from it)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Is this possible?

A shader/material that has an additional height map (texture) that disappears as light shines on it.

..That was harder to explain than I have anticipated.

What got me wondering about this is that whole radiosity baking thread. If this material is possible I could make the most detailed radiosity calculation and put it in the textures. Of course, if you move your lantern over a dark spot it will remain dark because it's actually a dark texture. That's why such a material would be interesting, instead of baking everything into a single image, we would only bake the light/shadow information and add to this material.

I think you would need a Shaderparm that is scripted to react to a light interaction?

http://www.doom3worl...8&view=previous

Actually this would be like reverse translucency but you would need a way to distinguish the ambient light from the projected light or else it would always look wrong...

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Ok, this one is bugging me. Hopefully I can narrow this down to the troublesome entity...

When I dmap what I am currently working on, I get a 2+ minute delay during an "Optimize Entity". What are the most common scenarios which cause such a big delay?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

They delay is not directly related to anything. Oftentimes, the doom 3 renderer will simply halt during a dmap. If anything angers dmap, usually it's when it stumbles over scissoring a mishmash of worldspawn brushes or several brushes turned into one func_static.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

They delay is not directly related to anything. Oftentimes, the doom 3 renderer will simply halt during a dmap. If anything angers dmap, usually it's when it stumbles over scissoring a mishmash of worldspawn brushes or several brushes turned into one func_static.

Ok, thanks. I won't stress over the longer dmap times... I'll just go make a sandwich or watch TV :)

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

If you have lots of patches in the mission the DMAP-process will halt on "Putting primitives in areas". My FM Betrayal actually crashed on DMAP because I've added too much patches on the surface level...we're talking about 10 patches with 12x12 vertexes each :) That's hard core...

Ah, that's what the deal was.

Half of The Rift is patches (probably 1,000 of them). And every compile would hang there for quite awhile, probably the longest part of compile time.

But my city map is probably larger on the whole right now, and with the manor pasted in (another 30% size) it still never hung there. (It still has a good deal of patches, maybe a few hundred).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yes, patches that are intersected by visportals get scissored. That scissoring of tiny tiny tris is a little bit complex.

Dmap rarely 'halts'. Even if it looks that way, it's probably still chugging along: the renderer just can't keep up with it.

No, I never get afraid of DMAPping crashing, but the most irritating wait is after the console dissappears and the menu pops up but you cannot do anything! It's probably working on something smart but it's irritating nontheless! :D

That's the AAS calculation stage. In tiny, tiny Doom 3 maps it might have only taken 5 seconds or less, but in NHAT 2/3, it took up to 45 seconds.