The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hello, newbie Dark Radiant user here, and I'd like some advice with a small problem I've been having.

I was following Fidcal's "A to Z Beginner Full Guide", and got up to Page 4 where I tried making a path for a patrolling AI. The problem is the AI doesn't seem to like doors (which I created all the way back in Page 1).

I did a test build where I simply deleted the doors to see if it was a problem with the brush or walkable surfaces, but the AI can move through all patrol routes normally under those conditions. With doors, however, I have a number of problems:

1) When a closed door exists between the AI and the first path_corner it's aimed at, it refuses to start walking.

2) If I open the door manually, the AI starts walking, goes through the open door, closes it, moves to the path_corner, waits, turns around and walks towards path_corner2, opens the door, and just stops.

3) If I open the door manually again behind the AI, it turns around to start walking towards path_corner2, but then just stops.

I tried using "tdm_ai_showdest 1" to see if I could identify any problems, and the AI is obviously heading towards its next target path_corner, but the presence of a door (open or closed) seems to stop it in its tracks. I feel like I might have missed something during door creations that's causing this problem, but I'm not sure what it is...

40 minutes ago, Jnon said:

Hello, newbie Dark Radiant user here, and I'd like some advice with a small problem I've been having.

I was following Fidcal's "A to Z Beginner Full Guide", and got up to Page 4 where I tried making a path for a patrolling AI. The problem is the AI doesn't seem to like doors (which I created all the way back in Page 1).

I did a test build where I simply deleted the doors to see if it was a problem with the brush or walkable surfaces, but the AI can move through all patrol routes normally under those conditions. With doors, however, I have a number of problems:

1) When a closed door exists between the AI and the first path_corner it's aimed at, it refuses to start walking.

2) If I open the door manually, the AI starts walking, goes through the open door, closes it, moves to the path_corner, waits, turns around and walks towards path_corner2, opens the door, and just stops.

3) If I open the door manually again behind the AI, it turns around to start walking towards path_corner2, but then just stops.

I tried using "tdm_ai_showdest 1" to see if I could identify any problems, and the AI is obviously heading towards its next target path_corner, but the presence of a door (open or closed) seems to stop it in its tracks. I feel like I might have missed something during door creations that's causing this problem, but I'm not sure what it is...

Following up on this, I found a fix to the problem by deleting the doors I created and replacing them with Entity doors selected directly from the Dark Radiant Entity list. So it was almost definitely a property of the doors I created, but I'm still curious what that would have been.

Hello TDM crew.

I have a moveable_stool_piano that seems to occasionally fall/clip into the floor when I move it or stand on it.  Quite naturally, this is sporadic and not deliberately repeatable. The floor is a simple worldspawn brush.

What is the technique for preventing movables from falling through the floor?  Or what nuances should I be aware of?

Very much appreciated.

Clint

8 minutes ago, cvlw said:

Hello TDM crew.

I have a moveable_stool_piano that seems to occasionally fall/clip into the floor when I move it or stand on it.  Quite naturally, this is sporadic and not deliberately repeatable. The floor is a simple worldspawn brush.

What is the technique for preventing movables from falling through the floor?  Or what nuances should I be aware of?

Very much appreciated.

Clint

Just raise it off the floor a little bit.  Not sure what the optimal distance is, but I usually do it about 0.5 - 1 unit.  I would say just high enough that you can't tell in-game that it's floating.  However I've still seen stuff fall through the floor even if raised up (although it won't happen as often).

Edited by Frost_Salamander

2 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

Just raise it off the floor a little bit.  Not sure what the optimal distance is, but I usually do it about 0.5 - 1 unit.  .....

Is the idea that movables will then fall to the floor surface at start time rather than starting right on the floor surface? Does that keep it above the surface if it is then moved around by the player?

Just wondering

42 minutes ago, cvlw said:

Is the idea that movables will then fall to the floor surface at start time rather than starting right on the floor surface? Does that keep it above the surface if it is then moved around by the player?

Just wondering

Well, I think I found the likely reason.  The movable was sunk into the floor by a single grid so I bet that is the reason.  Scout's honor that I designed it right at the floor.  Must have accidentally shifted it down during all the keyboard/mouse action.

Thanks.

Clint

Hello again.

I'm almost done with the A-Z beginner tutorial, but I've noticed in some sections of the Dark Radiant wiki they mention an Objectives Editor. It's supposed to be in the Map drop menu, but at least in the v3.8.0 Dark Radiant I have installed (on Linux) there's no Objective Editor to be found.

Most mention of it seems to be at least a couple of years old, but was this Editor removed in the latest version of Dark Radiant? Or is this some strange bug on my end?

5 hours ago, Jnon said:

Hello again.

I'm almost done with the A-Z beginner tutorial, but I've noticed in some sections of the Dark Radiant wiki they mention an Objectives Editor. It's supposed to be in the Map drop menu, but at least in the v3.8.0 Dark Radiant I have installed (on Linux) there's no Objective Editor to be found.

Most mention of it seems to be at least a couple of years old, but was this Editor removed in the latest version of Dark Radiant? Or is this some strange bug on my end?

It's there in v3.8.0 in my Windows version. I've been fighting with it all morning.

Edited by grodenglaive

I'm having trouble getting the AI to complete an objective. It is set to complete when the AI named "lucia" goes to a certain location "EscZone". The AI path corner is in the middle of the location, but nothing happens when she goes there. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EscZone is a big clip brush converted to info_tdm_objective_location. It is the same one I'm using for Mission Complete and it works when the player goes there, so I know it's functioning. 

Screenshot2023-05-02071735.jpg.f1ffbd825adccd3e15dd0bc437c46858.jpg

19 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

I'm having trouble getting the AI to complete an objective. It is set to complete when the AI named "lucia" goes to a certain location "EscZone". The AI path corner is in the middle of the location, but nothing happens when she goes there. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EscZone is a big clip brush converted to info_tdm_objective_location. It is the same one I'm using for Mission Complete and it works when the player goes there, so I know it's functioning. 

Screenshot2023-05-02071735.jpg.f1ffbd825adccd3e15dd0bc437c46858.jpg

Are you sure the entity name of the AI is correct? That's where I always screw up.

19 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

thanks, yes it's correct. I just checked it again. lucia -all lower case.

Is objective_ent set to 1?  Search it out on Objectives in the wiki for best info.
If you have multiple "things" that need to be in the same location, you need separateinfo_tdm_objective_location brushes for each one.  I fell into that trap trying to get started mapping.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cvlw said:

Is objective_ent set to 1?  Search it out on Objectives in the wiki for best info.
If you have multiple "things" that need to be in the same location, you need separateinfo_tdm_objective_location brushes for each one.  I fell into that trap trying to get started mapping.

OH! Thanks I'll check that out.

16 minutes ago, cvlw said:

that did it! objective_ent wasn't set on lucia and I added the separate brush.😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grodenglaive said:

**BOTH** suggestions applied to your situation?   Well hot diggity.

My first official suggestion (not question) on this site and it hammers the exact things you needed!

7 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

It would be interesting to know if only one of those changes fixed it? I'd have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure I never set 'objective_ent' on these (or have tried it and it made no difference).

52 minutes ago, Frost_Salamander said:

... I'm pretty sure I never set 'objective_ent' on these (or have tried it and it made no difference).

true, I didn't need to set objective_ent on a vial I used for another objective; maybe it's just needed for AI?

On 5/2/2023 at 9:04 PM, grodenglaive said:

It's there in v3.8.0 in my Windows version. I've been fighting with it all morning.

Well, this is just bizarre...

I seem to be able to do Objectives manually through Entity creation, but  I'd like to create an "Exit Mission Here" location objective that only triggers when all other objectives are complete and the only guides I can find in the Wiki assume a GUI editor.

3 hours ago, Jnon said:

Well, this is just bizarre...

I seem to be able to do Objectives manually through Entity creation, but  I'd like to create an "Exit Mission Here" location objective that only triggers when all other objectives are complete and the only guides I can find in the Wiki assume a GUI editor.

I assume you got the other objectives in from following the guide, which is missing that step (https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Page_6#Putting_Objectives_in_the_Mission).

Here's a snip from my atdm:target_addobjectives, which shows my final objective (obj10 in my case). Looks like the line obj10_enabling_objs is the key. Hope that helps.

obj10.jpg.7465bb3827d5478a0f47f4c61758d253.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grodenglaive said:

I assume you got the other objectives in from following the guide, which is missing that step (https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Page_6#Putting_Objectives_in_the_Mission).

Here's a snip from my atdm:target_addobjectives, which shows my final objective (obj10 in my case). Looks like the line obj10_enabling_objs is the key. Hope that helps.

obj10.jpg.7465bb3827d5478a0f47f4c61758d253.jpg

That is incredibly helpful, thank you. I'll try it out with this and see how it works.  Good fortune that you ironed out a potential bug in the process.

8 hours ago, Jnon said:

You might also find this wiki page helpful as well: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Objectives_Editor#The_standard_"exit_here_when_you're_done_objective"

Just scroll right on down to the subheading that says "The standard "exit here when you're done objective."  This particular objective can actually be pretty finicky for new and experienced authors alike

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

You might also find this wiki page helpful as well: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Objectives_Editor#The_standard_"exit_here_when_you're_done_objective"

Just scroll right on down to the subheading that says "The standard "exit here when you're done objective."  This particular objective can actually be pretty finicky for new and experienced authors alike

I did read that, but unfortunately it assumes the existence of an Objectives Editor, and for reasons I'm not entirely certain, my installation of DarkRadiant does not have one.