The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

The most likely cause imo is that the objects are further from the map origin, the larger coordinates leading to minor rounding errors.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, joebarnin said:

I converted the brush to a func_static, that seems to resolve the problem. I thought I had already tried that, but I guess not. I'll keep experimenting, but it looks like it might be as simple as that.

This also happens to me regularly when I create cylinders with small diameters. The item from the project below is very close to the world origin.

image.png.e90a33e1ff0eb64f617137bc5c5a22dc.png

Edited by JackFarmer

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

This also happens to me regularly when I create cylinders with small diameters. The item from the project below is very close to the world origin.

image.png.e90a33e1ff0eb64f617137bc5c5a22dc.png

Do you mean the edges on the cylinder?  You can round those out just by fiddling with the Patch Tesselation in the patch inspector:

image.png.d153612087e1a6fdd0e2a3d4db6363a9.png

• Thanks 2

I'm having a bit of trouble getting skins to work. I've got the following in my skins file:

skin eyeball_brown
{
	model "models/darkmod/heir/eyeball.lwo"

"models/darkmod/props/textures/eyeball_blue"    "models/darkmod/props/textures/eyeball_brown"
}

This skin shows up in the skin selector but it does not replace the former texture with the latter. All the files are where they're supposed to be.

What am I doing wrong?

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Are you sure that's the materials' names? Usually materials that use textures from the props folder dont have paths in their names. You can look them up in the DR media browser or in the model chooser for that model.

It doesn't seem to matter what I name the materials. I can remove the path names and call them something more sensible like this:

//   heir.mtr

eyeball
{

diffusemap	textures/darkmod/heir/eyeball_blue

//....
}

eyeball_brown
{

diffusemap	textures/darkmod/heir/eyeball_brown

//.....    
}

And then refer to the materials under those names in the skin file:

// heir.skin

skin eyeball_brown
{
	model models/darkmod/heir/eyeball.lwo

eyeball eyeball_brown
}

but it still refuses to substitute the second material for the first. I can select the skin, but that has no effect. The original material works fine, with the texture showing up correctly. I'm obviously overlooking something but not sure what.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Instead of that try this to see if it works, it does on my end

skins/bathroom/Tube01a_waterclean
{
	model	"models/mapobjects/washroom/bathtub_oldA.lwo"

"textures/common/nodraw"	"textures/water_source/Water_clear"
}

change the stuff for your own model/materials of course :) 

Edited by HMart

7 hours ago, thebigh said:

All the files are where they're supposed to be.

Are all the files and folders lowercase? Probably.

I was wondering something. TDM's core skin files all have "" around file paths, but you don't see this in material files and on the skins wiki it is also not really mentioned as necessary. Whould it matter to include or not include them?

IMO there's some benefits to using "" around paths, one it permits you to put spaces in your paths (thou I don't recommend that at all), second it breaks your paths into easier strings, for the text parser to read/deal with, it also help us visually distinguish what's is what better.

They aren't a rule you can ignore them but imo using them maybe decreases the probably of parsing errors. 

About lower case, I'm not sure but unless you are comparing strings, I don't think the parser itself cares about the case of character in a string. Thou because of portability to linux and other OS's idSoftware recommended, no spaces in folder names and no higher case letters in a path, the engine even has a warning message just for that. But like you see above, even I forget that sometimes, is why I have plenty of warnings about non portable paths in the console! :P  

I ended up deleting and re-creating the problematic prop, and its material and skin entries. As far as I can tell I did everything the same as before, but now it mysteriously works. Well, mostly. The skin viewer in DR still won't preview the new skin, but it works in-game and that's good enough for me.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I'm having an odd issue placing a key in DR. If I place it on a desk, the character can't frob it, but I can put it on top of a cupboard or on the floor and it works fine. I'm not sure what's going on with the desk. I tried two different ones from the prefabs (desk1 and desk 2b) and I still run into the same problem. Strangely, there is a candlestick on the prefab desk and I can pick that up just fine, but not the key.

9 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

I'm having an odd issue placing a key in DR. If I place it on a desk, the character can't frob it, but I can put it on top of a cupboard or on the floor and it works fine. I'm not sure what's going on with the desk. I tried two different ones from the prefabs (desk1 and desk 2b) and I still run into the same problem. Strangely, there is a candlestick on the prefab desk and I can pick that up just fine, but not the key.

Hm...can you export a small selection of the area in question with the "Export selection as map" from DR and post it here?

20 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

hm...works as it should on my end:

https://streamable.com/vttr71

You could try a workaround called "frob-booster" greyman introduced to me a few years back, though I am not sure about the exact steps anymore:

1. Cover the key with a clip box a little larger than the key.

2. Convert the clip box into func_static and give it the property frobable - 1

3. I am not sure about the next step: either bind the key to the clip box or the clip box to the key...and then try again (edit: bind the box to the key)

Edited by JackFarmer

I figured it out! I had deleted a previous desk in that location, but left behind the drawer collision boxes. I had the collision filter on, so I didn't see them (and also they didn't get selected for the test map I exported). 😀

Even though the boxes don't overlap with the position of the key, it was still interfering some how. Anyway, I deleted those and now I can frob the key.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 112855.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeTeEff said:

Is it possible to add more vertexes to a NURBS spline curve? Standard is three, but I would like to litter my like a patch so I can curve it as I want without the need to splice them/glue several together...

If I understand correctly, if you use the v key to enter vertex edit mode this should be possible.

Background:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6167

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)