The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

8 hours ago, datiswous said:

Well could be useful to have spawnargs for this?

Yeah, I agree, it probably would be a good new-feature request for the bugtracker, and likely not too hard to implement.

I wouldn't mind having "side by side" tracking too (one or two more spawnargs), but that's no doubt a bigger bite, and has complications like passing through doors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 11:59 AM, nbohr1more said:

Hey!

Can I claim to be a newbie here?

I am trying to make an improved version of the Ropescroller script that sets a shader parm on the rope texture to make it scroll and fakes movement. I am working with a 3 state elevator rather than the two state elevator that was in "A New Job" ( where my original script was designed ). The elevator position entities only offer call_on_arrive and call_on_leave spawnargs so you cannot distinguish when the middle buttons intend to go up, down, or called to player. I tried adding a frob_action_script spawnarg to the buttons but it just kills the entities. Is there a preferred way to query which button was pressed and pass that to a script variable? As I can tell, the "elevator buttons entities" don't offer any end-point for making such a request?

To close the loop on this, I found this helpful wiki:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Button_Functionality_and_Frob_Triggers

state_change_callback is the missing ingredient ( also, must be a "map" script for some reason )

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have run into a wall. I'm consistently getting the same error when compiling AAS as part of the dmap process: "WARNING: reached outside from entity..." followed by the entity number and name. The issue is that the pointfile generated is going through solid brushwork and the origin of the entity in question isn't in the void. It's always my NPCs and if I delete that one, another random guard will cause it to fail. I'm really not sure what the issue is, these guards were perfectly fine when I dmapped previous versions of this map, only now am I getting this behavior. I checked around the forums to see if anyone had encountered this before but haven't really seen any mention of it. Any thoughts?

38 minutes ago, Ansome said:

I seem to have run into a wall. I'm consistently getting the same error when compiling AAS as part of the dmap process: "WARNING: reached outside from entity..." followed by the entity number and name. The issue is that the pointfile generated is going through solid brushwork and the origin of the entity in question isn't in the void. It's always my NPCs and if I delete that one, another random guard will cause it to fail. I'm really not sure what the issue is, these guards were perfectly fine when I dmapped previous versions of this map, only now am I getting this behavior. I checked around the forums to see if anyone had encountered this before but haven't really seen any mention of it. Any thoughts?

I am pretty sure there is something leaky and several possibilities come to my mind. However, if you want a quick fix, just provide me a link with the WIP and I will have a look and you will get an answer within an hour as I am at home today.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ansome said:

Interesting, I just ran into a similar issue during AAS compile. In my case I had moved the floor up a few units so the AI was spawning with it's feet embedded in the floor.  My error was "Warning: no entities found inside" though.

@Ansome there's almost certainly nothing wrong with the entity itself. dmap is just telling you that the particular entity can 'see' into the void (and it stops at the first one that fails). I suspect that you have moved your 'solid' brushwork a smidgen and it's no longer actually solid.