7949 replies to this topic

#5801 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13905 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Wow, they didn't fool around back then. Love the candle.

#5802 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Like so....

@GW, would you like me to build this for you..?

#5803 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

GW, those shots remind me of classic Thief visual / atmosphere. Agreed with Biker the textures should be added to the core mod.
  • Goldwell likes this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#5804 Atheran

Atheran

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Dammit! If I was at my desktop I'd start working on that toilet you posted right now! :D

Very good job people! Can't wait for them to be released! I like city missions a lot but... That creepy atmosphere of Moonbo...Speechless.

@Obsttorte Man I wish I had your eyes :P Besides the staircase wallpaper from taffsalot I can't see any other missaligned textures

Edited by Atheran, 27 August 2014 - 03:22 PM.

Sometimes I want to scream
So long that life escapes
And then I'd shut my eyes
I'd be the angel of disgrace

#5805 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Panel at the bottom of the corner, right below the candle in the center of the image :P

To be honest, I suck at this. There are people who are much more aware of such things, and who drive me nuts everytime I make a betatest for one of my missions. :ph34r:
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#5806 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2504 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

@GW, would you like me to build this for you..?

Thanks for the offer but for now i'm just going to leave the toilet. I know you guys love to pick stuff apart but when playing the game it doesn't look unnatural/feel unnatural so i'm going to leave it. If I come back to the room later and it feels wrong then, i'll try changing the chair myself and ultimately if that fails then i'll shoot you through a PM with the room so you could play with it yourself. But yeah for now i'm just going to go on working on other rooms :)

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#5807 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37781 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

(I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek...as you say, players won't spend two seconds thinking about it).
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#5808 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

I know you guys love to pick stuff apart but when playing the game it doesn't look unnatural/feel unnatural

Only coz we care and want to see you create the best stuff you can etc, and on that front the bath is some of your best work yet :-)

#5809 Kvorning

Kvorning

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

POPULAR

Okay time for some spoilers!

"What are you working on right now", might not be the right phrase, as I'm currently neck-deep in another project on another engine, which has taken up most my attention the last 3-4 months. I'm afraid that I don't know when I'll be able to find the energy to work with TDM mapping and I said I wouldn't give spoilers until I knew a likely release date, which now is: No clue!

First up: "Ascension"
Spoiler

• Bikerdude, Jesps, HMart and 12 others like this

#5810 Kvorning

Kvorning

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

POPULAR

Next: "Monastery"
Spoiler

Finally: "The Cave"
Spoiler

• Tels, Bikerdude, Melan and 16 others like this

#5811 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9518 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

WOW!!!
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#5812 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

I hear you there, Ancient Dragon. Pretty damn impressive stuff, especially the lighting in the cave. Consider me stoked.

#5813 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2504 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

Holy shit! Those look absolutely incredible!

Wow...

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#5814 Vae

Vae

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Here's a bathroom that I spent building and detailing for the past couple of days.

Beautiful work, Goldwell...I can't wait to be there...:)

Okay time for some spoilers!

Very nice, Kvorning...Dark and grey, with an ominous feel.

#5815 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

Awesome, Mista.

But you know, once you add some lights to the cathredal performance will be a kick in the ass :P

EDIT: Can you export the cathredal as a model and tell us what the tris/vert count is like? Just corious.
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.

#5816 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the offer but for now i'm just going to leave the toilet. I know you guys love to pick stuff apart but when playing the game it doesn't look unnatural/feel unnatural so i'm going to leave it. If I come back to the room later and it feels wrong then, i'll try changing the chair myself and ultimately if that fails then i'll shoot you through a PM with the room so you could play with it yourself. But yeah for now i'm just going to go on working on other rooms :)

Yes, most players ''won't give a shit'', pardon the pun. :-D I couldn't resist LOL
  • Goldwell likes this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#5817 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

pardon the pun

no

Edited by Airship Ballet, 28 August 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#5818 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

First up: "Ascension"

To use that much over used but quite appropriate phrase, Oh... My... God, is this in the TDM anymore, its that good! need some better falling water sound now though :-)

Next: "Monastery"

To use another similarly much used used but quite appropriate phrase, Oh... dear...lord... Its like the cathedral from my Stac mission but on steroids - extremely impressive. A small crit, you need to turn the self shadows of on the base's of the columns, or create a better shadow mesh for them

Finally: "The Cave"

The scale just knocked me for six... had to pick my jaw backup...

#5819 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Biker nailed it to the point. No more comments allowed ;)

#5820 Kvorning

Kvorning

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

@Obsttorte
Don't know how to export/view the tris count, but the draw count is about 3400 from the void and it's still running +60 FPS. Having good hardware definitely helps with that point. And yeah, there's definitely a challenge when having to add more than ambient light and inconsistency to the environment, without hitting the software limitations. Careful planning and good use of non-dynamic lights is a must, for that size room. I think its worth taking a note out of the "Thief" playbook, as that game has -amazing- static lightning.

On the upside, I haven't added visportals yet to the arches, so on that point it's looking positive for further building.

@Bikerdude
I really like the stock sounds from TDM when it comes to water, but some HQ custom sounds for the scene would not be a bad idea!

Deathblade2014666xxXxx is doing the textures, so far the only custom ones we've used are the beige stones you see in the Cathedral. They would probably be improved in a polish phase later on, as the shadows does "skip" around the surface as it is now.

Btw it should be noted, that there's no external models used, it's all primitive patches and brushes, made into func_statics. The result is a higher load time, but the performance is excellent. The downside to this, is any change to an FS requires me to replace every similar FS, rather than just "reimport object". I've also been very careful about having verts line up, to avoid shimmering on surfaces, which seems to also have eased the strain on the engine as well.

That last part might be wishful thinking, but worth pursuing when building for the sake of good order and compatibility.

#5821 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Btw it should be noted, that there's no external models used, it's all primitive patches and brushes, made into func_statics. The result is a higher load time, but the performance is excellent.

You could improve the perf a little bit more by converting all the identical FS to .ASE models.

#5822 Kvorning

Kvorning

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

If it means more performance, then it's definitely a thing to do when/if I continue work on it :)

#5823 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

If it means more performance, then it's definitely a thing to do when/if I continue work on it

If you need any help, drop me a PM.

#5824 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

Don't know how to export/view the tris count,

Select everything and use the DR ASE exporter. Reload the models and you will see your exported model in the model browser (if you have exported it either to the models folder in the darkmod folder or in your fms folder. The latter works if you set the fms path in the preferences).

In the model browser you can see the tris/vert count by selecting the model. It's shown in the lower left below the model list.

Compartmentalizing the cathredal and using low poly lod models for distant views may be a good way of dealing with performance here. n addition, the lod system can be used to toggle the shadowcasting on distant objects.

I think the most important thing to consider is that if you place lights, they should not overlap each other. In addition there is something else that may prove useful. http://wiki.thedarkm..._Falloff_Images It's quite some work and I didn't tried that myself yet, but may be useful to create good looking lighting.

#5825 Kvorning

Kvorning

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

@Bikerdude
Thanks man, will do!

@Obsttorte
Took about 2 hours for DR to convert it into 671mb .ase and looked like it was either gonna take as long just to inspect it or it had crashed while trying, so I shut it down. :P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users