• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#701 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

I'm actually very curious if you could code something like this into the Dark Mod.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#702 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

The video perfectly demonstrates the absurdity of the concept of boss monsters or bullet sponges. The player repeatedly sinks his combat knife's blade into the neck of the boss. The boss monster does not get weaker, change behaviour, show any sign of reaction to what is expected to be an instantly lethal wound.

It's like an unintended scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Surely you could make TDM AI almost invincible and modify alertness handling so it calms back to "business as usual" level after a ridiculously small amount of time. But the real question is: Why?

#703 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

I assume, this boss is made nigh invincible with an incredible amount of hitpoints and the player is supoosed to run from him (as seen in the last minute of the video). The video seems to me more like a demosntration of "you can actually kill that bastard". I don't think that the programmer had in mind that the player backstabs the boss for 15 minutes. Or at least I hope that this was not the intention ;)

#704 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

The video perfectly demonstrates the absurdity of the concept of boss monsters or bullet sponges. The player repeatedly sinks his combat knife's blade into the neck of the boss. The boss monster does not get weaker, change behaviour, show any sign of reaction to what is expected to be an instantly lethal wound.

Surely you could make TDM AI almost invincible and modify alertness handling so it calms back to "business as usual" level after a ridiculously small amount of time. But the real question is: Why?

This reminds me of GTA San Andreas. On the last mission, I managed to sprint up to the boss of the game and blast him with an RPG before he got in the car and the end-chase ensued. Imagine my surprise when he and his car shrugged it off! Well hey, if the game is allowed to cheat, then so am I!

• Anderson likes this

#705 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:34 PM

Oh yeah, it sucks, but I'm curious because if we pulled it off it could easily lead into more adaptive forms of boss AI.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#706 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

Oh yeah, it sucks, but I'm curious because if we pulled it off it could easily lead into more adaptive forms of boss AI.

TDM AI already seems to be better than the AI in the videos when it comes to search behaviour. Patrols are completely "scripted" though (with some optional randomization). Fighting already works pretty well.

Pathfinding could be improved (keep seeing AI bumping into eachother and having problems opening doors especially in older missions).

And the concept of boss fights in general do not seem to fit into the stealth genre. They where what everyone hated about Deus Ex Human Revolution.

#707 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

This reminds me of GTA San Andreas. On the last mission, I managed to sprint up to the boss of the game and blast him with an RPG before he got in the car and the end-chase ensued. Imagine my surprise when he and his car shrugged it off! Well hey, if the game is allowed to cheat, then so am I!

Plot armor

https://youtu.be/p82bwF63ckI?t=2m36s

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#708 Spooks

Spooks

• PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes!

#709 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

That's one n00b scammer who got thoroughly pwn'd.

EDIT: And don't ever do what this guy did. Average people could get sent to the slammer for the rest of their natural life for deploying malware like in the video. Governments and corporations seem to be a different story, though, as one makes the laws, and the other is generally above the laws.

Example: https://motherboard....ord-malware-drm

Edited by kano, 07 June 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#710 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

Thief sound at 5:04. :)

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

#711 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

• Spooks likes this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

#712 Aosys

Aosys

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

I didn't think printers could make me any more frustrated, but here we are...

#713 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

Only in America!

#714 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

I didn't think printers could make me any more frustrated, but here we are...

Get one of those printers that use ink tanks. (like Epson Ecotank)

Printer is more expensive, but it comes with loads of ink, and new ink is many times cheaper than a cartridge solution, as you get MUCH more volume and there are no anti-features in the ink, since it is just a dumb plastic bottle.

Edited by kano, 05 July 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#715 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:49 PM

Probably the coolest game intro ever. (This thing shipped on a floppy disk, no fancy CD or DVD with unlimited space in comparison).

• Anderson likes this

#716 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5382 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:09 AM

I'm loving this video. It's a modern take on the Game of Life computer sim, just now much higher resolution, with a lot more complex rules, with even more interesting things happening like mathematical ecosystems & evolution happening. And it's just cool to watch.

• Anderson likes this
Posted Image

#717 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:16 PM

#718 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users