The Dark Mod Forums

Captain Knighton Camera Ride

Sotha

Yeah a replay feature where you can switch the camera to the different ai heads is a good idea like Diego said. But I wonder how the game would be able to track the players movement and actions then :o

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

This isnt just making me think that FBA in TDM would be cool, but if we ever found a way to add "game modes" in TDM, playing as the opposition with a smart thief bot going around the level doing objectives would be pretty cool.

There was a mission for Thief 2 that had these. It was called "A Guard called Benny" if I remember it right. They had black jacking, stealing and hiding enemy thiefs which was a lot of fun! I have no idea how to do this for TDM but it would be so awesome :D

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

There was a mission for Thief 2 that had these. It was called "A Guard called Benny" if I remember it right. They had black jacking, stealing and hiding enemy thiefs which was a lot of fun! I have no idea how to do this for TDM but it would be so awesome :D

It could probably be done with some coding magic.

Also, now that I have Thief 2, im going to have to try out that mission once I finish playing through the series's storyline.

It could probably be done with some coding magic.

Also, now that I have Thief 2, im going to have to try out that mission once I finish playing through the series's storyline.

"Now that I have Thief 2"?!?! "Now that I have Thief 2"!! ...you are in for a treat. Maybe not in the graphical arena but in the classical story telling sense. This is one of the best FPS games ever made to this date.

This is great! It has a real cinematic quality too, I was anxious to know what would happen next.

It even made me feel positive about some kind of limited body awareness in TDM.

I never understood what is so immersive about being some floating object without legs or a shadow but with arms sticking out, it's like you're not really there. Weren't the thoughts against body awareness not rather based on nostalgia because T1&2 didn't have it and T3 did it poorly?

If some of the reactions could be turned off (looking for a thief for one, disabling barks at some places in order to output custom voice acting), it could be used as a cool epilogue of sorts, a reckoning from the heist where the owner is dismayed/wrathful maybe even with some choice and consequence for campaigns (for instance, finds a body -> organize a search of the surroundings -> escape mission).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching this video makes me wish TDM had some sort of Thives vs Guards multiplayer (although not as fast paced as Thievery UT), where you get to play from the other sides perspective. I don't know how it would work though...

At the very least, this would be brilliant for a trailer or a cutscene.... AI walking along on his patrol, talks to the other guards on his travels... see's a light go out or a door ajar... goes to investigate all creepily.. then get's blackjacked out of the blue.. last thing he sees is a thief standing over him and a fade to black as he goes unconscious :)

-Scope

Weren't the thoughts against body awareness not rather based on nostalgia because T1&2 didn't have it and T3 did it poorly?

Nope, it was because it opens up a whole can of worms in terms of how to make it work well. It's one thing to strap the camera to a model and call it a day, but do you stop there...or do you start going down the T3 and T4 route of contextual animations?

• 1 year later...

Did anyone say it would be nice to have multiplayer in TDM? Look, there certainly is multiplayer in Doom3, right? You just modify it a little and woohoo!

Well, say there are two teams, guards and thieves. One or more thieves and as many guards as map author may want.

Thieves become invisible when in distance from an observer and\or under darkness cover; they lose their invisibility on light or when they're critically close to an observer. Their invisibility may be contiguous... Erm, dunno if I speak correctly... They may be half-transparent, or almost transparent, or totally transparent. Or totally opaque according to circumstances (light, distance etc).

It's not too hard, eh?

Stop taffering there, criminal taffer!

As much as we appreciate feedback, suggestions and criticism, as much do we hate statements like these.

Boy, if it would be that simple we would already have done it ;) Think about it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

(This is what happens when you just modify it a little and start a server.)

Nope. This is what happens when you modify it a little too little. You have to modify it littlier. That is, more little. I mean, little, but more, and just a bit more!

Boy, if it would be that simple we would already have done it ;) Think about it.

I'm too lazy to think about it, 'cause if I would start thinking, maybe I would start trying, that is, trying to do some s**t out of modifying something a little... and I'm too lazy to do it. So, nah. I'll better play the game... and maybe wait... It's great. You all are superb developers. Keep on.

I think what he is trying to express is that the way you present your opinion here becomes very tiresome after a while.

While it is fine to say what you think, you may should think more about how you said it, as your formulations have the potential to upset people.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter