Photo

Fan Mission: Volta and the Stone by Kingsal (05/26/2016)

volta

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

Secrets

Has anyone found more than 3 secrets ? Also, there were places that I thought for sure would register as a secret but didn't. 

Great mission.

#102 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Secrets

Has anyone found more than 3 secrets ? Also, there were places that I thought for sure would register as a secret but didn't. 

Great mission.

Its been a while, but I think there are only 3 secrets in the mission. I agree, there should definitely be more. 

• Anderson likes this

#103 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7460 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

Hello KingSal, I'm a bit late to the party but this mission is absolutely top-notch work. Played it a few days ago, took my time. I LOVE the atmosphere, I LOVE the architecture and I LOVE the story. Started Volta II but right at the beginning, and already it is a step up in quality versus this. Top job good Sir!

• Bikerdude, chakkman and Spooks like this

#104 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

The new version is coming along steadily but slowly as real life obligations are soaking up a lot of my time.  Its turned into quite a project. Its the same mission, but with revised architecture, all new vocals, and quite a few new areas to explore. ;) The next mission is still the primary focus. Here are a few in progress shots of  volta v2:

I'll be putting off a video of the mission if this is still incoming.

Care for balance critique?

Spoiler

Absolutely in love with the mission, did an absolute 0 stealth score full loot run for future routing before I noticed you would be uploading an updated version and I can't say I regret it in the least.

Edited by V-Man339, 28 May 2018 - 11:08 PM.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#105 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:56 AM

The EFX settings with OpenAL works great on my potato laptop! Congratulations!

Will give more feedback as I can bring my settings to normality and play properly with more time.

Thus far, with all candor this is a promising FM.

Edited by Anderson, 03 June 2018 - 04:57 AM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#106 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

I'll be putting off a video of the mission if this is still incoming.

Care for balance critique?

Absolutely in love with the mission, did an absolute 0 stealth score full loot run for future routing before I noticed you would be uploading an updated version and I can't say I regret it in the least.

Hey thanks!

Unfortunately, I will not be releasing the "redux" version as planned. It became a pretty big project with new areas and lots of re-work. After a bunch of consideration, it just makes more sense to put that effort into Volta III  :D. It wasn't all lost work though, as some parts will be folded into the new mission(s).

However, I am working on a 2.06 update to Volta: The Stone (the new campaign name of this mission) with minor bug fixes, new vocals, and a new high res version of the intro. 

Thanks for playing and for your patience!

-Kingsal

Edited by kingsal, 04 June 2018 - 07:48 PM.

• Bikerdude, Judith, Anderson and 1 other like this

#107 Jesps

Jesps

FM Creator

• PipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

This was a very enjoyable mission to play.

Gameplay was enjoyable. Good patrol routes, and shadows. It was perhaps a bit on the easy side, but for someone like me who is out of practice as far as TDM goes it was just what I needed.

Spoiler

The story was enjoyable, and it is always nice to listen in on npc conversations.

Spoiler

Visually the mission is very high class. The architecture, while a bit blocky reminded me of Thief, in a good way.
Light and shadow where very well done. I especially liked the reflection of light in the water.
It did feel a bit strange the way that the light level changed when entering some rooms. This could have been more subtle imo.

The audio was very high class and I especially liked the ambient sounds. This also felt very Thief like.

Overall, this mission is very high up in the list of best missions for me. And there is no doubt which mission will be the next one I play: Volta II.

P.s. The name of the mission keeps reminding me of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoLTE

• Anderson likes this

#108 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

Another place where we can get stuck is right at the entrance to the closed grate that precedes the pumping unit in the start of the game. If it is closed and getting into it while crouched - there can be a risk to be blocked.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

#109 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

Another place where we can get stuck is right at the entrance to the closed grate that precedes the pumping unit in the start of the game. If it is closed and getting into it while crouched - there can be a risk to be blocked.

I'm not sure what area you are referring to. Are you talking about the pump house in cauldron?

• Anderson likes this

#110 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure what area you are referring to. Are you talking about the pump house in cauldron?

Sorry. My mistake. 

Yes, the pump house in Volta II - Caudron of the Gods.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: volta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users