Photo

Fan Mission: The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs by Goldwell (2017/11/08)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#51 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

I ended up restoring to a restore point just before the wretched latest automatic update.For now I've set my updates to metered so Windows can't just do it.
That has put my computer and DarkMod right.I'll let them diwnload again when they correct the issue.
Now I know why I mostly use my tablet these days, but I do need the ancient desktop for odd things.
Sorry Goldwell to hijack your thread for a Windows rant , last post on the subject.And I'm really enjoying the updated mission by the way!

#52 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Loved this mission. It has this sort of perfect balance of exploration/ stealth/ story and lots of great detailing and audio work.  I'm super excited to see where the campaign goes from here!

• Bikerdude and Goldwell like this

#53 unfairlight

unfairlight

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

I liked it, but I think it was too easy and wasn't as detailed as TA2. Way too few guards (I think I remember 8 across the entire mission,) small interiors and little light which makes guards way too easy to avoid and knock out. A few missed opportunities too with no rope arrows to climb up the streets for side loot. The mission was basically just a 1 hour long breeze and I didn't really ever get lost since the map design was pretty simple.

#54 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

This mission was so good! You are quickly becoming my favorite mapper, and I'm taking a lot of inspiration from you on my own map. Being able to explore other areas of the map not directly related to the story is brilliant and the eye candy of the streets was right up my alley, if you'll pardon the pun! The only thing that could make it better in my opinion would be a few more readables to add backbone to the setting and atmosphere.

I'm also a bit confused about the name of our protagonist. Is this the same Corbin as in A Score to Settle & A Reputation to Uphold? If so, where in the time line do the missions fit?

I only had one bug.

Spoiler

Eagerly awaiting AC3!!!

• Epifire likes this

#55 Taquito.

Taquito.

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

Wow Goldwell, this mission is a home run to me! Really enjoyed it. :D  The attention to detail is pretty high with overall great lighting, sound, music and gameplay. The combination of lighting and sound made it a very immersive experience. You really covered all the bases and you can tell  this was a well thought work. What I find most interesting is that compared to other missions, this was one of the most lineal, kind of on rails but at the same time it didn't feel like it was. Makes me think that sometimes lineal, with more events and game play elements in it fits quite well in TDM. So it was a refreshing change.

My one and only complaint is the level of lighting in the sewers is not at the level of the rest of the map. The light fixtures are too dim. I play with my brightness level low so I notice those details more often and it was basically pitch black so it gave the impression of being the rushed area.

Overall great mission which covers all bases pretty well with excellent, sound, music, lighting and gameplay. I only found 2 secrets tho.  :angry: 

#56 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's great to see people are enjoying this.

In regards to the sewer lighting my intention was just to keep it really dark down there as there is no natural light, and I wanted to capture the vibe of a dirty dimly lit sewer area which is why it's pretty much pitch black down there. Maybe I overdid it though :)

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#57 Outlooker

Outlooker

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:21 AM

An exceptionally good mission in my opinion.

The rain theme was wonderfully executed, I got the feeling that I am really in  a rainy environment sneaking around, protected by lower acoustic and visual detectability; this provided a believable degree of cover, comfort, coziness - hard to put my feelings into words here, but it was a good experience.

I especially enjoyed the transparent and often accessible windows, and took the outside atmosphere in through them; I stood still behind such a window for a minute or so just to view out and listen to the rain outside;

a very successful creation of ambience, very skillful.

There are many more great things to say about this mission, for example the many details and believable, immersive environment - but it speaks best about itself, so just play this mission.

I had a great time with this, thank you very much.

• sittingduck71, Goldwell and Anderson like this
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato
"When outmatched... cheat." Batman

#58 sittingduck71

sittingduck71

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:57 AM

Thank you so much for this great mission!  It was great to return to The Metal Age for an hour!  Hot and cold running atmosphere, very immersive. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

#59 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:04 AM

Thank you so much for this great mission!  It was great to return to The Metal Age for an hour!  Hot and cold running atmosphere, very immersive. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thank you for the kind words :) Thief 2 is a huge inspiration on a lot of my missions so that's really cool to see it's influence get noticed.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• sittingduck71 likes this

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#60 Ryan101

Ryan101

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

This is a good, solid FM; had a satisfyingly "classic" vibe that i very much enjoyed. Great work!

#61 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1124 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:48 AM

A few graphical issues from 2.06 beta testing  :unsure:

1. The doctor's chair turned absolutely black in 2.06, see issue.

2. The face sculpture on the wall (in Lord Vicker's garden) has some issue with lighting (in 2.05 too): when I come close with lantern on, it is still mostly black. Perhaps normals are wrong.

Spoiler

#62 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:34 AM

A few graphical issues from 2.06 beta testing  :unsure:

1. The doctor's chair turned absolutely black in 2.06, see issue.

2. The face sculpture on the wall (in Lord Vicker's garden) has some issue with lighting (in 2.05 too): when I come close with lantern on, it is still mostly black. Perhaps normals are wrong.

Spoiler

1. I tested out just the chair on it's own in 2.06 and it works fine. So there is probably an issue a material file I used that is messing with the texture. I'll have to patch that out.

2. That must be another material file issue, another one I will have to patch out.

Thanks for this!

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#63 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:46 AM

5 / 6 Secrets

I had to go to this thread to find the missing secret, which I couldn't access without ending the mission. I thought I might be able to drop an objective item so I could go back, but I guess that's not an option. So unless there IS a toggle or something that lets me drop the necklace, for example, I either play the mission over again for completions sake, or just let it be. I choose the latter. Also, shouldn't the secret tally be a part of the stats ?

#64 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

5 / 6 Secrets

I had to go to this thread to find the missing secret, which I couldn't access without ending the mission. I thought I might be able to drop an objective item so I could go back, but I guess that's not an option. So unless there IS a toggle or something that lets me drop the necklace, for example, I either play the mission over again for completions sake, or just let it be. I choose the latter. Also, shouldn't the secret tally be a part of the stats ?

Good job on finding the secrets! Yes the sewer secret needs to be collected before you complete the other objectives as there is a trigger_once that moves into place over the sewers to end the mission once you're done.

Re: the secret tally, I would love to show them in the stats screen but the dark mod doesn't support that natively at the moment. I'm sure someone talented in the ways of gui scripting could work it out though, would be a nice feature to have!

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#65 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1124 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:13 AM

Re: the secret tally, I would love to show them in the stats screen but the dark mod doesn't support that natively at the moment. I'm sure someone talented in the ways of gui scripting could work it out though, would be a nice feature to have!

Yes, it is definitely missing in the Accountant missions.

On the other hand, all or almost all the other missions do not have anything like "secrets".

I suppose that there were plenty of discussions about [counting secrets] vs [not counting secrets] in TDM, maybe even starting from before the very first public release  :mellow:

Perhaps you should revive some old discussion or create a new one (after 2.06 is released). If there is a way which suits well, then it would turn into feature request  :D

#66 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

Yes, it is definitely missing in the Accountant missions.

On the other hand, all or almost all the other missions do not have anything like "secrets".

I suppose that there were plenty of discussions about [counting secrets] vs [not counting secrets] in TDM, maybe even starting from before the very first public release  :mellow:

Perhaps you should revive some old discussion or create a new one (after 2.06 is released). If there is a way which suits well, then it would turn into feature request  :D

I'm a big fan of secrets. I guess you can get around it by placing it IN the objectives ( find all 6 secrets ).

I'm new at Dark Mod, so this is the first mission I've come across that had them. Instead of criticizing the lack of a Secret Tally at the end though, I should thank Goldwell for injecting them into gameplay in the first place, AND to acknowledge the pop up window that reveals how many there are to find ( you have found 1 of 6 secrets), which Thief 2 never did during gameplay (it told you that you found a secret, but not how many there were).

All of this is minor. This mission in particular ( I loved the electrified floor and the "obvious" solution) and Dark Mod in general is great fun. 

#67 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

I just finished this mission, and it rather left me with a bit mixed feelings, to be honest.

Spoiler

So, overall, i'd rather give it an average rating. Surely not a bad mission, but, i've played better ones already. Not meaning to knock it, just my honest impression of it.

#68 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

I just finished this mission, and it rather left me with a bit mixed feelings, to be honest.

Spoiler

So, overall, i'd rather give it an average rating. Surely not a bad mission, but, i've played better ones already. Not meaning to knock it, just my honest impression of it.

Concerning the mansion however there are actually two ways in

Spoiler

In regards to the difficulty, my main goal was to keep this a relatively light affair. This part of town is lightly guarded as the guards looking for you were elsewhere so it was relatively simple to slip in and slip out. I thought I did keep a restroom in the home but I must have forgotten about it sorry haha :)

And as for the inventors tower

Spoiler

Thanks for playing and thanks for your feedback!

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#69 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:28 PM

Concerning the mansion however there are actually two ways in

Spoiler

Spoiler

And thanks for listening and replying, even though it's not all positive feedback, it's really not meant in a bad way. :) Looking forward to playing your other missions too!

#70 demilich666

demilich666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

I just finished this and managed to totally miss the

Spoiler
somehow.  Went back to try and find them and still can't - are they possible to find after you've completed the main objective?

#71 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

I just finished this and managed to totally miss the

Spoiler
somehow.  Went back to try and find them and still can't - are they possible to find after you've completed the main objective?

Yes they are.

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#72 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37450 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

I suppose that there were plenty of discussions about [counting secrets] vs [not counting secrets] in TDM, maybe even starting from before the very first public release

Actually I don't recall any discussions about this.  I don't think we decided NOT to do it...it simply didn't come up.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#73 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

Finished this up today and have to say I really liked this mission.

Spoiler
Thanks for all your hard work, always appreciated!

• Goldwell likes this

#74 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

Finished this up today and have to say I really liked this mission.

Spoiler
Thanks for all your hard work, always appreciated!

Re: the inventors tower, that was an objective on expert. It shouldn't have ticked off on the other difficulty but I guess it did so that's why that happened.

I also am a huge fan of rainy missions and love the details and immersion that rain offers. I try and take a lot of care with my ambients and sound effects so it's good to know it has paid off!

Thanks for playing. And thanks for the kind words :)
  • Thiefette likes this

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#75 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:34 AM

I have updated The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs to version 1.1, this update is now live in the ingame menu downloader. The main change is that now it requires 2.06 or newer and I've upgraded the briefing video from ROQ to MP4, there are some minor bug fixes too.

A full list of bug fixes can be found below, but there are some spoilers in there so I recommend only viewing them if you've finished the mission.

Spoiler

• chakkman likes this

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users