The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Sweet. But just for the record, that red brick texture you used on the entrance hall exists with two normalmaps (material is called red_brick_dull02) and I think the other one would fit better in this case... But well, that's just a question of taste! ;)

Thanks:),Might try it.. And by that: the wiki says shift+f should bring up something that replaces textures.. Is that outdated? it does not seem to work or i dont use it correctly.Any info on that?

Edited by _Atti_

Showing a little progress in my FM, well a lot more happened on the insides but i want to keep things for sake of suprise.

very nice architecture, but -

- the oil lamp needs to be changed to an external type

- the shadows should be turned on for the light above the doorway (as the light is passing straight through the brickwork)

Otherwise a very pretty looking map..

lights will surely be adjusted also because of ais coming to picture but now its just so i can see while testing:)

And thanks Fidcal, the texture replacement worked.

Wiki mentions it here, but that hotkey does not work for me.

Tried that brick with that other normalmap but i didnt like it.

Edited by _Atti_

Almost all Dark Radiant features can be allotted to any hot key you want so likely Dram had that set at the time. That article is ancient and really wants deleting. Anyway, I've modified it slightly so it's harmless.

Oh yeah! The stand torches are either straight from or very close to those in BOD.

Cell key... hm. Just tell me you're not rebuilding Tabriz (Sargon's gorgeous start level).

(Then again, maybe tell me you are, because I'll probably never finish what I've started. Also, this is a different "something" from the one I mentioned above).

post-58-127470949559_thumb.jpgpost-58-127455331918_thumb.jpg

Nice catch. Seems like you know bod well. It's really epic game that's why you found out too easly just by stand torch I believe! But I'm not building Tabriz lol. I love bod and always want to see it in a modern engine. So that I'm rebuilding it's maps. Not a carbon copy, but partially some mementos from it and even maybe some same small places. And about the cell key, it's the key that you can escape from the cell. I think it's similiar with Tabriz somehow. I can't stop myself copying it :)

Just by looking your pic's thumbnail, I can say it has the atmosphere. Because there are fences and shadows! That's what I'm trying to do now. You know there was sneaking in bod, you can really get close to your enemy w/o noticed, and the only missing thing was the blackjack :)

What is this "Tabriz" and "Bod" you are talking about? I am missing something here.

Also, is that second shot showing the updated visuals J.C.Denton is working on, or just regular Doom3 lighting? It is beautiful!

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Blade of Darkness is one of the very few games I've ever played from beginning to end more than once (4 full times so far and I'm itching to reinstall, now that I see it has a bunch of mods). The only others I can think of that I wanted to replay enough were Ultima Underworld and System Shock 2. Island of Karum from BOD is another I was hoping to build, but I'll probably never get back to it (only blocked out the start area up to inside the wall, years ago).

Edit: @Melan: Blade is an older (2001 I think?) gory melee slash up of simply epic proportions (if I do say so :wub: ) by now defunct Rebel Act Studios (of Spain -- who better to build castles?). It's better on today's faster machines, as it was ahead of its time for sure (realtime light and shadow, physics, pretty complex combat of blocking, combos, dismemberment, decals). Definitely worth checking out if that at all sounds interesting. And oh, the level design... everything is so solid and believable and larger than life. That's the impression I always took away from it -- that these places could be real and felt so strong and old and made you feel so small. A lot of creepy stuff in the game too; I love the design. Perhaps it's somewhat dated by today's standards but back then and even now IMO it's some of the best.

Tabriz is the start level for the knight character, after his army is taken and he's imprisoned and must escape.

TDM/BOD trivia: some of Dave Gurrea's (artist from Rebel Act) textures are in TDM (...with his blessing).

Edit: since I'm synced up to SVN, that must be an older version of the new lighting.

Edit: you can see some limited footage (mostly combat shots, not much for sight seeing) on youtube of BoD.

SneaksieDave: thanks for the info! The game looks surprisingly good for its age by the screenshots. Alas, since I wasn't so good at the superb Die by the Sword either, I will probably pass. :)

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@SneaksieDave: You know, back in the days the visual quality had stunned me too. BUT: I totally hated the movement controls (I remember that I couldn't get a simple side-step to work), AND: the player characters moved as it they had just shi... filled their pants. As much as I liked the technology, but that was too much for me. There were other games at the time that allowed for much more graceful movement.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

TDM/BOD trivia: some of Dave Gurrea's (artist from Rebel Act) textures are in TDM (...with his blessing).

yeah I'm aware of that. Even in saint lucia assets, some stone textures such as rough_big_blocks are from his works. I found it out while I was asking him for permission to use them in Doom 3 modding. That was really surprise for me.

@7upMan: Yup, that's the main problem with the game IMO, the jerky mouse movement (seems a bit smoother on today's faster machines for whatever reason). Sidestepping was implemented in community patch that I have laying around somewhere (I hope, because I don't want to play without it).

Can't wait to see what community mappers have made with the editor. I hear the Fugitive series of maps is great.

@7upMan:  Yup, that's the main problem with the game IMO, the jerky mouse movement (seems a bit smoother on today's faster machines for whatever reason).  Sidestepping was implemented in community patch that I have laying around somewhere (I hope, because I don't want to play without it).

Is the movement fixed, that is, do the player characters (iirc it was four of them, Barbarian, Dwarf, some girl and... a hunter?) move more graceful now, or does this still remain unfixed?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I believe it was said that sampling rate for the controls was poor, making them jerky and spazzy, due to the high demand on the system, so in general I think it is better on today's faster machines. Better framerate always "feels better" anyway, so it helps. Mouse turning in general was not implemented well, and could benefit from some smoothing or dampening or something. Aside from the sidestep mod I use, character movement itself wasn't changed.

/BoD derail!

Made great progress with Alchemist today. Practically finished the mansion. Need a few more readables, loot, finish off objectives, briefing, title screen - then I think within days I might be able to test play an early alpha from start to finish. So it looks on course for a June release still.

• Like 1

Looking forward to it.

I'm so slow at building. Just finished the first main section, six more left to go.

I will need to figure out models real soon because I have handfuls of banisters that need making. So far I've just got placeholders.

sc1k.jpg