The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I am confused about 'trigger_multiple' and 'func_activator'. I read a couple posts at doom3world which indicated that a 'func_activator', bound to a moving entity, would activate a 'trigger_multiple' to trigger its target(s) when it touches it. This does not seem to happen for me.

I can trigger the 'trigger_multiple' manually in the game console and it properly triggers its target (makes chain disappear and reappear). But the 'func_activator' does not seem to activate the trigger when touching/passing through the trigger_multiple.

What I gathered from the posts and from the 'func_activator' description was that it would activate any trigger it touches. I obviously am misunderstanding something.

Edit:

I think I got it solved.

Somehow the posts I was reading forgot to mention 'anyTouch'. I added that and saw it trigger about 4 times over 2 seconds (default of 0.5 seconds wait... makes sense).

Edit:

Solved :)

That did the trick. Now all I have to do is assign about 4 or 5 trigger_multiple to the various sections of chain and activators for each trigger... spaced properly and with proper timings. Woohoo!

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

you need to make the touch flag on the trigger to true for entites other than the player, I think its set to false at its default setting.

Yeah I got it working properly :)

I did 'anyTouch' '1' and 'noClient' '1'

The triggers are out of reach anyway unless noclip is used.

I got all of the triggers, chain links and activators set up... now to test the timing and position of everything.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

KaiserJohan: This relates to animation and def_attach but I can't find any info on the wiki. I think it has to be pre-defined and I don't know of one for picking up a lantern. Just attaching to an AI who is distant or out of sight sounds simple but I don't know of any way in game unless it is pre-defined.

I'd be looking for a 'bodge' and bind a func_static lantern and light as in this example:

"bind" "parapet_archer1"

"bindOrientated" "1"

"bindToJoint" "LeftHand"

"hide" "0"

Same for the light but no need for bindOriented or hide 0. You just position them manually. No wait, look in the Heart map as I think you have to guess where the hand will be by trial and error.

From your script you have hide/unhide the lamp and turn the light on and off. I believe both would be done just by activate in the script.

Not very good close up - maybe you could include some other animation like reaching for the sword.

Another way, depending on the situation, is you might leave him carrying a visible lantern all the time and just turn the light on and off. Lack of animation would not then be so noticeable. But then there is the complexity of the lamp skin which would either look lit or unlit all the time. There are light entities, for instance an oil lamp, that can be turned on and off by the player and the lamp looks lit/unlit but I am unsure that can be turned on and off by activate.

Trying to trigger a vis-portal closed. (Don't REALLY need to but... why not).

Once I go around a certian corner nothing beyond it can be seen, closing it by distance doesn't really work because it's basically closed when I get that far away anyway.

Just not having luck finding how to trigger in DR. (checkin wiki and whatnot... but not finding answer)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Not sure what the problem is but basically you create a func_portal and place it so it cuts the visportal face and give it eg, portal_dist 500 (where 500 is the distance in units beyond which the visportal closes even if in sight.)

If you're unsure or want an example (you can easily remove the static, but I prefer them for a little bit of "what if" situations, it uses a cubemap, but could just as well be a normal material/black/not there)

Example Map

When you walk into the hall the cubemap should hide and the portal should be unsealed. You could do the same with a brush.

Adjusting the func_portal's spawnargs changes the distance and check period - check period should be quite high, 1 is fine, lower if you are using the portals around sudden corners, but higher is better for performance. The patch/brush that is to be hidden has to be a func_static and should have "hide = 0", else it will not work as expected.

No, I need to trigger it.

Basically I have a T section, each side of T goes further down a street.

A gate is at one end of top of T, straight across at 1024 units is the visportal. So I can't close it before 1024 units (I got that working).

But when I go down the bottom of the T I am around a corner and only 300 units from visportal. I can't see beyond there and it's large so I want it to close. But by the time I got 1024 units another closes it/opens/closes... It's at one of those spots that can't be portaled better but depending on where player stands a large area is open or closed.

So I want to trigger the close right around that corner.

I used a trigger_once and it works perfect. ONCE.

But trigger multiple just makes it open/close when I'm standing in trigger.

Seems we don't have a trigger that just sends an on/off when the player walks through it.

Basically I need a trigger_once, that only sends one message once EACH time a palyer touches. Not just once ONLY.

How do you create a custom rope? The premade ones are too short, I need one about 800 units, the longest is 400 units.

I tried making a brush, giving it rope texture and made it a rope entity, but it just bugged and became a smaller rope which you cant rezise.

Otherwise is there a way to flawlessly connect two ropes? right now you have to 'jump' to start climbing the other rope if I put them into each other.

baddcog: It is possible to have a volume that sends one trigger when entered and one trigger when exited using two invisible control objectives. If you have finished Heart of Lone Salvation or don't mind a spoiler then look at

the end of the sewer where the Heart is destroyed.

Otherwise I can explain it.

You would have to make your own md5mesh model. What do you need a 800-unit-long rope for anyway, if I could ask?

Because its a looooooong way down ^_^

IIRc there's a texture which makes ladders climbable, isn't there something for ropes?

also, about scrolling GUI text:

http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/guis.php explains some of the GUI coding.

According to the article, this code should scroll the text 100 units. I cannot get it to work, however. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

windowDef parchment

{

rect 25,180,640,480

nocursor 1

matcolor 0,0,0,0

windowDef message

{

rect 0,0,200,200

visible 1

text ""

forecolor 1,1,0.9,0

textscale 0.35

textalign 1 // 0 - left, 1 - center

font "fonts/stone"

nocursor 1

}

windowDef open

{

onTime 0

{

transition rect "25,180,640,480" "40,180,640,480" "2000" ; // scroll 15 units over 2 seconds

if ( "gui::msg_lines" == 2 )

{

transition "message::rect" "0, 0, 185, 1000" "10, 59, 185, 1000" "1"

}

if ( "gui::msg_lines" == 3 )

{

transition "message::rect" "0, 0, 185, 1000" "10, 52, 185, 1000" "1"

}

if ( "gui::msg_lines" == 4 )

{

transition "message::rect" "0, 0, 185, 1000" "10, 45, 185, 1000" "1"

}

if ( "gui::msg_lines" == 5 )

{

transition "message::rect" "0, 0, 185, 1000" "10, 38, 185, 1000" "1"

}

if ( "gui::msg_lines" == 6 )

{

transition "message::rect" "0, 0, 185, 1000" "10, 31, 185, 1000" "1";

}

if ( "gui::msg_lines" == 7 )

{

transition "message::rect" "0, 0, 185, 1000" "10, 24, 185, 1000" "1"

}

set "message::text" "gui::msg_text";

transition "message::forecolor" "1 1 0.9 0" "1 1 0.9 0.5" "4000";

}

}

// called when the time is over

onNamedEvent doFadeOut

{

transition "message::forecolor" "1 1 0.9 0.5" "1 1 0.9 0" "4000";

}

}

Edited by KaiserJohan

baddcog: It is possible to have a volume that sends one trigger when entered and one trigger when exited using two invisible control objectives. If you have finished Heart of Lone Salvation or don't mind a spoiler then look at

the end of the sewer where the Heart is destroyed.

Otherwise I can explain it.

thanks, I went with the distance check for now. It works OK, but seems like just a trigger to turn on/off would be better than a constant check (I have it at 3 seconds so it's not too bad... But still, does it continue to check the entire playtime, even when it's in a closed portal area?

An 'objective trigger' might be a better solution performance wise. Though the volume would have to be pretty large to keep the portal closed when inside it, it could open on the far side and would already be closed then... I might look into that but I need to finish playing Heart before I go poking around and spoil it ;)

With the objective trigger you can set how often to test if the player is there so it need only test once a second. Anyway, if and when you need it then I can explain.

IIRc there's a texture which makes ladders climbable, isn't there something for ropes?

It's in the next update. It's still ladder texture. The only difference is the sound when you climb.

I'm beginning to tear my hair on this one:

I am trying to add a custom ambient to my level. I've done this in my map with other custom ambient but in this case, the damn thing refuses to play! I have added a atdm:location_settings with snd_BLABLABLA - Filename and added a info_location with the property ambient - snd_BLABLABLA

I've tested with standard ambient-"music" included in the mod and my own custom-"music" and it works. But not with this particular file!

All the sounds are in D:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\sound\ambient\ambience and as I said, if I just change the property to play another built in ambient, or even any one of my other, own custom ambients it works. So it has nothing to do with bad visportalization or lack of info_separators...

I have also tried to restart the game/DR and even the computer with no luck!

It's hard to help me on this one since there is absolutely NO difference between the working and noworking ambients...I'm just adding this post it in case someone has had the same problem; That certain custom ambients just refuses to work!

SOLVED______

This occured after I began to collect all the neccessary files to include in the pk4-file and I believe I have left old proc, aas32-files and such in my Doom-folder that conflicted...I have now gotten rid of these and the sound works better...

I believe I can save my hair for another hair ripping day :)

Edited by Fieldmedic

No, general alerting sounds are not available. I understand there is a door spawnarg which works if the door is left open but guards cannot tell if it was another guard who opened the door so not very practical.

hmm, that kills the mood. thanks anyway.

Edited by SiyahParsomen

I'm not sure what .proc stands for. Processed file? It's one of the output files from the compilation dmap process. The .cm file is, I believe, the collision mesh data for the whole map, just like a model has a collision mesh. The .aas files are for the area awareness system, which tells the AI where they can go and how to pathfind around.

Yeah, I know... but the kind of person who actually says "rat's ass" always says... "could". Anyway I fixed it for ya. ;)

ETA:

Anyway part 2: I can't find any .rats; who's got rats!?

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696