The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

It looks like you're right. I can't find any code for it.

I was about to offer to pick that one up -- a quick enough fix -- except that it's not at all clear what the intended behaviour was.

• Remove the item from the game?
  • Drop it at the player's feet?
  • In the case of stackables, remove 1 item or all of them?

And the editor tip mentions objectives, which have their own management system. They're not inventory items.

• Like 1

I was about to offer to pick that one up -- a quick enough fix -- except that it's not at all clear what the intended behaviour was.

• Remove the item from the game?
  • Drop it at the player's feet?
  • In the case of stackables, remove 1 item or all of them?

And the editor tip mentions objectives, which have their own management system. They're not inventory items.

You could have a spawnarg "droptofloor" or something similar and if its set to 1 the item drops to the floor, if its set to 0 (default) it deletes it entirely out of the game. To solve the issue of stackables also use a spawnarg "quantitytoremove" or something similar and once again the player can set how many get removed when the entity is triggered.. I would say by default set it to 1 and yeah.

And thank you to everyone who helped with the script ideas :) you guys are always so helpful!

Edited by Goldwell

Oh and for future reference (if someone is searching through these threads) here is the working way to remove the key with scripts

void key_remove()
{
$player1.replaceInvItem ($KEYNAME, $null_entity);
$player1.getNextInvItem();
} 

Simply replace "KEYNAME" with your keyname and its good to go.

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

I recommend adding another line in that script to flip to the next inventory item. This is because sometimes the icon of the removed item will stay showing up on the inventory if you don't do this.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I recommend adding another line in that script to flip to the next inventory item. This is because sometimes the icon of the removed item will stay showing up on the inventory if you don't do this.

Good idea and done!

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to these forums and to the Dark Radiant world in general. I've been spending the past few months working (slowly) on a map and learning how DR works. I know this question has been answered in this thread before but for the life of me I still can't figure it out how to do it. Can someone give me a step by step on how to make moon lit windows like these:

Thanks!

I have a video briefing, that works just fine. When it ends, I get to the objectives screen as I should.

However, if I skip the briefing with esc, I go to the text-only briefing screen (an empty parchment). Same thing if I go back from the objectives screen.

Does anyone know how to fix this, i.e. esc goes directly to the objectives screen and back starts the video briefing from start.

Thanks!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Question: Can't AI open doors inherently, or do you have to add a spawnarg for them to do that? I thought it was automatic.

Basing this on the wiki: you either have to give them a key or set a spawnarg on the ai, "can_unlock1" "<doorname>"

I've not tried it, but I'm sure you'll be able to specify more doors using "can_unlock2", "can_unlock3" etc.

Giving them a key won't work. can_unlock will do the trick. can_unlock2 etc. will also work if you want the ai to be able to lock/unlock several doors.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I have a script

void trowel_dig()
{
sys.println("trying to find trowel");
	if ($player1.getCurInvItemName() = "trowel")
	{
  sys.println("trowel is there!");
	}
}

But when I activate the script it seems to print both console lines "searching for trowel" and "trowel is there" but it shouldn't because I have yet to pickup the trowel.

Basically i'm trying to make a script that does the following:

Is the trowel in the players inventory and currently highlighted?

yes = activate trigger

no = nothing happens

Edited by Goldwell

Hm, that really should work. This is the code I use to do something similar:

if ($player1.getCurInvItemName() == "Holy Symbol")

{

$player1.callGui($player1.getInventoryOverlay(), "onInvPositiveFeedback"); //show's the "used object" green highlight.

$convo.activate($player1); //trigger the "convo" entity.

sys.wait(3); //this is to stop the player from repeatedly frobbing the object successfully.

}

else

{

startSound("snd_fail", SND_CHANNEL_ITEM, false); //triggers the fail sound defined in the spawnarg.

}

}

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Instead of this:

if ($player1.getCurInvItemName() = "trowel")

try this, with two equal signs:

if ($player1.getCurInvItemName() == "trowel")

Ah that was the problem! Thank you :)

Also thanks for the help too Moonbo!

Yeah, an assignment (one = ) always returns true.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Grayman said

"Yes, they open doors automatically.

Do you have an example where they don't? "

Well, one of my testers had a guard chase him behind a stable door, player escaped, but the guard stood behind the unlocked door doing nothing? Had to restart.

Maybe just a glitch. Just wondered if I needed to add a spawnarg on the guard AI. Didn't think so.

Thanks

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Another question: Can you NOT turn off a steambot? I thought a water arrow would work, but it didn't. I might have to remove it if it can't be disabled. Can you put a switch on it? To turn off?

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Another question: Can you NOT turn off a steambot? I thought a water arrow would work, but it didn't. I might have to remove it if it can't be disabled. Can you put a switch on it? To turn off?

Traditionally you can kill them with swords or fire.

• Like 1