The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingsal

TDM security cameras

Hello everyone, I've been thinking about messing around with the new security cameras and had a few questions that people might have answers too. I know these are a WIP feature.

- Currently, the camera stops in place once it locates the player. Is it possible to append the script to have it follow the player's movement (similar to the t2 cameras)? I'd want to be able to set its max "follow" speed as well.

- Is there a way to adjust its visual acuity similar to the AI?

Obviously I'd want to do this stuff without messing the the source so it would have to be appended to the object script.

It would be wonderful to hack those things in if possible.

Thanks!

Follow the player: No.

Acuity adjustment: No.

You could add these feature requests to issue #4731.

I would prefer this implemented as spawnargs rather than scripts for performance sake.

Cool. It would be great if they have the function to follow the player to create that tense moment of escaping its view. Otherwise it will alert and the player can just take half a step out of its view and avoid having to get away.

Thanks for the info. I'll add a note in the bugtracker.

Edited by kingsal

I don't know what features we already have but I would also like to see some kind of alarm indicator (LED-like on the camera body)

• green - no detection
  • yellow - camera suspicious, follows player movementt (?)
  • red - triggers alarm (give player a second or two to put it out with a fire arrow?)

That would be great!

If I remember correctly in T2 the spot light color changes?

So the camera could have something like: searching_color, detected_color, and alarm_color spawnargs available to authors. This could effect the spot light and also the light textures on the model. Bonus if it can also change color on any effects like a lens flare glow attached to it.

In regards to following the player, is it not possible to make a change to this script? http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14394-apples-and-peaches-obsttortes-mapping-and-scripting-thread/page-16?do=findComment&comment=396357

The script for that looks like this:

object statue_look
{
	void init();
	void loopLook();
	vector viewDir;
	vector direction;
	float cosine;
	float tolerance;
};
void statue_look::init()
{
	thread loopLook();
}
void statue_look::loopLook()
{
	while(1)
	{
		if (distanceTo($player1)<1024)
		{
			viewDir=sys.angToForward($player1.getViewAngles());
			direction=getOrigin()-$player1.getOrigin();
			cosine=viewDir*direction/sys.vecLength(direction);
			direction_z=0;
			if (cosine<sys.cos($player1.getFov()/2+30))
			{
				setAngles(sys.VecToAngles(-direction)+'0 90 0');
			}
		}
		sys.waitFrame();
	}

}

If you remove the "if (cosine<sys.cos($player1.getFov()/2+30))" bit and it's associated brackets those statues now follow the player (it does bring up some smoothing problems but that's another thing).

Couldn't you trigger that in the security camera script so that if it spots the player it will activate that follow the player script for a duration until the player has been out of sight for X amount of seconds?

I don't know what features we already have but I would also like to see some kind of alarm indicator (LED-like on the camera body)

• green - no detection
  • yellow - camera suspicious, follows player movementt (?)
  • red - triggers alarm (give player a second or two to put it out with a fire arrow?)

I think this has code support already: I haven't confirmed it works but you can see a shaderparm being updated in idSecurityCamera::SetAlertMode(). It needs a material on the camera model to use that shaderparm though, and as far as I know neither the current (Biker's?) model nor Epifire's new one has that, probably because it isn't a documented feature.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying