#1 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

POPULAR

09cINel.jpg

Story:

This evening I found an unsettling letter on my windowsill. It was addressed to me from someone calling himself 'Nick'. Apparently he has dirt on me, but he's willing to cut a deal. Sounds like blackmail to me, but it seems like he's got me by the ornaments.

I'm supposed to meet his contact over on the other side of the district to get further instructions. The night is growing colder by the minute, and it's snowing heavily. I had better get going so I can get back and crawl under the sheets to bundle up tonight...

Build Time:

About 50-70 hours, including everything, from pre-planning to beta testing.

Thanks to Springheel for the creation of the handy and pretty module sets, and to Bikerdude for several prefabs repurposed from other missions.
Thanks to my beta testers; Cambridge Spy, joebarnin, duzenko and s.urfer!

Additional thanks to the Freesound users justkiddink, Zbylut, bilwiss and mhtaylor67 for the holiday themed sounds and music found throughout the mission.

Download:

Available in the in-game downloader, or at any of these below locations:

Dropbox

Taaki.za.net

Fidcal.com

Southquarter.com

Gallery:

1348.jpg

2601.jpg

3783.jpg

4754.jpg

5739.jpg

6656.jpg

7865.jpg

Hints, Tips, Walkthroughs, Spoilers(!):

Spoiler

Disclaimers, Player Information.

Spoiler

Thank you for playing, and a Merry Christmas to all! What did you think of the mission? I look forward to your honest feedback!

Edited by Bienie, 24 December 2018 - 03:57 PM.

• Bikerdude, Jesps, SiyahParsomen and 13 others like this

#2 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12802 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

Congratulations!

• HMart and Bienie like this

#3 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37594 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

Congrats, but something is definitely off with that snow particle...is that a core asset?

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#4 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

Congrats, but something is definitely off with that snow particle...is that a core asset?

Thanks. Yeah the snow particles in TDM aren't the most beautiful but they do the job. It's the standard one you find under darkmod/weather/snow. Honestly it looks a lot worse in still frames than it does moving, but it always has that slightly weird square edge around it.

#5 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37594 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:30 PM

It looks like it isn't pure black around the edges like it should be.  I'll take a look.

• Bienie likes this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#6 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

Congrats and look forward to playing! MUST wrap gifts first!  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

• Bienie likes this

#7 Cambridge Spy

Cambridge Spy

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:44 PM

Okay, good mission, glad you added some new things, however I now cannot cover this Fan Mission - why did you change the font of the thief's correspondence to the very font which oversaturates causing the note to be a bit illegible? I'm sorry, but as much as I'd have loved to cover this today, I just simply can't, I have standards to abide by.

Spoiler

• Bienie likes this
"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

#8 peispud

peispud

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

It's great to see another mission. Thank you and Merry Christmas. :-)

• Bienie likes this

#9 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:26 AM

Helllo Bienie,

Thank you for this Christman mission. Downloaded and started playing it last night.

JF

P.S. Ah, that's how you create blank lines in button-animated briefing. I was already about to ask in the Newbie thread how to do that. :)

Edited by JackFarmer, 25 December 2018 - 04:26 AM.

• Bienie likes this

#10 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:18 AM

Okay, good mission, glad you added some new things, however I now cannot cover this Fan Mission - why did you change the font of the thief's correspondence to the very font which oversaturates causing the note to be a bit illegible? I'm sorry, but as much as I'd have loved to cover this today, I just simply can't, I have standards to abide by.

Spoiler

Oversaturate? Do you mean that the font doesn't transfer well to video? I could change that font and send you a separate .pk4 if you wish. Would be nice to see you cover this mission :) I changed it because it was the very same font as Nick is using and I don't want to give the impression that he's the author :P

• Anderson likes this

#11 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:29 AM

Hi Bienie,

Thank you for this awesome little Christmas-themed mission. 

"...got me by the ornaments" & "Flying Taffer Spotted!" LOL

I found 1179 loot and 2 out of 3 good deeds. 

Two things you should be aware of...

Spoiler

I liked the snow effect and the Christmas lights, music boxes etc. 

Nice job :)

• Bienie likes this

#12 Cambridge Spy

Cambridge Spy

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:33 AM

Oversaturate? Do you mean that the font doesn't transfer well to video? I could change that font and send you a separate .pk4 if you wish. Would be nice to see you cover this mission :) I changed it because it was the very same font as Nick is using and I don't want to give the impression that he's the author :P

I think I should wait until 2.07 is released in its final form and see if that issue is fixed. Although it really is a nitpick, like I said I have standards to abide by. Besides, I ended up being really busy this Christmas, having officially received Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and the Switch version of Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

• Bienie likes this
"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

#13 Heuli

Heuli

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

Hi Bienie Thanks for the christmas themed mission

a verry nice Mission for christmas :rolleyes:

• Bienie likes this

#14 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:37 PM

Enjoyed the mission on 2.07 beta and would santa again.

The snow is pretty on the current beta and i like the interactive machinery.
Had to turn off EFX effects though because they cause way too much echo on player and AI footsteps.

Spoiler

Edited by Abusimplea, 25 December 2018 - 10:38 PM.

• Bienie likes this

#15 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the festive mission. :smile: I found a possible source of the chimney visportal weirdness: brush 36 isn't fully aligned with brush 177. If you find them using Map -> Find brush... and look from inside the chimney, you can find a thin caulk line, and it's possible to see through into another (lit) room when playing.

• Bienie likes this

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#16 manzanita-crow

manzanita-crow

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:54 AM

Thank you for the lovely Christmas present. I enjoyed the story as well as the mission

• Bienie likes this

#17 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:46 PM

Thank you for the lovely Christmas mission, I enjoyed it :)

Spoiler

Thank you for all your hard work and look forward to more missions from you.

• Bienie likes this

#18 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

Sorry for the delayed replies.

Hi Bienie,

Thank you for this awesome little Christmas-themed mission. 

"...got me by the ornaments" & "Flying Taffer Spotted!" LOL

I found 1179 loot and 2 out of 3 good deeds. 

Two things you should be aware of...

Spoiler

I liked the snow effect and the Christmas lights, music boxes etc. 

Nice job :)

I see you caught on to my attempts at holiday themed humor ^^. May I ask which good deeds you did find? Any of the secrets? Glad you enjoyed the mission and Christmas theme!

Spoiler

Enjoyed the mission on 2.07 beta and would santa again.

The snow is pretty on the current beta and i like the interactive machinery.
Had to turn off EFX effects though because they cause way too much echo on player and AI footsteps.

Spoiler

Glad you enjoyed my little electronic thingamabob! That's odd about the EFX. Has it been like that on other missions for you as well? Wondering if it might be a 2.07 thing, because there is only supposed to be a lot of echo in the tunnel area.

Thanks for the festive mission. :smile: I found a possible source of the chimney visportal weirdness: brush 36 isn't fully aligned with brush 177. If you find them using Map -> Find brush... and look from inside the chimney, you can find a thin caulk line, and it's possible to see through into another (lit) room when playing.

Thanks for playing! I did actually find that little misalignment during playtesting but completely forgot to fix it :mellow: Was a bit rushed trying to get the mission released before Christmas day. Mental note to self; any seasonally-sensitive missions need to be given more time than you could imagine them needing before release! Luckily I think the visportal issues were solved by changing the mission ceiling to portal_sky which I had somehow completely overlooked.

Thank you for the lovely Christmas mission, I enjoyed it :)

Spoiler

Thank you for all your hard work and look forward to more missions from you.

Thank you for the in depth review, and I'm glad you got into the Christmas spirit!

Spoiler

• Thiefette, Anderson and VanishedOne like this

#19 Sneaker

Sneaker

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:21 PM

Very much enjoyed this Christmas themed mission.  Thanks!

Spoiler

• Bienie likes this

#20 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

Absolutely loved this mission! Fantastic work!

Edited by Amadeus, 03 January 2019 - 11:51 AM.

• Bienie likes this

#21 Dyger

Dyger

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

Very much enjoyed this Christmas themed mission.  Thanks!

Spoiler

This is why I needed much time to find out

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

#22 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1467 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

Congratulations on your release. Will play it in a bit :D

[Edit]

Nice mission. I just finished it, and it was a lot of fun. Nicely detailed, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I did find

a couple of problems. The first time I found Farley, he wouldn't talk to me, and I never got the instructions.

In that same load, picking the guy with the safes door, I was interupted by a guard, and the door couldn't

be picked again after that, so I had to reload. That fixed both problems. 

Nice small, mission. Thanks heaps. :D

Edited by NeonsStyle, 07 January 2019 - 10:45 AM.

• Bienie likes this

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#23 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

Congratulations on your release. Will play it in a bit :D

[Edit]

Nice mission. I just finished it, and it was a lot of fun. Nicely detailed, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I did find

a couple of problems. The first time I found Farley, he wouldn't talk to me, and I never got the instructions.

In that same load, picking the guy with the safes door, I was interupted by a guard, and the door couldn't

be picked again after that, so I had to reload. That fixed both problems. 

Nice small, mission. Thanks heaps. :D

Glad you enjoyed!
That's an odd bug with the door to Wade's place, and the conversation not triggering is kind of weird as well. I would think that you triggered it but didn't hear it, but in that case you would have had the objective pop up at random after he finished talking.

#24 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1467 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

Glad you enjoyed!
That's an odd bug with the door to Wade's place, and the conversation not triggering is kind of weird as well. I would think that you triggered it but didn't hear it, but in that case you would have had the objective pop up at random after he finished talking.

The objective popped up, but since I didn't have the readable, I had no idea how to do it, or what had to be done. Reload fixed it. I might've jumped off

the awning into the conversation trigger, that might've done it. The lock though was wierd. Not seen that before. Either way, nice mission. :)

• Bienie likes this

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users