Photo

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

8718 replies to this topic

#8701 joebarnin

joebarnin

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

One idea: open your <mission>.map file in a text editor (e.g., notepad). Search for "atdm:map_of" and see if there is more than one entity of that type. That will at least confirm that there is only one map_of entity.

I remember having to make my lute player stone deaf and blind as a bat in my first mission to pull it off haha.

I'm now beta testing my newest mission, and we've run into a bug where the player spawns with two area maps. One called "map" and the one that I have defined in the game with an "atdm:map_of" entity. Does anybody know what the issue could be? I've looked through my entity list and it doesn't appear that I have two map_of entities in the editor. It's also not an item that can be bought in the store. I'm completely stumped on this one, even though it does sound kind of familiar like I had the same or similar problem with my first map. -_-

• Bienie likes this

#8702 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:23 PM

One idea: open your <mission>.map file in a text editor (e.g., notepad). Search for "atdm:map_of" and see if there is more than one entity of that type. That will at least confirm that there is only one map_of entity.

That's a nifty trick! I was just thinking to myself earlier that's it's a shame that the entity list only shows things by name and isn't sortable by classname.

Unfortunately however, I did a search and confirmed that there is indeed only one atdm:map_of entity in my map. Where should I look next? Could it be a problem in some definition file or something?

#8703 joebarnin

joebarnin

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

I don't know what's causing this. In similar situations, when I'm desperate, what I usually do is search all of the mission text files for the string in question. For example, use Textpad, Find in Files feature, search for "map", include subfolders, files with these extensions: *.vfp *.skin *.map *.pfb *.mtr *.def *.script *.gui *.xd. You'll get a bunch of hits but maybe one will explain what is going on? 

#8704 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

I don't know what's causing this. In similar situations, when I'm desperate, what I usually do is search all of the mission text files for the string in question. For example, use Textpad, Find in Files feature, search for "map", include subfolders, files with these extensions: *.vfp *.skin *.map *.pfb *.mtr *.def *.script *.gui *.xd. You'll get a bunch of hits but maybe one will explain what is going on? 

I actually found the problem now, just browsing through the files. Turns out the startmap pack that I always use to get the basics in my map comes with a custom definition to add the map into the game and calls it "map", whereas my atdm:map_of has a customized name, the conflict must have caused TDM to create two separate maps. Thanks for the help!

#8705 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:02 PM

I want to use a skybox with a moon in my next mission, and since artificial lights will be sparse I wanted to actually have it cast light onto the map. This is not something I've played with before and I couldn't find any solid information on the wiki about it. Can somebody point me in the right direction or give me the step-by-step please?

#8706 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

If you aren't just using a blue-tinted ambient light for it, I'm guessing a parallel light is what you're after. (Or maybe multiple ones in practice, since they're reputed to have trouble with light volumes' covering multiple visleafs (visleaves?). An ambient cubic light might also suit moonlight but I don't know whether anyone's tried...) This may be of interest, though: http://forums.thedar...amic-moonlight/

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#8707 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

If you aren't just using a blue-tinted ambient light for it, I'm guessing a parallel light is what you're after. (Or maybe multiple ones in practice, since they're reputed to have trouble with light volumes' covering multiple visleafs (visleaves?). An ambient cubic light might also suit moonlight but I don't know whether anyone's tried...) This may be of interest, though: http://forums.thedar...amic-moonlight/

Thanks! It seems the parallel light was what I was looking for. It remains to be seen if I run in to other problems once I properly VP my area, but for now it seems to do the trick!

#8708 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:14 AM

What would be the easiest way to modify the candle flame particle to make it a different color instead of the natural orangey-yellow? I was hoping to have some spooky, supernatural lights in my mission. Is there an easy way to do this? Ex. change a few lines in a definition or similar?

#8709 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12934 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

What would be the easiest way to modify the candle flame particle to make it a different color instead of the natural orangey-yellow? I was hoping to have some spooky, supernatural lights in my mission. Is there an easy way to do this? Ex. change a few lines in a definition or similar?

Put this spawnarg on the candle:

"set _color on flame" "0.89 0.06 0.13"

• Bienie likes this

#8710 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

Put this spawnarg on the candle:

"set _color on flame" "0.89 0.06 0.13"

That worked to change the color of the light, but the flame itself is still yellow-ish which makes it look goofy. The flame itself needs to change color. I feel like that isn't as easy as changing a spawnarg, but I may be mistaken.

#8711 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:40 AM

It sounds as though you'll need to make a customised version of the flame particles. If you don't want to affect every instance in the FM, you can copy the existing flame particle set-up in DR's particle editor, save the custom one under a new name, and then I think it's the model spawnarg you'd set on the flame to use the custom particles. Edit: model_lit, joebarnin is right.

If you're lucky, just changing the particles' RGB in the particle editor will be enough (see the tdm_fire_torch_* family for examples) and you won't need custom textures. Or you could check Use Entity Colour, which I think should let _color work on the particles.

Edited by VanishedOne, 19 May 2019 - 11:02 AM.

• Bienie likes this

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#8712 joebarnin

joebarnin

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

I'm doing something similar in my mission. What I found is that you have to create a new particle definition. Let's say you want to make a green candle flame (based on light_candleflame). First, in your custom def file, define:

entitydef light_candleflame_green
{
"inherit" "light_candleflame"

"model_lit" "tdm_fire_candle_glare_green.prt"
"_color" "0.10 0.8 0.1"
}

_color will make the light that is cast green. The "model_lit" is the key to making the flame itself a different color. It needs to point to a new particle definition (the default is "tdm_fire_candle_glare.prt", which is yellow-orange). You can use the Particle Editor in DR (Entity > Particle Editor) to clone tdm_fire_candle_glare to tdm_fire_candle_glare_green (you'll need to create a custom .prt file). Then you can modify each of the Stages of the new particle (the Shader tab lets you mess with the color). You probably want to Toggle Visibility of the stages to see each one individually.

Hope this helps.

• Bienie likes this

#8713 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

It sounds as though you'll need to make a customised version of the flame particles. If you don't want to affect every instance in the FM, you can copy the existing flame particle set-up in DR's particle editor, save the custom one under a new name, and then I think it's the model spawnarg you'd set on the flame to use the custom particles. Edit: model_lit, joebarnin is right.

If you're lucky, just changing the particles' RGB in the particle editor will be enough (see the tdm_fire_torch_* family for examples) and you won't need custom textures. Or you could check Use Entity Colour, which I think should let _color work on the particles.

I'm doing something similar in my mission. What I found is that you have to create a new particle definition. Let's say you want to make a green candle flame (based on light_candleflame). First, in your custom def file, define:

entitydef light_candleflame_green
{
"inherit" "light_candleflame"

"model_lit" "tdm_fire_candle_glare_green.prt"
"_color" "0.10 0.8 0.1"
}

_color will make the light that is cast green. The "model_lit" is the key to making the flame itself a different color. It needs to point to a new particle definition (the default is "tdm_fire_candle_glare.prt", which is yellow-orange). You can use the Particle Editor in DR (Entity > Particle Editor) to clone tdm_fire_candle_glare to tdm_fire_candle_glare_green (you'll need to create a custom .prt file). Then you can modify each of the Stages of the new particle (the Shader tab lets you mess with the color). You probably want to Toggle Visibility of the stages to see each one individually.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! Now I've learned a bit about the particle editor! :) Got it working just the way I wanted it after tweaking the color on each stage separately a bit. Would be handy to have an actual color slider in there though, as it comes down to a bit of trial and error as it is now, unless you are fluent in decimal RGB haha

6fr0qu.jpg

Edited by Bienie, 19 May 2019 - 05:34 PM.

#8714 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1701 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:43 AM

Would be handy to have an actual color slider in there though, as it comes down to a bit of trial and error as it is now, unless you are fluent in decimal RGB haha

You can use any picture editing software (even paint) for that. They should all be able to give you the RGB values of colours you set with a slider. I think it would still be a bit of trial and error (as the colour will most likely look different on the particle), but it may help.

#8715 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37781 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

You can create a light, use the light colour selector to get the colour you want, and then just copy the color values to your candle.

• peter_spy and HMart like this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#8716 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

There's also a little cool free color picker called colorCop, for me that is a time saver and it can pick colors from anywhere. 

#8717 joebarnin

joebarnin

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

Not sure where to best to post this, but here's a recent experience with dmap causing a crash. I was working on a map, and all of a sudden, dmap started crashing (TDM vaporized, no error dialog or anything). I turned on qconsole.log (seta logFile "2" in darkmod.cfg), and the last entry in the qconsole.log was:

[Store AAS]

This made me think it had something to do with pathfinding/AAS. Luckily I had a backup version of my map from a few hours earlier. I compared the two, and one of the big changes in the 'bad' map was that I added a bunch of Monster Clips (which of course affects AAS). Though a tedious process of elimination, I determined that one specific Monster Clip was causing the crash. I have no idea why; it was more-or-less identical to several others in the same area (each surrounding a bench in row of benches). I remembered reading something about this, so I made the brush one unit larger in each direction, and the crash went away. Go figure.

Anyway, just thought I put this out there for future searching.

#8718 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

Not sure where to best to post this, but here's a recent experience with dmap causing a crash. I was working on a map, and all of a sudden, dmap started crashing (TDM vaporized, no error dialog or anything). I turned on qconsole.log (seta logFile "2" in darkmod.cfg), and the last entry in the qconsole.log was:

[Store AAS]

This made me think it had something to do with pathfinding/AAS. Luckily I had a backup version of my map from a few hours earlier. I compared the two, and one of the big changes in the 'bad' map was that I added a bunch of Monster Clips (which of course affects AAS). Though a tedious process of elimination, I determined that one specific Monster Clip was causing the crash. I have no idea why; it was more-or-less identical to several others in the same area (each surrounding a bench in row of benches). I remembered reading something about this, so I made the brush one unit larger in each direction, and the crash went away. Go figure.

Anyway, just thought I put this out there for future searching.

You should file a bug report if not this will get lost. 

• joebarnin likes this

#8719 joebarnin

joebarnin

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Done: http://bugs.thedarkm...iew.php?id=5037

You should file a bug report if not this will get lost. 

• HMart likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users