The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Grand Christmas FM Contest!

Fidcal

Wow, that's looking really impressive considering you just started learning! :)

You should post those over at TTLG...I think people might be surprised and impressed at what a total newcomer to DR can achieve in a week or two. :)

If I could offer one bit of advice, it would be support beams for the ceilings, especially the brick ones. :)

Wow, that's looking really impressive considering you just started learning!

You should post those over at TTLG...I think people might be surprised and impressed at what a total newcomer to DR can achieve in a week or two. If I could offer one bit of advice, it would be support beams for the ceilings, especially the brick ones.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback :D

Ah yes of course, Im an engineer I should have been on top of that, doh.... but on the subject of beams I have just noticed something I need to do, change the texture on the "ceiling" of the cistern so it has the same green alge covered bricks etc..

Whoa there, I did not expect that!, looking awesome man

Thank you, but its all smoke and mirrors when the player is in the yard, Ive just made it look like there is a town beyond, but you never Know I might expand it into a real town.

At the top of my list now is how to make a working visportal and how the hell do I place AI... Ive done some testing placing, the Ai are missing their head and I havent learn about path finding yet...

Also I really really love proper actual shadows(its the one thing that turned me on about TDM, at what point will I find during beta testing what machine it will and wont run acceptably on..

And lastly I assume I can record my own noises, sfx, voices and just save them in Ogg Vorbis format and then use them within DR/TDM...?

Anyway if this weather keeps Up I wont be able to get to work so will be working on DR, oh and btw its only been 6.5 days actually :P and as Im doing so well I imagine its ok to continue with the annoying and constant questions :laugh:

Edited by Bikerdude

At the top of my list now is how to make a working visportal and how the hell do I place AI... Ive done some testing placing, the Ai are missing their head and I havent learn about path finding yet...

Heads will show up in game. A couple useful pages:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Heads_Available_for_AI (choosing heads)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Path_Nodes (making AI patrols)

Very impressive, Bikerdude! That's no beginner effort, that's already some way to Awesomeville.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very impressive, Bikerdude! That's no beginner effort, that's already some way to Awesomeville.

LOL "awesomeville", well lets just say that half of the 20hrs or so were taken up being anally retentive and redoing things untill I liked what I saw... But I have to say DR/TDM is easy to work with from a beginners point of view..

My next goals are visportals, weather and Ai...

Edited by Bikerdude

"Anal retentive" is not a bad designer trait. Now I've got to wrap my FM up, finish with the architecture already (there is still an area I must complete; the other one I planned will have to be skipped) and move on to the final stuff.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

And lastly I assume I can record my own noises, sfx, voices and just save them in Ogg Vorbis format and then use them within DR/TDM...?

Yes. I used a number of custom sounds in Patently Dangerous, if you want to see what you need to do. In the property of the speaker where you put the name of the sound (s_shader), probably the easiest thing to do is just put the file-address of your .ogg file, then just pop it into a custom folder inside your Sound folder (e.g., I could have used "Sound/patent/ambient_frozen.ogg").

For the record, the other way to do it would be to make a custom soundshader (a text file renamed .sndshd; you can look at mine, tdm_maps_pd.sndshd, in the Sound folder), which defines the name of the sound and some basic properties, then you just use the soundshader name as the property value. If you're using the location_settings to play the sound, it might be better to use a custom soundshader so you can set the volume directly (though it's even better if you normalize the volume natively). But there isn't much difference, so it's usually easier just to plop the .ogg file into the folder and use the address directly.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Wow Bikerdude, those are indeed some impressive shots, looks like a very fun and cool mission is starting to come together there, I can't wait to explore it!

Ive just created somewhere for a thief to go and get completely wankered of a friday night...:cheeky:

shot00007zp.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Ive just created somewhere for a thief to go and get completely wankered of a friday night...:cheeky:

nice shot!

:D that somehow reminds me of t3ed and how i have tried to make a bar for like... 5 hours... that was really bad. In DR its a matter of minutes :)

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

That tavern is lookin' good! :) Maybe a bit cramped, but a great layout for your AI's pathfinding.

All you need now are some wall decorations. Stuffed animal heads, mounted antlers, even putting a ship wheel on the wall might be tasteful.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

The normalmap of the bricktexture in the fireplace is inverted. I've noticed inverted normalmaps a couple of times already actually. Maybe it'd be worth starting a thread that lists inverted normalmaps, so they can be fixed in future releases...

"the week before Christmas but with a grace period of two weeks" so i think it should be out by now^^

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

"the week before Christmas but with a grace period of two weeks" so i think it should be out by now^^

Yeah thats what I was worried about, Ive spent all this time making it pretty and havent doen the Ai or the objectives... So you guys say 2 weeks grace, I would like to tray and get mine done this week or by the 31st at least.. Well I finish work at on the 24th, so have 3 day left of this week.

I might need a hand with anything thats left...

I'm pulling my map from the contest, its nearly finished but to be honest, i didn't like how the map turn out.

Perhaps in the future i'll expand it and release it but for now i prefer to finish other projects

:(

This contest should not show what is the maximum what you can do, i am sure my map cant win on any contest but i think its fun and i will release it soon...

Edited by Sonosuke