The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

My thief shall not use force, but he shall use other ways to eliminate enemies. I will start with my favorite fear: the common TDM spiderman.

The brilliant beast is patroling between the path corners as depicted in the picture and the trap door consists of two wings. I have converted these relevant brushes into func statics and linked them to a lever.

The problem is: The devious spiderman does not walk over the trap door; he always sneaks past through the brush gaps on the sides. Is it possible to create monster clips which behave like func statics?

I have also found out that I cannot activate the trap door (only one wing will open) through the lever when the spiderman touches the wings. On the other hand, if I place the spiderman on the trapdoor with patroling deactivated, it works perfectly and the spiderman drops into his wet grave where he actually belongs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Next to come: how to electrify an ungrateful mummy. This wil definitetly be a "PEGI 18" game.

post-37993-0-91892100-1514314350_thumb.jpg

The problem is: The devious spiderman does not walk over the trap door; he always sneaks past through the brush gaps on the sides.

This is probably because no aas is generated over the door (this basically tells AI where they can and can't walk).

There is a special texture you can apply to brushes that allow AI to walk into what might otherwise be empty space. It's used for elevators. I think it's called aas_solid or something like that. If you put that over the hole it should allow the AI to attempt walk over it (it's not solid, so the AI will fall into the hole).

• Like 1

Hello Springheel,

Thank your for the information; I found it under the folder "editor". Now it works.

It works even better than expected: If the player opens the trapdoors before the spiderman walks over it, he does not pay attention to the change in the environment and walks straight into the abyss like a lemming over a cliff.

Is there a way to receive a func static with monster clip properties? I already added some brushes triggered by the lever to appear with monster clip textures in order to create an obstacle the spiderman should try to avoid. It also works, but the brushes then becomes solid to both the player and the AI.

Edited by JackFarmer

Pretty sure you can make monsterclip a func_static. I used that in one mission to block some AI in a room until a certain condition was met.

Well, I tried it again, but still no luck.

I carried out the following steps:

1. Create brushes, convert them into func static

2. Set trigger links, texture brushes with monster clip

3. Set translate value

The monster clips (red frame) appear from the ground and "seal" the abyss, but the clips become an invisible solid wall for the palyer as well. I can also climb on it...

Maybe I have to change some of the inherited properties? I have already disabled the frob function.

post-37993-0-81054800-1514385150_thumb.jpg

Well, after afresh dmapping it works, but I did not change anyhting...

Part of the dmapping process is to create pathfinding information as well as the collision data. So you probably forgot to dmap in the first place after adding the monsterclip etc.. and the game was using the old collision data.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Stupid question. I forgot. How do you change the brightness of a projected light? I can't change the size of the light, and can't seem to find

how to do it on google.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Stupid question. I forgot. How do you change the brightness of a projected light? I can't change the size of the light, and can't seem to find

how to do it on google.

Select the light and press L, be aware that projected lights need to have lower setting that omni lights. For example I use 10-20 for moon window projections.

Select the light and press L, be aware that projected lights need to have lower setting that omni lights. For example I use 10-20 for moon window projections.

I do that, and the only value I can enter is colour, which is why I was lost. I thought there was a dialogue in there that let you enter luminosity, but I don't

see it. I'm tired, and sore, so maybe that's having an effect.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

The Light window changed a few versions back. Assuming you're using a recent version, you need to look for the "luminosity" value.

https://youtu.be/sz5u398AgP4?t=12m10s

• Like 1

Is there a hotkey / command in DR I can use to jump to a selected entity in perspective view? E.g. I got something selected in 2D view, but I have the camera far away, and I want to see the object in perspective view quickly.

Edit->Mouse Bindings->Camera View->Jump to Object

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thank you Spring, but I guess I didn't make myself clear. The projection seems to have a fixed depth, I want

the light to reach much deeper into the room for long shadow effects, but it doesn't seem I can extend it like you can

a normal light.

Edited by NeonsStyle

My thief develops skills I did not train him to have.

I have hidden a switch beyond a casing (made of simple brushes) and its door can be opened through a key.

The problem is, that if I get too close, my thief develops some sort of telekinesis and can activate the switch through the closed door.

How can I solve this issue? Sorry for bothering you guys once again; I cannot find a similar topic through the search function, and (as far as I can see) the problem is not discussed on the Wiki page.

post-37993-0-09744300-1514486649_thumb.jpg

Edited by JackFarmer

Hello Springheel,

Thank you very much, but I cannot find it. It is not under Textures/common/ and I do not know where to search for it under the Entitiy folder.

Can you help me out?

My next question is: What means "frob" or "frobbing"? This is a word you guys use here on a regular base, but my paper dictionary English/German does not include it and leo.org does not know it as well. Does it mean something like "interact" or "manipulate"?

Hello Springheel,

Thank you very much, but I cannot find it. It is not under Textures/common/ and I do not know where to search for it under the Entitiy folder.

Can you help me out?

My next question is: What means "frob" or "frobbing"? This is a word you guys use here on a regular base, but my paper dictionary English/German does not include it and leo.org does not know it as well. Does it mean something like "interact" or "manipulate"?

"Frobbing" is the name for clicking something that is highlighted in the game (doors, loot, etc).

You make a thin brush that goes between the player and the switch you don't want them to frob. Texture it with a "clip" texture.

Select the brush, right-click and select "Create entity". Go to Targets and select atdm:target_set_frobable

Then, you need to select the door and "target" it to the brush you just made, which will let the door trigger it on and off as it opens/closes.

You may also need to add:

"immune_to_target_setfrobable" "1"

to the door (so it doesn't get blocked by the brush as well).

delete me

Edited by NeonsStyle