The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I was going through the A to Z tutorial and marking up the text and stuff so decided to actually follow the tutorial. So far I'm having lots of fun with this new map.

shot00014kk.jpg

Is this one on the Upcoming Missions wiki or is it newer? ... Does it have a tentative name?

Thanks...

:)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Another grime before/after shots. Each wall section took quite a while but at least each is a func_static and I can clone them. They are very long walls all around inside and out. In game I think it looks better than these screenshots. I've run around these walls since 2007 and it's mostly flat ambient light and the wall shape was lost to the eye. This grime really lifts it. And yes, I'm tending to avoid convex grime more. ;)

It's a tiger by the tail though. It's not practical to grime a whole city so you have to be careful to avoid clash of grimed area then walk into an ungrimed area.

Yikes! Just noticed the fps. Hopefully that's not due to the grime.

post-400-129170996648_thumb.jpg post-400-129170999136_thumb.jpg

More like, visportals are, uh, not my forte. :huh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Another grime before/after shots. Each wall section took quite a while but at least each is a func_static and I can clone them. They are very long walls all around inside and out. In game I think it looks better than these screenshots. I've run around these walls since 2007 and it's mostly flat ambient light and the wall shape was lost to the eye. This grime really lifts it. And yes, I'm tending to avoid convex grime more. ;)

It's a tiger by the tail though. It's not practical to grime a whole city so you have to be careful to avoid clash of grimed area then walk into an ungrimed area.

Yikes! Just noticed the fps. Hopefully that's not due to the grime.

post-400-129170996648_thumb.jpg post-400-129170999136_thumb.jpg

[/ quote]

it looks like as if burned and makes it too dark.

I think it's pretty good, but may benefit from a few lights to break up the uniform darkness a bit.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I've reduced it slightly on the outer light grey walls. There are already lights cast from all the windows (10 actually!) that are more evident as you walk along. I might develop those a little but the old enemy performance in this open area is a problem.

The beginnings of something fine! :) Love the dark colour scheme and that lighthouse.

Good work so far, I especially like the second and last shots. Something about the wood above the large pipe makes it look pretty neat. And the last shot has just enough detail going for it, I don't think it needs much else there in terms of additional details. It's a simple image but executed nicely.

I only saw one screen before the workplace filter crapped-out but it looked very promising! This might be another good candidate for a zip package of TGA's for Moddb... (hint hint @Bikerdude :)).

(...jdude needs to let us "rubes" know more about the progress on his other long-awaited mission too...

...just sayin' ;) )

I like the images, but I don't know if it's the best practice to post WIP screenshots at moddb. After all, the images are supposed to promote TDM in the best possible way, so it'd probably be better to post some images of FMs in their final status.

Regarding the seams on the wooden planks, would it be possible to cover them up somehow? On the second screenshot small beams could maybe be used and the 90-degree corners on the other screenshots could be made out of brickwork or a separate part of planks, or something like that.

Cool idea with the lighthouse. Does the lightcolume actualy rotate? :)

I like the images, but I don't know if it's the best practice to post WIP screenshots at moddb. After all, the images are supposed to promote TDM in the best possible way, so it'd probably be better to post some images of FMs in their final status.

99% of the images posted at Moddb by other modders are WIP shots (unfinished models, art direction sketches, weapon demos, etc).

Ask yourself these questions "Are you interested in the progress of your favorite Mod? Do you want to see what they are doing right now verses waiting for the end-result?"

I understand the philosophy of putting your best face forward but people absolutely LOVE to know about WIP.

That is my take on the topic, if the team say no WIP at Moddb I would certainly understand. :)

I understand the philosophy of putting your best face forward but people absolutely LOVE to know about WIP.

I'm with STiFU on this one. Those people who would love to see these type of early WIP shots are the kind of people who would already be visiting these forums. Remember, the purpose of moddb is to promote TDM, not mirror the official website / forums. Of course there are other mods have loads of WIP updates, but that's no reason to do this as well. Besides, these are FM specific not WIP images of future features to TDM itself, where do you draw the line when you've got scores of WIP images from FMs to choose from (many of which may never get released).

My feeling is showing WIP of TDM features is possibly fine, but only completed FMs should be advertised outside this site.

I think we have enough FMs made that we could "feature" existing FMs on the moddb site with new screenshots, and it's still news.

That rotating lighthouse is pretty cool. I love to see an actual light rushing across the landscape.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.