The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Oh man, I wish! But SEED is helping greatly. I'm using it in a few areas already and am about to make greater use of it. I have just pine trees so far, but will be adding my custom trees if I can (but I doubt it... they are made in a special way)... I wish I could merge a func_static patch with a model and link it as one entity to SEED.

But you can!

* export the patch with the ASE exporter as an .ase model

* create an entityDef that has this .ase model as model (func_static, basically)

* create a new entityDef, which is basically inherit from the pine tree, and then add a "def_attach" line which spawned another entity, there add you entity class with the patch.

* then link that entity def class to SEED

That should be all to it. If you need further help, just ask here.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

...And that blueness is something mappers should take a lesson from.

When you're in very low light, the world seems a bit bluish like in that image.

Also I liked the way Amnesia: The Dark Descent treated the player in pitch black darkness. Slowly you gain a low-range dark vision, like a blue head lamp of sorts. A cool and immersive effect.

I wonder, should the standard ambient world light be always, in fact, a little bluish to generate similar feel?

I have thought on many occasions playing TDM that such a thing would be highly desirable.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

About blue ambient:

I have thought on many occasions playing TDM that such a thing would be highly desirable.

Hm, since most mappers modify the default values, anyway, changing the standard values will not help.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I put some bluish tint in some dark rooms and people said it looked too much like T3, which they didn't like.

But anyway it's an ancient technique they've been doing in cinema as long as there's been color, and in painting since forever, so it's got pedigree.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

But you can!

* export the patch with the ASE exporter as an .ase model

* create an entityDef that has this .ase model as model (func_static, basically)

* create a new entityDef, which is basically inherit from the pine tree, and then add a "def_attach" line which spawned another entity, there add you entity class with the patch.

* then link that entity def class to SEED

That should be all to it. If you need further help, just ask here.

Thanks. If I ever get a script menu in DR, I'll do that.

My problem is that I can't use the .ase export because I have no script menu, even though I have ALL dependencies installed (and then some). I have not seen a script menu since one of the very first times I installed DR, before I even started learning it.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I played around with the ambient colors. Just to find an interesting tone.

I used as a starting point my own default ambient: red 13, green 13, blue 13. That has been used in all my missions.

I found a color very similar to the Amnesia: The Dark Descent dark rooms. Works nicely for exterior and somewhat lit rooms.

red 8, green 8, blue 15.

It will not affect the light gem, and will make lit areas feel more warm (and inviting) and dark areas more cold. Better than the standard grey one I thinks.

There is no point in posting screenies as those will not show the ingame effect.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I played around with the ambient colors. Just to find an interesting tone.

I used as a starting point my own default ambient: red 13, green 13, blue 13. That has been used in all my missions.

I found a color very similar to the Amnesia: The Dark Descent dark rooms. Works nicely for exterior and somewhat lit rooms.

red 8, green 8, blue 15.

It will not affect the light gem, and will make lit areas feel more warm (and inviting) and dark areas more cold. Better than the standard grey one I thinks.

There is no point in posting screenies as those will not show the ingame effect.

Wow 13 for ambient is really really bright! 8/8/15 would be okay as that's what I use (8 anyways) and that seems to strike a good balance between washed out and too dark shadows.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I generally just use 8 to start, 10 to bias towards one. More than that looks pretty washed out to me.

That said, I might post a bunch of new textures I've been working on sometime, trying to make them a bit more interesting! Finishing up foliage, some cave/rock walls, a bit like HL2 ep2.

Wow 13 for ambient is really really bright! 8/8/15 would be okay as that's what I use (8 anyways) and that seems to strike a good balance between washed out and too dark shadows.

I think we might be confusing value to the rgb here.

Note that red 13, green 13, blue 13, means hue 0, saturation 0, value 5. It is not that bright and it has worked well for all my missions. Darkness is actually rather dark.

It also depends probably what your base gamma settings are. I have set my gamma as per training mission instructions and found the optimal ambient light for my missions after that.

First I used hue 0 saturation 0 value 8, but that was too bright and later corrected everything to hue 0, saturation 0, value 5. I do not know the rgb values for those.

Value 8 ambient did affect the light gem, but value 5 did not.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I generally just use 8 to start, 10 to bias towards one. More than that looks pretty washed out to me.

That said, I might post a bunch of new textures I've been working on sometime, trying to make them a bit more interesting! Finishing up foliage, some cave/rock walls, a bit like HL2 ep2.

Please do :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, not my work but a project I will be working on.

A girl named Jessica Dihn who is doing some great hand painted stuff posted a link to her resume at Polycount. I noticed these 3 awesome models that would be great for TDM. She made them in school and was happy to share them with us. She also seemed pretty stoked on TDM and thought she would probably enjoy playing it. She can't really contribute more as she is close to being done with school and looking for work.

But she is happy to contribute these and only wants to be listed in the contibutor section which I think (actually told her we would) is more than fair enough.

I'll still need to export, make some shadow meshes, maybe an lod, some drawers (I think, haven't looked yet so not sure if the models has interiors).

teapotblog_01.jpg

cupboardblog_01.jpg

clockblog.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Wow. That's going to make some other models look pretty crappy by comparison. :unsure:

Oh yes, that's very good work. :)

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wonderful, work from Jessica. Just what we need! Bringing these into game with the highest resoltion + one LOD wouldbe really really cool (for close up camera shots)