The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Looks very similar to the maps I made for my missions: simple, conveys the space well, but not very fancy. (That's what maps are for ;) )

I use Inkscape: I have a .png parchment file around, then I draw on it with black and enough transparency. Inkscape does vectors, so you can grab the lines and twist them a bit to make them look more "hand-written". After that I export into png->tga->dds.

I feel the actual drawing is easier than in GIMP, but that's preference I suppose...

Oh, and remember to make sure that white background is transparent in the final file! It's annoying to do afterwards...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks. It is supposed to look like an ink sketch. I've done this using a path of beziercurves drawn with the ink tool. GIMP can export and import .svg so I could try Inkscape to. It's propably better suited to the task.

The white background is a result of the jpg conversion. The source has transparency.

When I make a map I draw it on a white piece of paper and then scan it. Than I set white to alpha in gimp and put it over the blank map shipped with the startmap. It's a pretty easy way to do it as it does not require much work to be done.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

If you've played my first FM and took a look at the map you knew I can't draw either. :P

Ah but, I like the sound of that. OS, can you do me a basic tut for gimp on how to convert my A4 drawing etc..?

• draw your map
  • scan it as text (so the whole background is white)
  • open it in gimp, there is an option called "color to alpha", use the color white (#FFFFFF)
  • rectangle select it, cut it out
  • open the blank paper from the startmap package in gimp (its called map_of_)
  • insert the cutted map into it, drag-resize it
  • export it as png or tga or whatever file format is used for maps (can't remember now)
  • drink a stout

If you take a scanned pencil drawing,and load it on photoshop/gimp, put it on a layer over the paper image and set the drawing's layer to multiply - this will get rid of the white background and blend the pencilled lines over the lower layer. Is this what you mean?

PS: didnt see Obs' post.

Edited by RPGista

... conversion process...

Yup, that's pretty much it. I'd just recommend if you're using colour to alpha rather than multiply, that you make a duplicate layer or two and blur them slightly, then multiply those under the alpha layer. Makes things look a bit more used and organic :)

Just make a brick brush. Align texture nicely so that the brick brush is one 'stone.' Then make a depression into a wall and add those bricks into the depression. Rotate each of the bricks a bit so that they look broken. Apply some texture into the depression so that the brickwork looks older or more rotten in the damage area. Put some bricks on the floor in front of the wall damage. Done.

I made that damage into an .ase model detail module so that I can add wall damage wherever I please just by smacking the model into the depression in a wall. Each of the bricks on the floor are a single brick model I can scatter around.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.