The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

No, the building was orthogonal. I just tried to create a sloped roof from two triangular walls and two flat brushes representing the roof itself - and failed miserably. Fortunately, I don't need an attic anyway, so I could just slap a cube there and cut its upper edges to get the same effect. But I saw fan missions with houses which managed to have an attic inside a triangular roof ("Knighton Manor" for example), so I was curious if there is a simple way to build those.

While you're cutting out a cube to be triangular & roofish, you can also cut the inside out to have a room.

Even aside from the relative simplicity of that, if you connect brushes together separately you're courting trouble, as it seems you've already discovered.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm more so interested if there is a faster way of finding specific files rather than sifting through the pl4's say if we wanted to modify them and include that copy with a map. If there isn't well yeah whatever but maybe someone here had a more efficient way :)

Extract all pk4s into a new folder (perhaps 'darkmodExtracted'). When done, you no longer have to search pk4s, and it no longer matters which pk4 a particular file came in.

the complicated way of creating roofs with attic's is to use block primitives and drag the vertices into the position you want, but you have to select two opposite vertices at the same time then drag them both at the same time else it distorts the brush. to select vertices press shift while using mouse1 to select the points. you also need to use the snap to grid button when the two points are selected to get a more uniform roof. best to try out in a dummy map first to get it to work.

I sometimes wish we had a weld feature, where you select 2 verts, hit some button, then the first snaps to the 2nd.

Be easy to get geometry you know is seamless that way.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Here is how I would do a slanted roof that separetes interior and exterior: the clipper truly is the mappers best friend.

Ki2P4nP.png

Be sure to make all the slanted brushes thicker than 8 units. If you have too thin brushes because of the slanting, sound will penetrate through your brushes.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have a similar way to make attics like that, slightly different though.

Step 1 create a room

hzeg.jpg

Step 2 create another brush on top of the room

hck.gif

Step 3 User clipper to line up as shown in the image

hze.gif

Step 4 Do the same for the other side

28hn.png

Step 5 Use clipper to slice a brush from the bottom part of the triangle (Use Shift+Enter)

oti8.png

Step 6 Use clipper to slice a brush from the top of the triangle (Use Shift+Enter)

hf7d.png

Step 7 Use Clipper to slice a brush from the side making a wall (Use Shift+Enter)

a833.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Step 8 Place the clipper points as shown and use Shift+Enter to slice out a brush

fixz.png

Step 9: Do the same thing for the other side

mbge.png

Step 10 Select the inside brush

xk7f.png

Step 11 Delete the inside brush, now you have an attic

vmdk.png

Step 12 Everything was made on grid, but just in case, select all the verts and press Ctrl+G to align them to grid.

jr5h.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

So what might cause a texture to load on brushes and func_static in a map, but be missing on the SEED produced items of the same for someone else?

(Ironically, the properly displaying brushes came from the SEED sources, which were copied with space, reverted to worldspawn, to be stretched/rotated/placed on the map.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I am terrible at making skyboxes does anyone know how to or have a good skybox that can be open? For example with the default Starry Night one I had if I goto certain areas you can clearly tell it is a skybox because the clouds have a cut off point. Is there a skybox which you can use for an area where it is an open field say for example?

Generally, you should design your map so that the skybox is always high up. The player should not be able to get to see the horizon area. If you design your map like that, you don't need a fancy custom skybox.

If you deliberately design the map so that the player can see the horizon (like the entry area of LQD), you probably need to do your own skybox.

Here is a tutorial how: http://wiki.thedarkm...Skybox_Tutorial

If it looks too complex at this point, maybe you should just build high walls, houses and whatever to force the player not to see the horizon. Blocking the player vision is essential, block the view with anything you can get away with.

Clipper

Generally, you should design your map so that the skybox is always high up. The player should not be able to get to see the horizon area. If you design your map like that, you don't need a fancy custom skybox.

If you deliberately design the map so that the player can see the horizon (like the entry area of LQD), you probably need to do your own skybox.

Here is a tutorial how: http://wiki.thedarkm...Skybox_Tutorial

If it looks too complex at this point, maybe you should just build high walls, houses and whatever to force the player not to see the horizon. Blocking the player vision is essential, block the view with anything you can get away with.

Is it possible to have two different active Skybox's? Say in one area you have a Skybox and then in another a different one?

Is it possible to have two different active Skybox's? Say in one area you have a Skybox and then in another a different one?

http://forums.thedar...post__p__318626

It say something about 'syncing' a skybox and it implies that you change skybox from one to another, but it is not clear how. Maybe grayman will comment about the details?

EDIT: ah, it looks like you switch the sky-texture view to a certain skybox camera simply by triggering the aforementioned skybox camera:

http://forums.thedar...post__p__318333

Clipper

This might be easier than my texture question apparently was...I'm trying to float an AI over the brush level the player walks on, monsterclip failed until I raised it 48 over the other, but the AI will wander until alerting to the player, then it won't move, just rotate like it's blocked.

Without an AAS (changing it to "elemental" or "-") it works fine and chases/attacks, but throws the obvious error at the map start.

So any suggestions to float or hover an AI?

(Fly offset doesn't seem to do anything, or I'm not properly implementing it. I read mention of a hover hack but haven't been able to search it out.)

To clarify, I just want the AI to navigate appearing higher than the player's floor, with both able to travel/interact in the same locale.

PS: I forgot to mention that actually makeAAS elemental causes a map inhibiting error. Also the monsterclip hack has the limitation that other AIs in that space would be at the wrong height.

---------Edit to answer my own question for future searchers... "offsetModel" does exactly this, I don't know how I missed it previously having gone through the spawnargs individually, but I did.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Something weird happened to me when I were trying out the readable editor. Everything looks fine in DarkRadiant, but in-game the text is displayed horizontally instead of vertically. Is there something I could do to make this not happen?

Huh, never heard of that before.

Huh, never heard of that before.

Solved that in the meantime - it seems there are two kinds of each GUI - with and without the suffix "_world" in its filename. The ones without the suffix display text properly. I chose guis with "_world" in their names, which don't seem to differ in any way from their counterparts in the Readables Editor, but in-game display the text horizontally.

Two questions if anyone knows the answers

First is what happened to atdm:ai_steambot_guard ?

In DR it just has a shader not found texture on it and if I place it in anyway it shows up as a black box then crashes the game.

Second is a Blender related question so I had a friend create a model for me and when I import it into my map (place it into the models folder) it shows up in DR correctly minus the texture there seems to be no texture on it. He said he had to bake it or something in order to get it working but then when he does that it wont export to ASE and he has to export to an obj and mtr file. But I cannot figure out how to get these into the game.

So what should I tell him when it comes to getting the texture onto the model? As I don't think you can do that in DR (but I could be wrong).

Many thanks!

Edited by Goldwell

So I was reading the wiki here on how to create a moveable brush http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Moveables#Create_a_Collision_Model_.28CM.29 and everytime I try to run my map I get the "no collision model" error .. so I followed the instructions there and deleted the ".cm" file and dmapped again.. but it still doesn't work and gives me a "no collision model" error.

Is there another fix for this?

You want to make a custom moveable object?

Make a simple brush with a collision texture on it. Make it into a moveable entity.

Insert your real model inside this collision model. Bind you real model to the collision model. Make your real model "solid 0"

Examine the firewood in the abandoned house of The Transaction how to set it up in more detail, I cannot remember.

• Like 1

Clipper

Yes you have to make a collision model. I actually just used the collision model from another model that was close enough in shape & it worked well enough, and that was pretty easy to do, but that's before I knew you could make your own by just putting a collision texture on a brush.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been posted before but I'm terribly confused as to how to use the startpack (The tutorial is vague at best and utterly confusing at worst). Could anybody walk me through the installation steps? It doesn't need to be very detailed. My main source of confusion is where to put all of the materials. For example, I can open startpack.map in Dark Radiant no problem and start mapping that way but where to place all of the other folders that come packed with it is a mystery to me. Surely not in the main darkmod directory? Also, I don't seem to be able to create project shortcuts. Creating a folder in fms and then adding +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game <folder> for example doesn't make it so it is installed when I run Dark Mod (when I do the same thing with DR it says the folder doesn't exist).

Aah... Things changed recently with Darkmod Version 2 so that article probably needs adjusting. I'm rather rusty about this but I think if you create a folder called startmap in the darkmod/fms folder then unzip into there. Or it may be the startmap folder is already in the pk4 in which case just extract it into fms. Likely then you can select it in the missions list in Darkmod. Sorry to be so vague but I think once you've done that then you map and dmap it in the console.

There is a possibility that startmap might not work in 2.0 anyway or there might be errors. Hopefully not. It works just like a mission and most of the existing missions were carefully checked to be compatible with Darkmod 2.0 but it is unlikely that startmap was.

There may also be a way to set another folder but without researching it myself I'd best leave it to others.

If you get really stuck though, I'll make an effort to install it myself and take a look.