Photo

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry (56 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (11 votes [19.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

3. Good (14 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Excellent (23 votes [41.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.07%

5. Near Perfect (8 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (2 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. Good (25 votes [44.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.64%

4. Excellent (21 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Near Perfect (8 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (7 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Good (22 votes [39.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

4. Excellent (21 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Near Perfect (6 votes [10.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

Three weeks since Fredham set me up on that bankjob. He said it would be an easy job, said he had an inside contact. Little did I know that they would betray me and make me take the fall. I can not say I am innocent, I tried to get into a sealed off place full of gold and here I am, locked in a small cell in a gold mine. The punishment fits the crime I guess... The story takes its beginning when the lord of earth desided to drive his fist down on this place. I can't describe it. There was just a hideous crack and the whole mountain started to shake as if the rock king decided to roll over. Three bright flashes and smouldering green smoke seeped through the air. I believe the whole mine complex have fallen asunder. Luckily my cell is still intact and I am still alive and breathing...Haven't seen the guard for a while. Maybe he succumbed to the earthquake...I hear a noise. Maybe it's the guard coming to serve me my daily crusts...But...What is this!

DESCRIPTION

This is my first map and it is a quite unique map, architecturally speaking and it is not meant to be realistic in all manners. It has certan unreal elements to it and some strange nooks.

BUILD TIME

8 weeks

KNOWN ISSUES/GOOD TO KNOW

x As you start as a captive you have no equipment from the start,
which means some ghosting.

x All clear windows are breakable

x FPS-drops at certain spots.

x Sometimes ambient sounds from two different locations
play simultaneously after reloding.

CREDITS

Henrik Swenson who's made some ambient music. Custom sounds taken from a custom sound CD, no particular name of the company.

THANKS TO

Fidcal - Has answered my many questions along the way.
Bikerdude - Betatesting and assistance on visportaling.
Also thanks to my other betatesters; Sotha, Chiron and Baddcog

DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire...nvdtk2dlr22sj9t

Enjoy!

/Fieldmedic

EDIT!

A new version is uploaded! The old version hasn't got any written version number, but this is Betrayal ver 1.1 (Unofficial undertitel: The Good Edition) (see the notes)

Changes:

Spoiler

Edited by Fieldmedic, 01 September 2010 - 09:54 AM.

#2 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

Woo first to download!
Thank goodness there is a flood of new FM's... i've played/beat every one so far :D

#3 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4330 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Woo first to download!
Thank goodness there is a flood of new FM's... i've played/beat every one so far :D

And clearing already has a preview up on his site. I swear that man has supernatural abilities to detect Thief stuff. :huh:
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#4 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

Congrats on completion FieldMedic.

Another mirror at:

http://www.fidcal.co...ns/betrayal.pk4

I can't see this at ttlg. You should start a sister thread over there so more can play. If you don't have an account I, or someone else, can post for you.

#5 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:13 AM

I believe I have a username there since last summer when I struggled with that miserable editor T3ED WITHOUT ropearrows OR swimmable water :angry:

Tread created at Through The Looking Glass!

Oh, I'm off on a cruise today for a couple of days. I'm only capable of receiving the "You have a new message" and stuff on my cellphone. And there is REALLY cumbersome to use the forum on the cell phone. So I'll have to try to relax on the cruise when everybody tries out the map...You just want to be there to feel the fray :D

#6 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7438 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

Brutal start Fieldmedic :laugh:

I did mention liking "Trapped!" so this is similar... but man is it Brutal :laugh:

Thanks again.
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#7 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

Haha :D glad you enjoyed it!

#8 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7438 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

Wikified BTW... :laugh:
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#9 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Only two days until the contest is closed, right? So, do we all have to finish & vote until 12.AM Thursday or what? (Iīm using the Forums GMT+1, so I have one hour more time, right?)

Oh, and thanks for adding a mirror so fast. :)

#10 Baddcog

Baddcog

Mod hero

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

No, the close date is for submissions, unless you requested and were granted an extension.

I suppose voting will go for a few weeks?

----------
Looking foward to playing the final version. A fun mission and some very cool visuals.
Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

#11 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I like the description, it makes me want to play it. Too bad I'm restricted to vastly inferior hardware for as long as I have time Posted Image

A fun mission and some very cool visuals.

Ah well, I suppose I can sift through it for inspiration though Posted Image

#12 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4330 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

This was a surprisingly long mission for a contest. Scaling enormous heights was incorporated well, and the horror element also worked (although for me, the mission wasn't as frightening as some parts of The Rift). The loot objective was not entirely problem-free because (mild, non-specific spoilers)
Spoiler

On the other hand, the feeling of getting higher and higher and yet higher gives an exhilarating feeling of progress and accomplishment, making this a good vertical mission even if, in quantity, most of the gameplay took place on horizontal "planes".
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#13 Carnage

Carnage

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Very nice mission, I really enjoyed it. I loved the part where the story totally changed. Didn't get stuck anywhere or what so ever, it was challenging at some points but not too difficult. Looking forward to your next mission

#14 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'm still playing through this one, but had a couple of positive notes.
Spoiler

#15 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Mirror: http://bloodgate.com/fms/betrayal.pk4

Can't wait to check it out!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#16 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5542 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

Fieldmedic, you really pulled this one off.

Spoiler

So all in all: pretty impressive work, especially considering this was your first map. I'm interested to see your future works.

Jättebra! Enjoy the cruise, you've definately deserved it! B)
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#17 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

The mission is really good and scary. However, it is ruined by technical issues (where I am not sure if some of them are mission specific, but at least quite a few are TDM specific):

* I got a "AAS32 out of date" message (which seems to be common under Linux), so I dmapped it again. That seemed to help the AI not running in some circles anymore. Seems tobe solved, so:

* Got this console error really spamming the console 10 times pers second:

huge translation for clip model 0 on entity 85 'henry'

Don't know what is with that, but after quite some minutes it ended with:

Damage dealt: 6
Damage dealt: 3753661

Uhoh... Was that me? :D

Anyway, in the lower areas I got very choppy framerates, and in the upper areas, too, it is about 3..5 FPS. Since my computer is really fast, I am not sure what to make out of this?

* the ambient music is very loud, and the ambient slider does not affect it at all. It got me so nervewracked I had to put my headphones down :)

And last but not least:

* I also got infected by the "weapons bug", where you no longer can attack with your weapon, or throw stuff (it just drops to the floor).

So I had to abort the mission :(
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#18 Baddcog

Baddcog

Mod hero

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

I'm stuck at the second floor.
Spoiler

I have
Spoiler

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

#19 Igor bes Thiefer

Igor bes Thiefer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

Baddcog, here's a hint :
Spoiler
, and here's a full spoiler:
Spoiler

#20 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

@Tels:
My goodness, there must be something wrong with your install or sth! I found the ambient music barely hearable! Do you have the sound-slider maybe not at full? Because as I played with decreased sound-slider (overall-sound I mean) I had too loud ambients too. I donīt play on Linux, though.
I had no frame-lags either, only at the top but it was still 30 frames I guess...

about the mission:
By the builder, tis was not expected!!! Really, as I read your introduction here, Fieldmedic, I thought: "Oh no, what does that mean. Doesnīt he know that I donīt like unrealistic missions?" ;) And as I started I felt certified. But as I got to the
Spoiler
the mission began and it was one of the best missions I played so far! Take this: I spent 5:16:32 hours in there!! Can you believe it? And I enjoyed every minute (even the beginning area)!! :) For completion: I found
Spoiler
loot.

Gameplay: Excellent

Spoiler
There was really nothing wrong with your mission, especially if it was your first one! I can only imagine what gem you will form next time...

Appearance: Good
Spoiler

Story & Text: Excellent
By the story I felt very well entertained. I was happy to have so much to read. Thanks for that! :)

Overall it was a damn good solid mission that shows very well how much the quality of TDM-missions has increased since the last contest!!

A little bug-report, though:
Spoiler

#21 jdude

jdude

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

I loved it. The only problems I had were technical ones. I think this is in my top 5 favorites. I don't know why or how but from the start to the end I was engrossed in it. I loved how almost everything was movable, especially the brushes and I loved how every place was unique, there was no stamping of one place to make another. I was interested and had fun from start to finish and it had a difficulty curve that was very near perfect. I don't like when your expected to find really obscure little things or when your on a path so easy it's like running from A to B so I think this map got it just right. The unique objects you've made also spice up the game, as soon as I got the first nugget at the start I thought 'ohhh nice!' The music was superb. Sometimes mappers just pick one song that drones on forever it seems which sucks if your stuck in that spot because you get sick of the 30 second loop quite fast. This map doesn't do that imo and it added to the atmosphere rather than doing the opposite. The lighting, minus the technical fps aspects was good and so was all the AI placement except for 1 guy who I will mention under technical problems. Very nice map :) The way you rate it sucks though because fun and FPS are under the same category, I would have given 5 for fun and 2 for fps but I cant :(

Some technical problems I had were:
Spoiler

Some parts I'm not sure were supposed to work as they did were:
Spoiler

While playing it I was thinking the ambient was a bit bright but it didn't occur to me until just now to just adjust the brightness in my own game... <_<

#22 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3118 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:04 AM

Fieldmedic, I am truly impressed that your first mission was so good. Did you have any other prior experience in mapping besides your tries in T3ED? The mission was very long and because of its diversity, it never got boring. This was also the first time, that I actually had to search a little bit to achieve the expert loot objective, which is good!! And I am still missing the key to one chest... :-) The gameplay was great as well. There was a lot of climbing and mantling of course and also classic thief elements. The overall visual level of quality was good, although it varied in some areas. However, you managed to convey a very good atmosphere by your visuals in all areas.

As far as the technical analysis goes, I had some lower fps on the upper parts, but all playable. Also no issues with ambient volume etc.

My opinion: You're facing a really close battle against "The Glenham Tower". At least these two missions are my favorites in the contest. :)

Spoiler

The exact same thing happened to me, only that he saw me, but I managed to make a run. :) Laughed my ass off!! :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

#23 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

OOOOOhh :o ... NO (whacks hand away from download button) GOTTA STUDY DAMN IT, GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK
Posted Image

#24 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1502 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

Awesome mission! Really catching!
Only a question:
Spoiler

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#25 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1502 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

Spoiler

Thanks!

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users