124 replies to this topic

#101 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

You definitely did top notch work here

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you appreciate it as both in Blender and in DR it's intensive work to make a ship. Regarding physics simulation, I do agree that Blender has fun gadgets. It turned a flat plane into a 720,000 tris ocean with sliders for wind speed, wave choppiness, foam etc. with a single modifier. But then mixing together a graphical shader for the surface amounts to arcane magic.

It's said actions speak louder than words, and the mission I just put into testing has a nobleman admiring the model ship. :smile:

I very much look forward to meeting this nobleman you know.
  • RPGista and Anderson like this

#102 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:30 PM

POPULAR

A handful models which I recently finished up for purposes of my mapping:

Coffin

zZQOp06.png

A prop that will be needed in my story. Part of the testing procedure was checking to see whether a skeleton could be lifted into it and whether the lid would still close (not a spoiler btw).

Dropbox - Coffin

Fireplace

5TNs11j.jpg

This is precisely the kind of fireplace I'm after for my settings - this one was made in DarkRadiant.

Dropbox - Fireplace

Builder Altar

OYO9sWf.png

For a long time this model had strange black smudges all over it ingame - until Blender converted it into .lwo. That handily solved everything.

Dropbox - Builder Altar

Barouche

v0vjVYy.png

Now, even with newly improved seating derived from Epifire's armchair, this one's ready for action.

Dropbox - Barouche

Edited by Dragofer, 02 June 2016 - 04:33 AM.

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, Melan and 7 others like this

#103 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:53 AM

Top notch work! I really like the look and feel of these objects - just the proper, slightly antique style that fits TDM.

• Dragofer likes this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#104 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

Top notch work! I really like the look and feel of these objects - just the proper, slightly antique style that fits TDM.

Great, I'm glad you value these.

#105 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

Looks great, but the Builder altar cloth really should have its own texture. Right now it looks like someone draped a carpet over it.
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#106 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

Looks great, but the Builder altar cloth really should have its own texture. Right now it looks like someone draped a carpet over it.

That is, indeed, a carpet. When I made the altar I looked through existing textures and saw that there was already a large selection of suitable ornate and plain fabric textures together with skins in stock, including the one you see on the altar which personally I thought was fitting, so I took those. As implied there are also non-carpet skins, but I think what you're looking for is something with Builder-themed decorations?

#107 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11620 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

... what you're looking for is something with Builder-themed decorations?

Ideally, yes.

The problem with using the existing carpet textures is that those have been ingrained in us as "carpet".

• Moonbo likes this

#108 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

POPULAR

Here's a big lamp package containing lots of new models and all those I had already made, now systematically organised -  this replaces anything else I've released that had to do with lamps. Screenshots of some of the new lamps:

eMp76Z6.pngfRGV8Xd.png
kE0WoiV.png

Album

Lamp list

Spoiler

Specs
- All lamps except the hanging lanterns can be toggled by frobbing.
- Most are up to around 1k  tris, the more complex ones have shadowmeshes.
- Covered lamps can only be extinguished by frobbing or gas.
- Bullseye lantern is a moveable.
- Gold lamps also have silver and brass skins.
- Modified particles, light entities etc. I've also replaced lamp_glass_unlit_opaque_shadowcasting with a version which doesn't glow in the dark.
- All non-oil lamps use colorme so that the glass has the same colour as the light.
- All are .lwo's, including the older ones, which saves drawcalls in multi-material models.
- Compressed package size 507kb.

Known issues
- Lamps using gaslightglass textures show up strangely in DarkRadiant because it tries to do translucency effects, but they look normal in DarkMod.
- The bullseye lantern has resisted my attempts to make better light falloff images, so it's using stock light textures at the moment.

Download
Dropbox

Blender Source files

I also made the models for these, but will need a bit of a break after digging around for this long in tdm's entity definition/material/skin/particle/lights files.

Spoiler

Edited by Dragofer, 12 September 2016 - 05:27 PM.

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, grayman and 8 others like this

#109 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

POPULAR

Something I had been wanting again and again: a privy chair, as an alternative to the privy banks we know. Back in the days people had these standing around in their bedrooms - at least those with less housing space available to them than the nobles.

SR4thiJ.png

Dropbox - privy_chair.pk4

The existing buckets turned out be quite gigantic compared to chairs, being taller than TDM's sitting height, so I've included a downscaled wooden bucket for use with this privy chair.

Edited by Dragofer, 27 June 2016 - 02:36 PM.

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, grayman and 4 others like this

#110 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:43 PM

Nice, can we have some skins for it ranging from fancy red wood to old wood etc..?

#111 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11620 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

This will go much easier on the ailing backs of our aging nobles.

• AluminumHaste, Dragofer and Goldwell like this

#112 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:35 PM

Nice, can we have some skins for it ranging from fancy red wood to old wood etc..?

Sure, here are some skins, recolours to be either very dark or in the red tone that's common in TDM's noble settings. As a side-effect, the wchair1 now also has these skins. I've replaced the original download.

If you're looking for retextures like the smooth rtable1 vs. the rough wchair1 materials I'd need to make separate models so each has its own UV map.

jHQG0Oj.png

• Bikerdude, Anderson and Aosys like this

#113 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

POPULAR

Some more modelling along the way of mapping:

BiZ3V36.jpg

An arched podest for a statue with stone benches around, for gardens, ideally lit by moonlight. You could remove the statue and put a memorial slate there instead. 1000 tris.

1vzPvIZ.jpg

An opulent marble fireplace designed for nobles, 1400 tris. Both this and the statue are prefabs.

Dropbox

• Bikerdude, grayman, nbohr1more and 4 others like this

#114 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

WOW some really impressive work there Dragofer. Could you do an outhouse? Since at the time, there was little sewage, most people didn't want

shit buckets in the house, so they used an outhouse, something like this: Not to hard to build out of brushes, but a model allows finer workmanship.

outhouse_4.jpg

and

Rustic%20Outhouse%20MKT%20I.jpg?13433902

Edited by NeonsStyle, 30 July 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#115 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:39 AM

An opulent marble fireplace designed for nobles, 1400 tris. Both this and the statue are prefabs.

The models are excellent, by only feedback is regarding the room. The door should reach the floor and the wall-floor trim be either side of it.

#116 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

POPULAR

WOW some really impressive work there Dragofer. Could you do an outhouse? Since at the time, there was little sewage, most people didn't want

shit buckets in the house, so they used an outhouse, something like this: Not to hard to build out of brushes, but a model allows finer workmanship.

Thanks - regarding the outhouse, they are already very brushes-and-patches in the way they're built, so I'm not sure how a model would differentiate itself. Possibly by making indentations in the surfaces like in the first image, but the normalmaps in the textures already go a long way towards achieving that effect. In the second image, we do have a worn door like that in the assets.

The models are excellent, by only feedback is regarding the room. The door should reach the floor and the wall-floor trim be either side of it.

Heh, I just took a suitably sized spare room in one of my WIPs, put in a simple furniture arrangement and took the shot, looks like I didn't get around to freeing up the doors of trim there yet. Maybe I should make more bombastic screenshots, ingame with moody lighting, to present my work, edit, like so:

xiuPEVd.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude, 30 July 2016 - 02:26 PM.
uploaded a brighter version, as the original was very dark.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, grayman and 6 others like this

#117 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

Very very nice work fella!

#118 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11620 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

That outside shot looks very painterly!

• Dragofer likes this

#119 Dunedain19

Dunedain19

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

Awesome work, Dragofer! 

Any chance you completed some of the unfinished light models listed above? 

#120 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

POPULAR

Thanks and welcome back. Right up until now they were in a raw state, but just went and fixed up the models and sorted out their materials and skins. They're missing entity definitions at the moment, a fiddly task that I'll have to do another time, but as they're electric lights you can just put a light inside them and give them a lit skin. Stim/response can make them switchable.

They're found in models/darkmod/lights/non_extinguishable/(vintage_lamps) and models/darkmod/lights/extinguishable/chandelier_6candles2

iczqh6O.jpg

Dropbox

Edit: saw that the candle chandelier didn't have a twosided chain yet and that bulbs weren't included in skins, fixed that.

Edited by Dragofer, 01 August 2016 - 05:28 AM.

• Bikerdude, grayman, nbohr1more and 5 others like this

#121 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:05 AM

Fantastic work fella.

#122 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5157 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Those look great!

I'm particularly happy about the fireplace. I think we really need some variety there and even a few more wouldn't hurt.

The other thing I think we could use is modeled rugs, and sheets on beds, pillows and cushions, etc, with rumpled fabric. Patches don't do it. Other variations on that theme are crumbling or holey walls, peeling wallpaper, etc. Not a request as much as I was just thinking about it and wanted to make a memo.
  • Bikerdude, Dragofer and Anderson like this
Posted Image

#123 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:59 PM

POPULAR

Ketch

My latest sailing ship, a small one this time, created in the framework of an idea I had not so long ago for a rocky coastal area in an outlying part of the world. Unlike most of my previous ships, which were rather well-kept and would no doubt have made their captains proud, my aim with this one was to give it a weathered, exposed to the elements look to befit the environment where it's found.

Various other traits also apply. First of all, this is actually a set of prefabs: closed hull or open hull with accessible interior, moored at a harbour or sailing on the ocean, and also an example interior furnishing. All prefabs are fully mapped, so they have nodrawsolid, monsterclip, noshadows settings and all the rest. As usual there's also a 1:50 scale model, either with sails fully open or rolled up.

Regarding the naming: in that era ships were named after their arrangement of sails. The sail plan of this ship has many things in common with that of a ketch, but you could get away with calling it most any other name as well. Brig, sloop, schooner, cutter, barque would be suitable for small ships.

YzMT3K1.jpg
Sailing variant

nkIwMBK.jpg
Moored variant

MdOHi2S.jpg
Deck

6XTxD3K.jpg
Hold, front

nQ5lLti.jpg
Cabin

VgysZTg.jpg
The ships of TDM, from top left by row: Airship (Pandora's Box), Carack (One Step Too Far), Caravel, Ketch, Galleon (No Honour Among Thieves, Accountant 2 & more), Steam Schooner (Down by the Riverside), Boat1, Boat2, Invernesse (Down by the Riverside), Sloop

Specs:

Spoiler

Download

Dropbox - Ketch, 5.8mb

This can be installed and started like a regular mission for those who'd like to take a look ingame. If you'd like to use it in your own map it's best to use the prefabs, not the .map.

Edited by Dragofer, 09 March 2017 - 06:15 AM.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, PsymH and 7 others like this

#124 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:16 PM

These are absolutely stunning, great work. I also love the oil lamps that you made for your last mission and if you don't mind, I'd definitely like to use them for my WIP.

• Dragofer likes this

#125 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:34 AM

Wow Dragofer the Ketch looks amazing, especially that interior!

Very well done :)

Edited by Goldwell, 01 November 2016 - 02:52 AM.

• Dragofer likes this
The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ships, carriages, lamps, ambients

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users