The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Isn't everything about the new Thief a disrespect to old fans of the series? At least you can see every aspect of it as that, because it is not exactly like the old games. And that's actually how many old schoolers see it, more so at TTLG though, where the game was rammed into the ground, when the first infos were released. Not saying that i like it, or will buy it, but do i feel disrespected by the title or the gameplay? No.

Alright. One more reason not to use it then. :P

You're missing the point. It's a joke in itself, that's why people use it, because it's emblematic of their bastardizing it. It won't be a Thief game that's for sure, but it looks like it'll be a lot of fun. I don't care really, it's not like they're wiping its predecessors off the face of the Earth. The first 2 and a half still exist so there's no reason to tear into this one with quite so much vitriol, but hey, people get protective over some things.

• Like 1

I kind of wish that they would have continued from the Thief Deadly Shadows ending. The one that came full circle and Garrett catches that girl trying to pickpocket him. Why couldn't they do this story WITH an older Garrett (yay Stephen Russell) and a new protogé that you play as? They actually almost have this already, videos and story have shown Garrett and a woman.

There was still tons of story to explore in that universe.

I had read/heard that the first Thief game was the pagans getting out of balance, then in Thief 2, it was the Mechanists, and in Thief 3 it was the Keepers themselves who needed to be brought back into the balance. Not sure what the next installment would be about though, as the first 3 wrapped everything up pretty well.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yet TDS is the game in the series this one most resembles....both in style and execution.

Hm, what is that observation based on? I don't see many similarities in style between these games. And even execution wise, TDS had so much stuff which was in both Thief 1 & 2, it had the fractions, the characters, the setting, the locations. The new Thief rather reminds me of Dishonored, which has already been mentioned many times.

I don't know what i could respond to that, really. With that kind of mentality, you put the classic Thief's on a podium, saying they were perfect, and there won't be a worthy sequel, ever. A wonder you even play TDM, as it must drive you nuts, because things are different.

There are quite some error in the points you made btw. There are missions in TDS which are as big as average missions in Thief 1 & 2 too. There are no rope arrows in TDS either, there are climbing gloves. "More loot stats on the screen" Where? "More ways to brutally kill or KO" Nope. "Speeding up the game for impatient types" It features the same stealthy gameplay as the previous parts. Actually you can't just run up on an enemy and knock him out, from the fornt or the side, which makes it even more slow you could say.

Anyway... if you don't like TDS, or the new Thief, that's fine. But make sure you're not seeing errors where there are none.

Edited by chk772

Freyja's getting pissy, missing every point made, again and again, some things since before she was even in EM's employ, on the HUD including the stupid Shroud, that has nothing to do with Immersion or being Hardcore,

Didn't seem pissy to me. And my biggest problem with the shroud DOES have to do with immersion--I think it's an immersion-breaking HUD feature that takes up way too much screen real estate, not to mention being redundant when the lightgem is on. Why they won't let us turn it off I have no clue. Is it some kind of tech demo they're contractually obligated to include or something?

There are missions in TDS which are as big as average missions in Thief 1 & 2 too.

Uh...like what?

"More ways to brutally kill or KO" Nope.

What are you basing this on? We've seen sawtooth arrows, focus-driven combo moves in combat, finishing moves, aerial takedowns, neck-twisting head bashing takedowns, etc. Far more brutal than anything that's come before.

Actually you can't just run up on an enemy and knock him out, from the fornt or the side, which makes it even more slow you could say.

How do you know this? You know jt7 is talking about nuthief, right? I assume he's referring to the swoop, which allows much quicker movement than any previous title. I'm reserving judgement on that one...haven't liked what I've seen of it so far though.

As far as I'm aware they took back their XP decision and replaced it with something else that makes more sense. Can't remember what. (this raises the issue that has been pointed out elsewhere: that someone ever thought that could be a good idea is amusingly distressful, and deems the adequacy of this team to produce this game as questionable)

As for the queer "magical powers" à la Dishonored, the "PRESS THIS KEY TO..." that show up all over the screen as if we had chimp brains that couldn't memorize 20 keys, and all that lame stuff, they seem to have made it so you can turn all that crap off.

So, as far as I'm concerned it can be a good game, despite being a bit of a dumbed down "press key to succeed" type of game. But not up to par with the series by any stretch, especially considering it 2000 and freaking 14 and we should already be light-years away from the "press key to succeed/win" type of mechanics, but from what I've seen and read the environments are just as soulless and gamey as the games from the 90s and the characters are as two-dimensional as a B-movie from the 80s... etc. Not that that isn't to be expected these days. It's just depressing.

I'll reserve my judgement to after I tried it. I'll reserve my money up to that point too.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

As far as I'm aware they took back their XP decision and replaced it with something else that makes more sense. Can't remember what

It looks like all they did was take away XP and replace it with gold. Now you "buy" upgrades to your equipment, or "stealth upgrades".

It looks like all they did was take away XP and replace it with gold. Now you "buy" upgrades to your equipment, or "stealth upgrades".

Honestly there is nothing wrong with that though. It gives you more of an incentive to steal other than whatever the main objective is because then you have money for gear/upgrades which works quite well.

So long as you don't get Gold for blackjacking and killing and stuff like that (which I assume XP might have been earned from that too, before), it makes sense that you get gold from stealing. But it still seems a bit stupid that you get the money instantly (except if you actually steal coins or something). They could have made it so you could go to a shop, sell your "acquisitions" and buy stuff with the cash.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Honestly there is nothing wrong with that though. It gives you more of an incentive to steal other than whatever the main objective is because then you have money for gear/upgrades which works quite well.

I'm not a big fan of buying "upgrades" to your skills. Equipment is okay, although they've had to make equipment cost ridiculous amounts of gold. I guess Garrett doesn't have anything else to spend money on now that he lives in a clocktower instead of having to pay rent.

How do you know this? You know jt7 is talking about nuthief, right?

Actually i thought he was talking about TDS, sorry if that wasn't the case.

As for the size of the missions, didn't think it was that drastic. The first mission felt pretty big actually, as did the Kurshok Citadel. But i stand corrected. I remember in Thief 1 & 2, the halls and gangways surely were more spacey.

Anyway, probably should just keep out of this, without any bitterness, you guys seem to care more than me. :)

Only TMA had food grant health, minus Plumsies (1-in-4 chance per item). B-) It's been brought up how easily he gulps down a whole deer leg, heh. I would not want to watch an animation of him even taking a quarter of the time to eat anything, same with converting crystals to arrowheads.

But TDP had food that gave you back health, the plums first appeared in the mission right after you lose your eye and then escape.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

All the excessive swearing in that thing makes it hard to take seriously.

@Aluminum Haste - notice he said "minus plumsies" - in other words, that's the only food prior to T2 that will replenish your health.

Edited by brethren