The Dark Mod Forums

Thief coming to PS3 & Xbox360? ... It's official now

Goldwell

the graphics will take a dive cos the 360 cant handle high definition graphics, but there's probably a chance they were already making it for current gen console's before they found out what next gen console's were going to be like. so not to waste the work they've already done with current gen they're going to release that version as well.

So if the game already has loading zones (and it does), will they now get even longer?

1) Where the burning bridge section was concerned, the level was continuous but there definitely were camouflaged loading points. I think there were two, at most three such points and it was a fairly long level. Regarding the Manor parts of the demo: I don't remember the transition from outside the manor to the inside as being seamless (MT, refresh my memory?), but loading time was very fast nonetheless.

I for one am glad this will come out for current gen. That means I don't have to get another console to play it.

On the subject of load times...

When the player fails a mission, why can't you just keep a compressed definition of where every entity belongs in RAM? Guards, loot, lights, equipment, doors. Then just revert to that, rather than loading the entire map again from disk. It isn't like you have deformable level geometry to worry about.

If the GTA developers can make games with huge environments that don't have massive load times when you screw up or enter a new "zone", why can't everybody else? I know, GTA games are never the best looking games around, but GTA 4 looks good enough. I know they stream data from the disk, and have a limited draw distance to cover it up. Big open games have to limit draw distance anyway.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Well I suppose that's gonna help out a lot of people who wont be able to afford the new consoles for a while, but I wonder how much energy it's gonna take to make the game backward compatible with 'older' hardware. I really hope the difference isn't big, so they can focus on 'the game'.

They keep mentioning their 'next-gen dog', I'm starting to think it's a joke on anyone watching, because... Why :P?

Perhaps the vanilla game will not have the dogs, or any of the "next-gen" stuff that would not work on last-gen, and then it will all be available through 10 different DLC packages on the xbone version. Thi4f: d0g |)L<. Only on XBone. XBone Launch EXCLUUSSSIIVVEE.

Wait... that gives me an idea.... Focus DLC! Shroud DLC! game runs without focus and with a lightgem, until you pay for focus and shroud DLC's. :laugh: You know, I think this is one Idea EM might listen to, because it means more pocket-lining from 'Big Casual' demographic

Edited by ungoliant

....aand if you only have the CORE game and did not pay for focus/shroud DLC, you would have big advertisement banners on screen where shroud and focus would normally be! Monetization FTW!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sir, please let us include product placement in your games. We promice that if we do, we will lower game prices for you. haha

For the record, I have no issue with product placement unless it is content that is grabbed on the fly from the net during an SP game. Privacy implications, ya know?

This is just SquareEnix seeing an opportunity to capitalize on the MASSIVE current gen market which will be way bigger then next gen which lands this December. They've more than likely had this from the start.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Its true that if they design this only for next-gen consoles, it can be insanely detailed. Both next-gen consoles have shitloads of memory (8 GB). This is in comparison to current consoles, which only have half a gig.

Given how long the game has been rumored to be in development, I can only presume that it was planned to arrive on this generation anyway.

If it's true that Unreal Engine 4 is seamlessly backward compatible with UE3 then they could presumably remove any baked lightmaps and use

the realtime radiosity\GI in that engine. They could also reduce the number map loading zones, etc.Hard to say... the PC and PS4 both have

what look like standard to high mid-range PC specs for a current PC. UE3 still can tax such systems when lots of post-processing, shaders, and

image filtering are applied. Lot's of options to play with...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The PS4 and Xbone look decently powerful. An interesting choice of 8 AMD Jaguar cores which isn't typical on desktops yet, decent graphics, fast memory and communication between the CPU + GPU for both. 8 GB of memory on both consoles. In the case of the PS4 it's GDDR5 memory.

There's also hope that the new x86 nature of the PS4/Xbone will encourage more and better game ports to PCs. If a game dev codes on a PC, and the big consoles are more like PCs, and distribution platforms like Steam make it easy and cheap to distribute a game, then there's hope for more PC releases. That's not to say that "consolidation," casualization, DLC and other annoyances won't continue to affect PC gaming, but the cure for all that is more The Dark Mod.

http://www.xbitlabs....ing_Nvidia.html

Edit: And then there's stories like this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ignite-Engine-FIFA-E3-2013-Andrerw-Wilson,23139.html

Edited by jaxa